Cool bike

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
@Yorksman
Looks nice! What is it? Hubbie has a surly long haul trucker
image.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks nice! What is it? Hubbie has a surly long haul trucker

It's a Btwin S'cape touring bike. I don't think they sell them in the UK though Decathlon in the Netherlands and Belgium do so Decathlon UK may be able to get one. The nearest Btwin equivalent in the UK is the Riverside:

zoom_b225bfe717934b25928589b33820658e.jpg

Does Hubby cycle abroad? I'm not fit enough yet to do long routes but will have a go at a shorter route in the spring. I aim to catch the Hull to Rotterdam ferry and then cycle down to Zeebrugge to catch the ferry back to Hull. It's less than a single TdF stage but will take me 4 days.

You are hindered of course by the difficulty of finding your bike in the bike park in these places:

3807446.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm thinking of getting an electric bike. I used to cycle all the time years ago, but couldn't after I hurt my back and these days my knees won't take the strain. On our hols in Germany last month we saw so many people with motorhomes and electric bikes. I think we'll be looking into it soon. Not sure what the dog will do though. Our first dog was trained to run alongside me and hubby, but I think we'd all get killed if we tried that with the current hound. Folks with motorhomes had special dog baskets or dog trailers for their bikes, but it'd have to be very large to house Pommie.

@Yorksman - My husband cycles every day, goes out with a local club at the weekend and does tours abroad. He also goes on this website http://www.cyclechat.net/ which might be of interest to you. There are folks on there who arrange to meet up for day rides, and my husband has even taken to participating in night rides, which sounds a bit odd but he seems to enjoy it.

Take care all of you cyclists - my husband was nearly taken out last week by a bus 'funneling' him after overtaking him in traffic twice. This happens a lot with buses and lorries.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Yorksman - My husband cycles every day, goes out with a local club at the weekend and does tours abroad. He also goes on this website http://www.cyclechat.net/ which might be of interest to you.

Thanks for that tip, I'll look into it.

I stay away from roads and drive to where I can cycle off road. I want it to be enjoyable, not risky. Still, I did have a heavy fall when I planted my front wheel in a heavily disguised large rabbit hole in a bank. Those farmers ought to mow the meadow more often!

Yes, electric bikes are very popular now and the range and variety is increasing all the time. I too have seen dogs being chauffeured around.

41120997_4236795044_ATtrIBUTE_THUMBNAIL.jpg

But if you have a big dog, why do you need electric bikes?

bikejoring1.jpg

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's a Btwin S'cape touring bike. I don't think they sell them in the UK though Decathlon in the Netherlands and Belgium do so Decathlon UK may be able to get one. The nearest Btwin equivalent in the UK is the Riverside:

zoom_b225bfe717934b25928589b33820658e.jpg

Does Hubby cycle abroad? I'm not fit enough yet to do long routes but will have a go at a shorter route in the spring. I aim to catch the Hull to Rotterdam ferry and then cycle down to Zeebrugge to catch the ferry back to Hull. It's less than a single TdF stage but will take me 4 days.

You are hindered of course by the difficulty of finding your bike in the bike park in these places:

3807446.jpg
Hubbie likes bike:p He has 4 which is enough as there will be no room in the garage if he gets anymore! He has 1 cannon dale F500 mountain bike, a charge plug, a viva velo and a surly long haul trucker so bit of an enthusiast! He tends to cycle in uk due to time and budget constraints and is envious of your little forays into Europe - the above picture does not put him off! :rolleyes:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No, I don't self propel. Good old NHS , when they assessed me for wheelchair, omitted the fact that I have upper spine injury, so don't have the arm strength. Been used twice in the 4 years since I got it.

Its the thought that counts though, bless them.
You could still "pimp my ride" with the skirt guards though!:D (By the way I've never watched this programme! )

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This might appeal! :rolleyes:
image.jpg

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could still "pimp my ride" with the skirt guards though!:D (By the way I've never watched this programme! )

They would just be dust covers, though, as I am not able to use the darn thing!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He tends to cycle in uk due to time and budget constraints and is envious of your little forays into Europe

I've yet to do anything serious. I have to get my fitness levels up. So far it's been a little bit during the day whilst I was there for other reasons.

I have been surprised though at what there is on my own doorstep. You have to have a bike carrier on the car and be prepared to drive somewhere but something like the Monsal Trail, between Bakewell and Buxton is wonderful. This is the view of the Dale from the trail which follows the path of a disused railway.

monsal4b.jpg

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is a useful site for finding routes in the UK
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map?...81250036&zoom=5&route-type=all-routes&filters=
I don't ride my bike enough because it really is too hilly but reading this suggests it might be time to get it out and use it.
The main route into our local town is a tdf category 3 and too much for me. I would also have to go down into another deep valley and up the other side before I even got there.(didn't think of that when we bought the house)
We sometimes put the bikes in the back of the car and go elsewhere to ride. The good thing about riding in France is that it's a popular sport so many drivers also ride and are much more bike 'aware' and give you more room ( the presumption that if a car hits a bike, it is the drivers fault probably also helps)

It's different when I'm in the UK, I have a bike (a horrid cheap heavy monstrosity) at my fathers. I love to ride along the sea front . Sometimes I take the bike on the train to ride in the New Forest.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry just passing through this lovely thread,
images
:)might go to the Peak District now thanks to @Yorksman 's view.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@izzzi If you have that sort of cool setup in the photo, you need to travel the Ochsenweg. Ox Way or Hærvejen which runs up the middle of Jutland.

blheerweg.gif

It is an ancient route and was once used by Scandinavian pilgrims on their way to Rome. A traditional caravan as in that photo would be entirely suitable for such a voyage.

And the way itself just begs 'slowly slowly does it'.

ochsw4.jpg

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@izzzi If you have that sort of cool setup in the photo, you need to travel the Ochsenweg. Ox Way or Hærvejen which runs up the middle of Jutland.

blheerweg.gif

It is an ancient route and was once used by Scandinavian pilgrims on their way to Rome. A traditional caravan as in that photo would be entirely suitable for such a voyage.

ochsw4.jpg
That begs a 29" MTB at eyeballs out:wideyed:

I'm off to ALgeria for the rest of the week, but I will post some pics of my stable. Very disappointed though, no pics of recumbents, that's my next plan.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've yet to do anything serious. I have to get my fitness levels up. So far it's been a little bit during the day whilst I was there for other reasons.

I have been surprised though at what there is on my own doorstep. You have to have a bike carrier on the car and be prepared to drive somewhere but something like the Monsal Trail, between Bakewell and Buxton is wonderful. This is the view of the Dale from the trail which follows the path of a disused railway.

monsal4b.jpg
My husband is jealous!:D:rolleyes:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

blheerweg.gif

ochsw4.jpg
Now I'm jealous! :rolleyes:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That begs a 29" MTB at eyeballs out:wideyed:

I'm off to ALgeria for the rest of the week, but I will post some pics of my stable. Very disappointed though, no pics of recumbents, that's my next plan.
Have fun! Am becoming more envious by the minute!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Multi storey bike park Amsterdam.
multistorey bikepark amsterdam.jpeg