Diabetic Clinic

mandyell43

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, It's our first visit to the Diabetic Clinic at the GP's tomorrow and even though I've spent the last few weeks reading I am still finding things a bit confusing. :confused:

Can anyone suggest good questions to ask at the clinic tomorrow? ;)

TIA.

Mandy. :)

mandyell43

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, sorry. It's my partner. Type 2. He isn't on any meds. The GP just told him to lose weight or he would die!! :(

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Mandy :)
Just wtite down any questions prior to your visit.
some might ask: how often should I check y blood glucose levels
Can I get a blood meter tester on the NHS
How do I take care of my eyes and feet
can I drink alcohol
what is high fat.
etc; etc;
Sometimes at these meetings or any meetings simple questions come to mind, so just go and try to make sense of what is said.( in other words you may be a lot wiser than you think) o_O

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, sorry. It's my partner. Type 2. He isn't on any meds. The GP just told him to lose weight or he would die!! :(

OMG that is dreadful, and awful scare tactics.

First of all, you need to know what his diagnostic blood test results were, in detail, and you need a computer print out of them. If you don't ask, you won't get in most cases, so please ask. You are entitled to these, so no need to be afraid of being assertive if necessary. If the print outs aren't immediately to hand, make sure the nurse writes it all down properly and collect the print outs later. It doesn't matter if you don't understand what they mean, you can post them on here and we will tell you.

If the nurse gives him booklets about eating a healthy diet consisting of carbs with every meal, lots of them but swap from white to brown, and low fat is good, take it but bin it on your way home. The first thing you will learn about diabetes is that not only sugary stuff needs to be cut, but also carbohydrates, a scientific fact the NHS hasn't quite grasped yet. All carbs turn to sugar once inside the system, and that includes the wholemeal varieties. I won't burden you with confusing info at the moment, but after your visit you may wish to come back and ask questions about this.

As said above, please ask for a glucose meter and strips on prescription. You may be lucky, but this is unlikely. Most of us type 2's buy our own because they are an essential learning tool as regards what our own bodies can and can't cope with food-wise. More about that when you get one. (You will also need loads of the testing strips)

Ensure he is put on the correct care pathway, which includes a foot check and a retinal eye screening test. Diabetics should have these soon after diagnosis and thereafter after 12 months.

Depending how high his levels are he may be prescribed basic medication. If his levels are reasonable then he may be allowed to try diet and exercise for the first 3 months.

Good luck and ask any questions.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I agree with Bluetit's points. Ask when the next review will be. I would expect it to be after 3 months and to be given an HBA1C blood test if one has not already been done. Ask who makes the next appointment i.e. your partner or the surgery. Hopefully it's your partner as you need to take control. Take a blood test form away with you to have this done around 2 weeks before the next review

mandyell43

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. As usual, you are all kind and helpful. I have a list to take with me now so I will report back later! ;)

mandyell43

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. So just got back from the clinic. No printout although we did get his HBA1C results which were 53 (only after I asked). No free glucose meter - "no, you don't need to test yourself". Weighed, blood pressure check (OK). Cholesterol at 4.6. Referred to dietician and for retinal screening and come back in 3 months. Oh, and lose weight was her answer to everything we asked!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on getting him on the right care pathway. You got the typical "no need to test" rubbish, so looks like you will have to do as we do and buy your own. I think the only nurses that don't say lose weight are the ones that are fat themselves.

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
Hiya, It's our first visit to the Diabetic Clinic at the GP's tomorrow and even though I've spent the last few weeks reading I am still finding things a bit confusing. :confused:

Can anyone suggest good questions to ask at the clinic tomorrow? ;)

TIA.

Mandy. :)
Ask them for a nice cup of tea!! MERRY Wednesday Richard

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. So just got back from the clinic. No printout although we did get his HBA1C results which were 53 (only after I asked). No free glucose meter - "no, you don't need to test yourself". Weighed, blood pressure check (OK). Cholesterol at 4.6. Referred to dietician and for retinal screening and come back in 3 months. Oh, and lose weight was her answer to everything we asked!!
You can get a reasonably priced BG meter kit, from amazon (Codefree Blood Glucose Monitor/Monitoring Test/Testing Kit+Strips+Lancets+Case - in mmol/L) you may want to order extra strips at the same time. Many on this forum will agree with this meter.
I love what you said.:) "Oh, and lose weight was her answer to everything we asked!!" NHS diplomacy :nurse: