Oral glucose tolerance test

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know :/ if you think I'm bad on here you should listen how I am with friends! It's a disaster! I'm just annoyed that my gp has told me I'm prediabetes and have me no information or anything on the diagnosis or outcome etc... He didn't even do a proper test which could potentially have diagnosed type 2 instead of just being pre...
With regards to the testing I'm doing he told me to moniter but barely explained what I'm looking for or even didn't show me how to do the testif...

I'm seriously worried and I feel selfish for bothering you all with it
I understand your concern, fact is he has done you a favour, lets face it you are more aware how to construct a healthy diet now
if your before breakfast reading is less than 5.5 you are not prediabetic, between 5.6 and 7 is pre diabetic, over 7 is diabetic.
how you treat this is to lose weight and reduce your carbs and go for a 1/2 hr walk a day, after a month if your fasting/before breakfast isn't below 5.5 I'd cut more carbs or get some metformin to help

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It really doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things whether you are pre-diabetic, diabetic, or on the edge of becoming pre-diabetic. They are all just labels. The self help treatment is exactly the same. As @jack412 says, lose weight, reduce your carbs and have a bit of exercise. The same goes for non-diabetics who wish to stay that way. Why worry which particular band you are in? Your doctor wasn't worried or he would have done a proper diagnostic check (unless he really is an imbecile) Just keep an eye on your levels, test less often, take a few deep breaths, and worry about something else!

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it was @phoenix that put this link up with a test of the same person on LC and HC diet response
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2444943/pdf/brmedj07161-0009.pdf

Yes, It is as you might notice an 80 year old study, it's been known for a long time,
The other thing to note is that you aren't using the same type of blood that is used for a laboratory test . At fasting, a finger stick reading using capillary blood is about the same as a fasting venous reading. After a glucose challenge though it can be very different with a much higher level in the capillary blood.
(that's ignoring any potential errors from the meter or of course the meter operator)
edit to save you reading the paper. Here is the graph, the subject was non diabetic. The higher reading reaches 200mg/dl which is 11.1mmol/l A good reason for following the instructions to eat a higher carb diet prior to the test himsworth.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, It is as you might notice an 80 year old study, it's been known for a long time,
The other thing to note is that you aren't using the same type of blood that is used for a laboratory test . At fasting, a finger stick reading using capillary blood is about the same as a fasting venous reading. After a glucose challenge though it can be very different with a much higher level in the capillary blood.
(that's ignoring any potential errors from the meter or of course the meter operator)
edit to save you reading the paper. Here is the graph, the subject was non diabetic. The higher reading reaches 200mg/dl which is 11.1mmol/l A good reason for following the instructions to eat a higher carb diet prior to the testView attachment 7090

Very interesting paper. :pompous:

In regards to glucose tolerance testing and low carbing (from http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046889.php):

If you are currently eating a low carb diet--especially a diet that provides less than 75 g of carbohydrate a day, your post-meal test result will be slightly higher than it would be if you were eating over 150 grams of carbs a day. To make this correction, just subtract 10 mg/dl (0.55 mmol/L) from any post-meal result that is over 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) at 2 hours if you are currently low carbing. This is a very rough estimate.

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
That is actually very interesting... Thank you for that!

Is it normal for blood sugar to increase to 200 after this kind of test? Or would that be a sign that the person is likely to become or is actually diabetic?

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
When I did my own test with the lucozade, I hit 8.3 (maybe more depending on meter error) within the first 35 mins or so... That seems very fast!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had numerous OGTTs and have never been told to up my carbs prior to testing. In fact up till fasting I was told to eat as normally as I could without over loading on carbs, which I am very reluctant to do.
The report is really interesting and I will have questions to ask my consultant.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I did my own test with the lucozade, I hit 8.3 (maybe more depending on meter error) within the first 35 mins or so... That seems very fast!
No it's not! I have peaked at 11.2 from 4.3 in half an hour, topping out at 12.4 after an hour. You have had a normal response! It is definitely not unusual!

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal for anyone? Or a normal reaction in diabetes?
No it's not! I have peaked at 11.2 from 4.3 in half an hour, topping out at 12.4 after an hour. You have had a normal response! It is definitely not unusual!

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Because apparently I'm prediabetes but if that is a diabetic response then :/

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Normal for a normal person
There's a reason why athletes sportsmen et al have these sort of drinks they are designed to give the body a very quick energy boost a boost that comes from the glucose sugar content.
Please stop stressing over this as it seems to me that every thing you have posted points to you being non diabetic

Reactions: 3 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slight hijack sorry Ick

This label of prediabetes seems to cause a lot of trouble to me.
In my humble opinion you are either diabetic or not, you could be at risk of diabetes but to label someone prediabetic seems a strange thing. You never hear of people being called precancerous or preparkinsons.
So why prediabetic ?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Because apparently I'm prediabetes but if that is a diabetic response then :/
You are neither. Go for a half hour walk every day. Next time you see your GP give him a slap. Or send me his address and I'll do it for you.

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Slight hijack sorry Ick

This label of prediabetes seems to cause a lot of trouble to me.
In my humble opinion you are either diabetic or not, you could be at risk of diabetes but to label someone prediabetic seems a strange thing. You never hear of people being called precancerous or preparkinsons.
So why prediabetic ?

Sorry to be pedantic, but yes you can have precancerous cells. They show up in screening tests and biopsies. In breast cancer cases they are removed by either lumpectomy or mastectomy. Sorry, off topic, but true.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to be pedantic, but yes you can have precancerous cells. They show up in screening tests and biopsies. In breast cancer cases they are removed by either lumpectomy or mastectomy. Sorry, off topic, but true.

True enough Bluetit
I just think this whole prediabetic label is at best a misnomer

Reactions: 3 people