**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hi All,
Just been for a DNS appointment after my first week of insulin pumping and she asked me when did I last change my cannula so I explained I changed my reservoir on Friday when it was about to run out and I changed my infusion yesterday. To which she replied if I change the infusion set I need to change it all!
Does everyone do that?
It seems like such a waste because I still have about half of my insulin left in the reservoir and I didn't fill it right up. Also what happens if I put it in and it doesn't feel right and I put a new one on, do I have to change the whole thing?
X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will find that different people do different things.
I change both infusion set and reservoir at the same time - because I was told to do that. I don't fill the reservoir because I would never use all the insulin.

If I need to change the cannula again, I don't change the reservoir or tubing.

It's something to do with insulin in plastic reservoirs possibly absorbing carcinogenic chemicals if used for longer than 3 days. Many pump users in the States fill the reservoir and only replace the cannulas every 2 or 3 days but continue with the same reservoir. I just do what I'm told . . . Mind you, my memory is dreadful so I would lose track of when my cannula needed changed if it wasn't changed the same day as the reservoir!

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I think when you are new to pumping, most dsns like people to fill their cartridges with enough insulin to last 3 days and change the tube and set at the same time but this is just to get people used to the procedure. I fill my cartridge with enough insulin to last 6 days and either change the sets every 3 or 2 days and use the same tube to last 6 days and replace it when the cartridge runs out. This doesn't always coincide at the same time though so I dont worry any way. Nothing bad is going to happen if the set is replaced one day and the cartridge and tube the next.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No way.. My cartridge lasts 6 days (and still waste some insulin) and the sets last 2. No way would I faff around changing everything every 2 days..

I was never told to change cartridge or tubing except if low on insulin or it was the 6th day.

In fact dreading the new pump as the cartridge is smaller and may have to change every 5 days.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Ignore your dsn, change your cannula every 3 days if tethlon and cartridge every 6 days if the insulin lasts that long in it.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm with dancer. Always told to do it this way so I've got into a routine of changing everything and only filling reservoir with enough insulin for 3 days. As others have said, we all do it our own way.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with the others (all of them!) but when I change the reservoir I would always change the infusion set as well. Not the other way round though.

I change teflon sets every 3 days, steel sets every 2 days, reservoir whenever it runs out, and I fill the reservoir so I get about 180u in a full reservoir after priming.

Reactions: 2 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My DSN told me same thing but changing the whole lot together just didn't work for me. I use Teflon sets so change every 3 days. I fill my reservoir up (about 180u) and this lasts about 4 days and then I change it and the tubing together. The tubing can start to degrade, affecting insulin, after 6 days - although many people would find they could last longer before this happened. My reservoir would never last 6 days so I don't have to worry about it. Do what feel right for you.