Type 2, Doing Well but Depression Taking Over :-(

AmyPar37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys!

Ive been diagnosed since early July 2014 was prescribed 1 metformin (which is since been increased to 2 yesterday)...

Cant deny it was a shock because it was, prior to finding out I also suffer with anxiety, panic & depression besides epilepsy (which is controlled with tabs), I cant take meds for the depression bcus of it weakening my epilepsy drugs.

Anyway this last week or so ive felt really down to the point ive felt ill, but its quite intense to what ive experienced before, my mind starts to wander & I start to think there is other things wrong with me than just the diabetes, epilepsy & depression etc...I've been quite tearful on occasions but try not to show this in front of my 12 year old son as I dont want him to worry about me.

I had an appointment with my diabetes nurse yesterday & found out I was doing really well i'd shed another 8lb since my last appointment & she was full of praise for me but I dont feel happy about it, I dread each day as I never know how im going to feel, I dread each night as I never know how im going to sleep, its my birthday on Friday & tbh if I feel like this I wont feel like going out for the meal that my son has arranged for me :-(

Any help & advice would be much appreciated :-(

Amy
xxx

AmyPar37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
have I got good news for you
https://www.google.com.au/#q=lchf ketogenic epilepsy

LCHF keto is also good for diabetes and both those things a bit better, is good for depression

Thanks for that link, i've been seizure free for over 15 years thanks to the meds as its only a juvenile form I have, i do still stress about it more than I probably should but I cant help it. I over think, i worry and I self-diagnose myself which is completely stupid but I just cant stop it. Ive had counselling at my docs & after 4/5 sessions they just tell me its a case of self-help...

Reactions: 2 people

Connie cutie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To be honest there isn't much I dislike. One thing does spring to mind though,waking up to a dark, wet, windy day. I say, "roll on summer"!!
Hi Guys!

Ive been diagnosed since early July 2014 was prescribed 1 metformin (which is since been increased to 2 yesterday)...

Cant deny it was a shock because it was, prior to finding out I also suffer with anxiety, panic & depression besides epilepsy (which is controlled with tabs), I cant take meds for the depression bcus of it weakening my epilepsy drugs.

Anyway this last week or so ive felt really down to the point ive felt ill, but its quite intense to what ive experienced before, my mind starts to wander & I start to think there is other things wrong with me than just the diabetes, epilepsy & depression etc...I've been quite tearful on occasions but try not to show this in front of my 12 year old son as I dont want him to worry about me.

I had an appointment with my diabetes nurse yesterday & found out I was doing really well i'd shed another 8lb since my last appointment & she was full of praise for me but I dont feel happy about it, I dread each day as I never know how im going to feel, I dread each night as I never know how im going to sleep, its my birthday on Friday & tbh if I feel like this I wont feel like going out for the meal that my son has arranged for me :-(

Any help & advice would be much appreciated :-(

Amy
xxx
Hi there, I feel something similar these past few says, it's just awful. To be truthful earlier this evening I wondered how I would pass the time before going to bed. At the same time I have problems sleeping and I don't even feel tired.
Strangely it's my birthday on Friday too and I couldn't care less. Isn't that dreadful? Let's hope we feel much better before Friday, you never know it might be the very "medicine" we need. Take care. marikyn

AmyPar37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I feel something similar these past few says, it's just awful. To be truthful earlier this evening I wondered how I would pass the time before going to bed. At the same time I have problems sleeping and I don't even feel tired.
Strangely it's my birthday on Friday too and I couldn't care less. Isn't that dreadful? Let's hope we feel much better before Friday, you never know it might be the very "medicine" we need. Take care. marikyn

Thank you for your reply.

I keep trying to tell myself that im fine & its nothing more than a phase of intense anxiety again, just as some consistency had been built up wham it comes back...im hoping & praying my mood lifts by Friday as there is nothing worse than putting on a brave face in front of people when your feeling ****...i know I should be feeling pretty good about myself as my nurse was really pleased with me on Monday and the weightloss should be boosting my mood but its just not at the moment :-( xx

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may be worth getting your Vitamin D levels tested as depression is one of the symptoms of deficiency of this vitamin.

Reactions: 4 people

AmyPar37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be worth getting your Vitamin D levels tested as depression is one of the symptoms of deficiency of this vitamin.

I did ask my nurse on Monday about vitamins and she said that I didnt need any...i asked mainly bcus of the tiredness that ive been experiencing lately.

Connie cutie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To be honest there isn't much I dislike. One thing does spring to mind though,waking up to a dark, wet, windy day. I say, "roll on summer"!!
I got my vitamin levels checked about three weeks ago and am on Adcal. It showed a vitamin D deficiency. I don't know if it's Adcal or not but the headaches and neck pain I have are really severe, to the extent I can hardly lift my head. I see my GP Friday afternoon so I hope he can throw some light on this. I am honestly at the end of my rope. Saying that I also have Fibromyalgia so the neck pain could be a flare up of it. It's a vicious circle. I'm also attending CBT and Tai Chi weekly but I don't think I am getting anywhere with it either.
It's one thing dealing with, Depression, Diabetes and Fibromyalgia, but mix them all up and it is far from pleasant. However, I console myself by telling myself there are a lot of people a lot worse.

AmyPar37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my vitamin levels checked about three weeks ago and am on Adcal. It showed a vitamin D deficiency. I don't know if it's Adcal or not but the headaches and neck pain I have are really severe, to the extent I can hardly lift my head. I see my GP Friday afternoon so I hope he can throw some light on this. I am honestly at the end of my rope. Saying that I also have Fibromyalgia so the neck pain could be a flare up of it. It's a vicious circle. I'm also attending CBT and Tai Chi weekly but I don't think I am getting anywhere with it either.
It's one thing dealing with, Depression, Diabetes and Fibromyalgia, but mix them all up and it is far from pleasant. However, I console myself by telling myself there are a lot of people a lot worse.

I totally agree, my counsellor told me to try Pilates or Yoga for dealing with stress which is easier said than done especially when your feeling exhausted, sweaty, sick, etc besides struggling to concentrate the last thing you want to do is any kind of exercise no matter how beneficial.

Ive just made an appointment at my doctors for tomorrow morning, maybe just chatting with my doctor about it will help as my diabetes nurse is a bit out of her depth when it comes to advising on depression & anxiety...i just hate feeling like this because my mind wanders & that just makes me worse :-( x

Connie cutie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Poor you, Amy. I know exactly how you feel, it's soul destroying. Not many people understand or indeed want to. It's really only someone who has this curse of an illness (depression) that fully understands just how **** it makes us feel. I try and treat myself on occasions, like having my nails done. That only lifts the mood for a couple of hours and then it's back to square one and even worse.

Anyway you and I will try our best on our "birthday" to put on either a false face (full make-up) or a brave face to get through it. Isn't that awful? Anyway chin up in the meantime x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do you go outside much? I disagree with ur dsn advice ref vitamins... Did she ask what you ate or how much time you spend outdoors?

I have had diagnosis of pernicious anaemia, fibromyalgia and depression all made by consultants and all now undiagnosed.... And feeling fit as a fiddle due to having vitamins.. D3, k2, omega3, garlic tablets... My mum and nan has had ect treatment for depression and altho my nan now dead d3 in a matter of weeks has dubstantially helped my mum who rarely goes outside. She now free of antidepressants and treatment which she hasnt been for 50 years.

My fibro pains have completely gone since @phoenix told me facts aboht fat and I am now having more fat...(still low carb).

Fat and vitamins are vitally important. Iur bodies do not work properly without them.

Our fruit and veg have really dropped in the vitamins they have in them compared to after the 1st world war. Hugely so. I am outdoors at least 30hours a week and do not eat any processed foods anymore and this has had a huge increase in my well being and happiness.

I never ate alot of processed foods, but added in bread/weetabix a few years ago on advice from a person to eat breakfast... (Now have berries, flax and chia seeds with cream). But processed foods were bad for my health. Now 2 years on from going completely without processed foods (except milk, cream) every pain has gone. Depression been gone totally for (just calculated) 3 years....

I am also hugely more active though, and made a point of being so. Now active PPG member at GP practice, upholstery and other hobbies and work give me very little time on my hands to get depressed...

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been there and got the t-shirt with Vitamin D deficiency. Main symptoms are tiredness/fatigue and depression. Thankfully after starting supplements (prescribed Calcichew D3 Forte) I started feeling better,

Other causes of tiredness/fatigue are:
  1. Underactive Thyroid
  2. High blood sugars
  3. Iron deficiency anaemia
  4. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  5. Depression
  6. Stress
  7. Sleep Apnea
  8. Not getting enough sleep or good quality sleep

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Amy

When I read your post I felt as though I was reading about myself. I too suffer from anxiety and depression ... usually a period of anxiety leads to a period of depression for me. I think it's the anxiety that gets to me most .... feeling anxious, so aware of every little thing going on in your body and thinking you have this illness or that thing wrong with you. You get set in that trap of anxiety which causes physical symptoms, then you worry about the symptoms - you feel lightheaded from the hyperventilating and you think you've got a brain tumour, you feel a bit clumsy or tingly so you think you've got MS, palpitations make you think you've got a heart problem. How I hate this fear of everything and nothing ... I've got a very good book by Claire Weeks on Anxiety, if you can get a copy then do as you get the distinct impression that she must have been through it to be able to write so accurately about it. I think in the book it said that FEAR stands for Forgetting Everything's All Right.

I do hope you're feeling better soon ... keep busy. The more you have to do the less you have time to think xx

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amy
I have to say I am blessed I can on most days go to the beach in my avatar. I can either walk around that beach there or cycle from my home there. Either way I need to get exercise and I frequently prefer to cycle there. Its an hour and 40 minute bike ride from my house. Now yesterday I had a friend in from out of town and frankly he's skint at the moment. (That's a feature of our times I think). We did a walk yesterday where we parked my car and put in a two mile walk before hitting the bar for happy hour. We walked two miles back. I mention this and this evening before sunset I did the bike ride there and back another 100 minute ride. Here's my point, the harder I exercise the better I feel. I got off the bike back at my home jumped into the shower & I now feel brand new! The endorphins kick in and I feel fantastic.

So if you can fit in (between all the other chores we have to do) getting some good old fashioned exercise in you'll probably feel a million dollars better. I don't know if u live in the UK or by a beach or park somewhere that elevates you I can all help! Go for a 90 minute walk or walk someone's dogs. You'll be amazed how much better we all feel for the benefit of exercise.

Good luck!

JM

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy Birthday Amy Par and Connie Cutie. Throw yourselves into enjoying the day

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Happy Birthday Amy Par and Connie Cutie hope you both have a lovely well deserved day :):):)

Connie cutie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks to you both for you very kind birthday wishes. It means a lot when someone I don't even know it thinking of me. :) x

Connie cutie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Happy Birthday Amy Par and Connie Cutie hope you both have a lovely well deserved day :):):)
thanks Bernie for your good wishes. Looks like you have a lovely little cute baby bundle to cuddle?? Pass some hugs on from me. x

AmyPar37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Amy

When I read your post I felt as though I was reading about myself. I too suffer from anxiety and depression ... usually a period of anxiety leads to a period of depression for me. I think it's the anxiety that gets to me most .... feeling anxious, so aware of every little thing going on in your body and thinking you have this illness or that thing wrong with you. You get set in that trap of anxiety which causes physical symptoms, then you worry about the symptoms - you feel lightheaded from the hyperventilating and you think you've got a brain tumour, you feel a bit clumsy or tingly so you think you've got MS, palpitations make you think you've got a heart problem. How I hate this fear of everything and nothing ... I've got a very good book by Claire Weeks on Anxiety, if you can get a copy then do as you get the distinct impression that she must have been through it to be able to write so accurately about it. I think in the book it said that FEAR stands for Forgetting Everything's All Right.

I do hope you're feeling better soon ... keep busy. The more you have to do the less you have time to think xx

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Its so debilitating at the moment & it seems to get more intense each time I have to deal with it, its always been more anxiety than depression. Trying to tell myself that everything is ok & its just the anxiety playing up but im finding it difficult at the minute. I will look for the book and will try anything just to feel normal again. Todays my birthday & the family are meant to be going for a meal but if im honest I dont want to go but i'm going to force myself to get ready and go :) xxx