V8 Vegetable Juice

GordonAsh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Having a real bad time eating my veggies like a good boy so am hoping like hell i can get away with some v8 Juice. I know from past experience this stuff has a lot of salt in it and was really chuffed when i found the Low Sodium version but that was short lived as they dont sell it in the UK which is a huge bummer.

I emailed them asking about any future plans of selling it in the UK but they told me...

The Department of Health and the Food Standards Agency now recommends a maximum salt intake stated as the Guideline Daily Amount (GDA) of 6g which is equivalent to 2.4g sodium.

As a result, we have assessed the sodium content in our V8 products and in 2004 reduced the sodium content of our V8 original to 0.24mg/100ml. This means that one 150ml glass of V8 100% Vegetable Juice is equivalent to 15% of your GDA.

Which dosent quite tally up with the information from the website, does it?

upload_2014-9-23_23-12-46.png

Any help deciphering these mystic symbols and numbers into a meaningful Yay or Nay answer would be fantastic.

Im planning on the equivalent of 2 or 3 vegetable portions a day of this stuff, salt levels permitting.

Many thanks.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not just make your own veg juice? You would know there was no added salt then.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Salt isn't all that bad for you. :nailbiting:

GordonAsh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok i think i have this sorted now. Salt is not 100% sodium, you have to account for the chlorine too. I really should think about these questions more before i put them up :)

Thanks for the reply's.

C

chris lowe

After years of telling us to cut down our salt, "they" are now saying it doesn't affect the blood pressure as much as first thought Sugar is now the evil one (as if we didn't know that already). I suppose it depends how salt is in the rest of your diet, if you eat a lot of processed food then your intake will be high, but if you make most of you own meals from scratch you can control the amount of salt you add.

I used to like my V8 with a slosh of vodka, but maybe it's not a good idea if you're planning of having it several times a day. (Slosh is a technical term for a measure of alcohol, hic!)

C

chris lowe

Also meant to say that maybe V8 haven't amended their website info since they changed the make up???