Just been called in to my Diabetes surgery all patients given another monitor?

Scorpio001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Called in by letter and told to bring my current monitor with me. We were all instructed that we had to use the Element issued blood monitor, as this would be the only monitor test strips and lancets that our surgery would prescribe? why I have just bought an Accu check Compact plus so I did not have to fuss with test strips, now we have to go back and use individual strips, otherwise I will have to buy my own Test strips and Lancets. They say it will save money, this I can understand, but really its going back to the dark ages and we will never be able to update meters again! Our surgery is in Newcastle Tyne & Wear. any one else have this problem?

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Called in by letter and told to bring my current monitor with me. We were all instructed that we had to use the Element issued blood monitor, as this would be the only monitor test strips and lancets that our surgery would prescribe? why I have just bought an Accu check Compact plus so I did not have to fuss with test strips, now we have to go back and use individual strips, otherwise I will have to buy my own Test strips and Lancets. They say it will save money, this I can understand, but really its going back to the dark ages and we will never be able to update meters again! Our surgery is in Newcastle Tyne & Wear. any one else have this problem?
Hi Scorpio. Can you tell us a bit more about yourself. What meter are you currently using? What meter do they want you to use? Are you Type 1 or Type 2.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been told that I have had my quota of strips for this year! I may have to buy some!
I think this may be the next step for next year!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's ridiculous!
How can I see any change in my bloods especially to monitor after an increase in dosage of my meds. I have already cut down but to only use two a week!!
My consultant will not be happy! It's just one thing after another with my surgery. Not only me but the wife as well. It's a disgrace! Good job I'm not ill?!!!

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's ridiculous!
How can I see any change in my bloods especially to monitor after an increase in dosage of my meds. I have already cut down but to only use two a week!!
My consultant will not be happy! It's just one thing after another with my surgery. Not only me but the wife as well. It's a disgrace! Good job I'm not ill?!!!
Did you point out that you can have hypos? It seems ridiculous.

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a letter from my surgery saying I would be getting an glucomen xl plus and would only have strips and lancets for this prescribed I was miffed but GP wanted me to test my ketones on a regular basis.
I ordered my strips and lancets and lo I got my Bayer Contour USB strips, was using my Safoni lancet device and still got the lancets for that.
So will only use the new monitor for ketones

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Scorpio001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
High I am Type 2 and have been diagnosed for 12 years now, I am currently using an Accu Check Compact Plus and they want me to use a Element machine!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
High I am Type 2 and have been diagnosed for 12 years now, I am currently using an Accu Check Compact Plus and they want me to use a Element machine!
What county do you live and what is the reason for the change?

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they give a reason I have never heard of an Element machine. Welcome to the forum. With 12 years experience you will be able to tell many of
us things we can have no clue about.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scorpio001 , there has been a change in Northumbria Healthcare for diabetes and actually you are very very lucky to be given the option of being prescribed any strips at all . It shows that your surgery is actually forward thinking :) Elsewhere in most if not all practices in Tyne & Wear and NorthumberlandType 2's are no longer prescribed test strips and meters in a cost cutting exercise, so only Type 1's will continue to get them.
If I were you, I wouldn't rattle that particular cage ;)

Signy

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Same for our Practice. They supplying scripts and machines to one meter only that they insist is cheaper.

I argued the toss with the dsn that phoned me, who didn't even know what a pump was!!! And that my pump had its own remote control with accuchek strips and would be **** well uselss to me without the accuchek strips. She also even asked me if I tested!!!!

I have raised this point with the Practice Manager and waiting for his response as to what machines they are trying to put everybody on.... As PPG Chairperson, I think I should be made aware of significant changes being made to patients trying to manage their diabetes.

Reactions: 5 people

Simply

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not far away in County Durham ,and its about six weeks since we were called In to our surgery and told they'd like us to change our meters .
I didn't think anything could beat my lovely Accucheck, but the new meter, a Nexus, is really good .
It sounds as if I'm really lucky as I'm a type two