Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliebee

It must have been the choccie mug cake and cream at 9pm. Kept me low all night. So much better than my 10's and 13 fasting last week. This lchf seems to be working

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
A quick question please. What is the significance of a liver dump if one doesn't eat straight away? I'm thinking of rises in bg when people don't eat immediately they get up. Thanks :)
I see the liver dump thing if I don;t eat on waking. It can make quite a difference if I don't eat as it keeps my BG raised all morning right up till nearly lunch time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A quick question please. What is the significance of a liver dump if one doesn't eat straight away? I'm thinking of rises in bg when people don't eat immediately they get up. Thanks :)

I would say the significance is that by the time you do eat your levels will be higher than normal, and therefore your post meal level will be even higher, which may take you above an acceptable level. Does that make sense?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a blip for me. I wish I knew why.:(

5.7 going to bed
5.7 this morning

I need to get back to the low 5's.

Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
BTW can some one explain to me what is a liver dump :blackeye:

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
7.9 this am took sleepers last night. didnt feel I slept that well but must have rested more for a low figure

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Bit of a blip for me. I wish I knew why.:(

5.7 going to bed
5.7 this morning

I need to get back to the low 5's.

You will Bluetit (as you remind me when I'm in that position!). I wonder if it's a bit of subconscious stress about your upcoming blood tests? Or something mundane like being in the upper half of the error on the meter reading?

Don't worry about it.

5.5 here, I seem to get lower when I get up really early. I'm not sure if my body has quite realised yet that I'm eating 7 hours ahead of what it's been used to! Jet lag kicking in big time today, was nodding off in the meetings earlier :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.2 for me, so mid personal range for me.

Yesterday's visit to the podiatrist was completely uneventful, and I've been discharged with "a very nice pair of feet", so all is well on that front.

Today's highlight will be looking at floor covering. The kitchen here, is due to be gutted when I can finally decide what semi-structural work I want to have done. It's not a bad size, but could be a fair bit larger, depending on whether I want to incorporate a separate large larder or not. I have changed my mind more times than my very patient finds tolerable, so he wants to shelve it for at least 12 months.

The poor man has much to tolerate. But, come on girls; driving him insane is all part of my job, isn't it? ;)

:sorry:

Reactions: 6 people

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Argh... 6.5 this morning! Totally out of character from my last 3 weeks, my liver must have heard about all the dumping going on. A much more reasonable 4.9 when I arrived home from work before the evening meal.

Had my first ever meeting with my dietitian this morning. Healthcare system only took 3 months to make that happen. After the first 5 mins I took control of the meeting, or else I would have been there all morning. First quoted my stats and numbers over the last 3 months and how I dropped my a1c from 7.4 to 6.2 in 2 months, then went in to diet details. Food I stock up on at home and eat along with how I prepare my meals. (Good oils). Linked that back to my BS testing results before and after meals along with morning fasts.

Got the " you need complex carbs". Told her it spikes me by at least 1 point or more and I can prove it, I was told that is odd. Was also told I need to eat a lot more fruit and that the American and Canadian diabetic associations recommend that I eat x amount of servings. Yeah,....right, how is that advice working for them...? Guess that's why the news keeps reporting that we're on the verge of an epidemic. I did most of the talking... :)

In the end there was no arguing my numbers and that I'm preparing all my meals from scratch from healthy choices. She asked if I wanted to schedule a follow up for 3 months from now and I politely told her that I was very comfortable in my new life style, and had very good knowledge of my condition and that for now I'd like to continue on my own, but would call her if I had questions. Total amount of my time... Just over 45 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

Really glad that I'm free of having to go back there.

Reactions: 4 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say the significance is that by the time you do eat your levels will be higher than normal, and therefore your post meal level will be even higher, which may take you above an acceptable level. Does that make sense?
I understand you. The first morning reading sets up a trend for the day? I'm happy with my morning readings at present. I don't think I experience DP to any concerning degree... In fact, my bg reduced a little between waking around 5am and eating at work just after 7 am. I don't know the significance of it. It might have been an isolated case. Or has DP something to do with how healthy the liver is? I'm not very scientific ...

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.6 before dinner
Had indian meal and included white rice yesterday to see if i spike rest was lentils veggies naan salad and yogurt
5.5 after dinner
I normally go upto 5.5 so i was shocked that it stayed there to be honest
Woke up to 5.2 so overall happy

Reactions: 5 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bedtime was 5.4

Morning 5.7

Had dessert with meal so nothing after 6.30pm

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
4.3 on waking rather than my usual 30/40 mins later, happy with that

shuhad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There are two reasons why your blood sugars levels may be high in the morning – the dawn phenomenon and the Somogyi effect.

Dawn phenomenon.
The dawn phenomenon is the end result of a combination of natural body changes that occur during the sleep cycle and can be explained as follows. Your body has little need for insulin between about midnight and about 3:00 a.m. (a time when your body is sleeping most soundly). Any insulin taken in the evening causes blood sugar levels to drop sharply during this time. Then, between 3:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m., your body starts churning out stored glucose (sugar) to prepare for the upcoming day as well as releases hormones that reduce the body’s sensitivity to insulin. All of these events happen as your bedtime insulin dose is also wearing off. These events, taken together, cause your body’s blood sugar levels to rise in the morning (at "dawn").

Somogyi effect.
A second cause of high blood sugar levels in the morning might be due to the Somogyi effect (named after the doctor who first wrote about it). This condition is also called "rebound hyperglycemia." Although the cascade of events and end result – high blood sugar levels in the morning – is the same as in the dawn phenomenon, the cause is more "man-made" (a result of poor diabetes management) in the Somogyi effect. There are two potential causes. In one scenario, your blood sugar may drop too low in the middle of the night and then your body releases hormones to raise the sugar levels. This could happen if you took too much insulin earlier or if you did not have enough of a bedtime snack. The other scenario is when your dose of long-acting insulin at bedtime is not enough and you wake up with a high morning blood sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.