Brisk Walking for PN whilst in Ketosis

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

Newbie looking for advice.

I am 44, male, weigh 300lbs and Type 2 diabetic with pronounced peripheral neuropathy in my feet.

Over the last couple of years have tried dieting/exercise off and on.

I did get to the stage where I was walking 5km on the treadmill every morning and my feet never felt better!! BUT in order to do that my fasting blood sugar had to be around 7 (126) or I would get hypoglycemic during exercise.

I am planning to start walking again, NOT for weight loss but to improve my circulation and the neuropathy. Now however, I am in ketosis and my fasting blood sugar is at 6 and I am able to maintain tight glycemic control throughout the day, which is great!!

Question is, what happens when I start walking 30-90 minutes every morning??

Has anyone with a similar background been through this?

Feedback greatly appreciated!! Have a good day.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There are many low carbers that exercise regularly. I am sure one will be along soon. When I was on my low cal/carb section of my life style change I used to exercise but found I was pretty spent by 30 mins but that could have been because I was very low calorie at the time.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are many low carbers that exercise regularly. I am sure one will be along soon. When I was on my low cal/carb section of my life style change I used to exercise but found I was pretty spent by 30 mins but that could have been because I was very low calorie at the time.

@Andrew Colvin an interesting comment, when you last posted about strenuous exercise on the 800 calorie Newcastle Diet you said

'If you are going to do it just do it... I didnt find I was short of energy'

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-cured.64431/page-2

I suspect the op won't have an issue, as they aren't calorie deficient though.
@ElyDave hopefully will reply.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Andrew Colvin an interesting comment, when you last posted about strenuous exercise on the 800 calorie Newcastle Diet you said

'If you are going to do it just do it... I didnt find I was short of energy'

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-cured.64431/page-2

I suspect the op won't have an issue, as they aren't calorie deficient though.
@ElyDave hopefully will reply.
Well Douglas - 30 minutes was a lifetime for me back then as I hadn't done any exercise for more years than I can count. So spent is all relative.

I think you need a type 2 low carber and not a T1. Someone like boforage but not seen him around recently

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the feedback. apart from caloric consumption as one determining factor, does anyone think that with a FBG of around 6, i could get hypoglycemic fairly quickly? or would the theory that i am primarily burning fat reduce the chances of that happening?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I doubt you will go Hypo as a T2. Your liver will still provide you with glucose even if it has to digest some of your muscles. As long as you are eating enough protein you should be ok. There is only one way to find out and that is try it of course.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the advice. Really appreciate it.

My carb intake is less than 10g per day and solely from lettuce/tomatoes. I check my blood once a week and my ketone levels range from 1-2.5

Caloric intake ranges from 1000-1500 per day which I will increase slightly when I start walking!!

Based on all your feedback, hope to take the plunge soon.

Thanks again.