Breakfast and lunch

ida92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are you guys eating for breakfast and lunch? I'm trying to lose weight but struggle a bit with breakfast and lunch. Slices of bread makes my sugars crazy and when I'm at uni during lunch time they don't offer "diabetes friendly" food. So, what do you eat? :D

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Ida
I have Greek style yoghurt with 60g berries, note berries and not other fruit, sprinkle of cinnamon. Lasts till my mid morning snack. lunch is two ryvita Crispbread with cheese slice and half a slice of good ham on each.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm a bit of a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast, it's nearly always porridge with added seeds (linseeds, pumpkin & sunflower) and a good spoonful of natural yogurt, to this I throw in a small handful of blueberries. It doesn't spike my bg (although I do inject 15 mins before) and it keeps me full to lunch and beyond.

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Breakfast: 3 egg omelette :nailbiting:, 2 breakfast sausages, coffee with milk.
Lunch: tossed salad and steak.

Unlike when I used to eat more carbs I don't get very hungry between meals.

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a full fat Greek yogurt with about 60g of strawberries thrown in. This lasts me all morning.
Lunches - Is this a canteen you are talking about? Are there salads on offer? Tuna/chicken/cheese/ham etc. Fry ups (without beans or bread)?

Reactions: 7 people
K

Kat100

Alpen no,added sugar ..With almond milk and blueberries

Lunch ...love homemade soup ...will have a small bread roll or slice of seeded bread ...and some fruit ...the bread is my choice ...
Could you make some nice salads for lunch ....or check out recepies ...

Do,you cook much , or is that hard to do while at uni ....
Omelette is nice with a salad or veg ....

Reactions: 5 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
I Have Kelloggs all bran for my breakfast with the exception of a Saturday breakfast and for that one i have egg on toast or a small breakfast which is 1 egg 1 sausage,1 bacon,some mushrooms,beans and slice of toast which are cooked in oil at the market cafe.And swilled down with a coffee.

Mostly for lunch i have cooked meat on brown bread.Swilled down with a very low sugar weak cordial.

BS readings hold steady at around 6 to 7 after that lot.

ida92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, I love this forum! The canteen at uni doesn't sell salads unfortunately. But I have now started with Greek yogurt for breakfast with berries etc and ryvita with different low carb toppings for lunch. And the tip about bolus 15 mins before was really helpful, it makes such a big difference! Thank you guys :)

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do they do bacon and fried egg at Uni? Or a salad? Or soup?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wow, I love this forum! The canteen at uni doesn't sell salads unfortunately. But I have now started with Greek yogurt for breakfast with berries etc and ryvita with different low carb toppings for lunch. And the tip about bolus 15 mins before was really helpful, it makes such a big difference! Thank you guys :)

Brilliant choice..lidl this week have huge bags (i bought 8!!) of frozen summerfruit berries for £2.29(??) 750g bags I think.... 6.6 carbs per 100g and good big asst of berries in them.
We take them out to defrost in ramekins the night before and eat anywhere between 5 and noon for our breakfast. Partner has greek yogurt on his and takes to work in a small round like tupperware bowl.

Brilliant and although we also add chia seeds and flaxseed thats our choice.. But the grainy seds sometimes get stuck in teeth!!!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I blitz my breakfast in a nutriblender. Kale, spinach, cucumber, avocado, celery, ginger, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, walnuts, chia seeds, and MCT oil. Got it down to a few minutes prep, and of course it takes 20 seconds to blitz. Oh and coffee and cream.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Just be careful with injecting ahead before your food, although I do this for most meals there are exceptions, for example if the meal is particularly low-carb or has a high-fat content, injecting ahead can lead to postprandial hypo's, just judge it on your own experiences.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just reading through this thread gave me some great ideas for breakfast. Noblehead, Can I ask what brand of Greek yogurt you use? I've been curious about this stuff and never tried it before so I'd like to incorporate it into my diet soon.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We use total fage greek yogurt.

Some say greek taste yogurt or similar.. Which isn't actually made from the same cultures as real greek yogurt.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just reading through this thread gave me some great ideas for breakfast. Noblehead, Can I ask what brand of Greek yogurt you use? I've been curious about this stuff and never tried it before so I'd like to incorporate it into my diet soon.

No problem, at the moment I'm using a brand called Milbona which I get from Lidl, it comes in a 1kg tub and costs around £1.60 which is very reasonable.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No problem, at the moment I'm using a brand called Milbona which I get from Lidl, it comes in a 1kg tub and costs around £1.60 which is very reasonable.

That is very reasonable :) considering the Fage stuff DD mentioned...€3.49 for 500g!
Thanks Noblehead, I'll get myself some of that next time I'm there :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is very reasonable :) considering the Fage stuff DD mentioned...€3.49 for 500g!
Thanks Noblehead, I'll get myself some of that next time I'm there :)

I'm sure when I got a tub last week the yogurt was on offer at £1.39 (or thereabouts), might not be the case now mind as the offers do change.

alliebee

I whizz up 3 eggs while the kettle boils and cook in microwave for my scrambled eggs and chuck in 3 cherry toms.. easy peasy. Maybe 4 days a week..and other days greek total yoghurt chia seeds and berries

North_West

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to make porridge for my children for breakfast and usually eat it as well. For lunch I prefer some veggie curry or soup & salad. Since I've bought Redmond multicooker I start to make great vary of healthy food. My device came along with cookbook, it helps to make my meals different day to day.

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brekfast ideas;

porridge made with water (not milk) - i normally use 2 sachets, make sure that its the original pack (not the syrup etc.) because they include extra sugar, and topping it off with fruits like sliced bananas, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries. That normally lasts me up to 1pm from around 7am, of you get hungry in-between that time, snack on fruits again, a banana or an apple.

I also sometimes have scrambled egg on toast, normally up to 3 eggs on 2 slices of bread (brown bread). I tend to go hungry after around 2 hours though, and I wouldn't have it everyday because apparently eggs aren't that good for you...

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)