Possible prediabetes but no mention of it by GP, very confused

poohbear59

I have been feeling very tired and thirsty recently so saw a locum GP who ordered blood tests. I had no call about results so I phoned and asked for a print out. The receptionist had to get permission from GP to print them for me.

The interesting and somewhat concerning result is that my HbAlc result is 42 mmol with a note under saying increased risk of diabetes, test annually.

In the past I have had investigations for passing out and it was decided that my blood sugar was very low and it always happened after a high carb meal. I was told it is called 'dumping'. I was recommended to eat 6 small meals a da yand it was left at that. I know that if I forget to eat I can become very irrational with shaking and dizziness and headaches.

I wondered if it would be sensible to go back to my GP and ask more about my HbAlc result or go ot alone and try to reduce carbs?. I have avoided all sugar for about 20 years. I don't eat sweet things other than fruit.I already avoid potatoes and eat sweet potatoes instead. I do eat wholemeal pasta and rice a few times a week. I gave up bread about 6 years ago. I do usually have a small glass of wine in the evening with my meal and often eat a banana each day. I will give up the glass of wine immediately!

Exercise is an issue as I have mobility issues but I began going to the gym and walking slowly for 5 minutes a couple of months ago. I manage around 2 sessions a week.

Any advice or explanation would be very welcome.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If I were you, I would go back to my GP. I would ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.
I would also reduce your carbs further, you seem to be intolerant to them by your description.
Do you have a meter? If you do keep a diary on what you eat and when you test.
Do keep eating the smaller meals and even have a very small snack between.
Let us know how you get on.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with nosher - definitely go back to your gp And before you give up your glass of wine, I'd suggest you first dispose of your bananas as they're full of sugar.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

poohbear59

Thank you for you replies. I like the idea of giving up banana before wine :D

I remembered this morning that I didn't say I have 35g porridge some mornings. This would increase my levels too. It isn't every day. I often have omelette or boiled eggs, no toast.

I don't have a meter but will look into getting one.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Porridge is full of carbs and not good, I was once advised to eat porridge by a dietician rather than the full of sugar and carbs breakfast cereal, it made my blood sugar levels worse!
Yes get the meter but you do need to go the docs and ask for a referral, as you are having problems stabilising your blood sugars.
Let us know how you get on.