DISCHARGED AFTER ONE MONTH OF DIAGNOSIS

Kazzi01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone.Today I went for my check up at Sandwell Hospital and am glad to say that I have been discharged by the Diabetes Consultant as my blood sugars have normalised. I was diagnosed last month(Aug) as a type1 (insulin dependant- NovoRapid and Lantus). When i was admitted in hospital my blood sugar was 33Mmol. I only used the insulin for the first 6 days after being discharged from hospital. I started on a special raw only diet and water & exercise (no warm food, no salt, just olive oil and a lot of lemon juice to make it taste) for 14 days and started to notice my blood sugars going down steadily without the use of insulin and have never used insulin ever since. I only started eating warm food after the two week period. I openly told the Consultant that i stopped using insulin and showed him my daily diary and he was really pleased with the results of the sugar levels. I am due to have another test in November at my local GP just to see any further changes.The Consultant was really pleased and he encouraged me to stick to the healthy diet as it seems to be working well.This is my story. Thank you

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was after my diagnosis 30yrs ago discharged from hospital care and put under gp care as (with taking insulin) my levels were so good. Biggest mistake ever....

You mention nothing of blood testing yourself at home and what your levels are, so I am really doubting this post..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I wouldn't call you a lunatic as you are free to provide your own story as long as you don't make it a promotion which you haven't. I suspect the reason your diet has worked is the lack of carbs not the fact that the food was raw and low-salt. You don't say what weight you were to start with but I suspect quite high and diagnosed as T2? Insulin is a good approach when you have very high BS and need to get it down fast. Many T2s with a high BMI find they can effectively put their diabetes into long-term remission which is great news; the right diet is the best way forward.

Kazzi01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was after my diagnosis 30yrs ago discharged from hospital care and put under gp care as (with taking insulin) my levels were so good. Biggest mistake ever....

You mention nothing of blood testing yourself at home and what your levels are, so I am really doubting this post..
I mentioned that when i mentioned about my daily dairy, in case you missed it.i do test everyday three times a day and the readings are between 4.9 and 7.1 always

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hello everyone.Today I went for my check up at Sandwell Hospital and am glad to say that I have been discharged by the Diabetes Consultant as my blood sugars have normalised. I was diagnosed last month(Aug) as a type1 (insulin dependant- NovoRapid and Lantus). When i was admitted in hospital my blood sugar was 33Mmol. I only used the insulin for the first 6 days after being discharged from hospital. I started on a special raw only diet and water & exercise (no warm food, no salt, just olive oil and a lot of lemon juice to make it taste) for 14 days and started to notice my blood sugars going down steadily without the use of insulin and have never used insulin ever since. I only started eating warm food after the two week period. I openly told the Consultant that i stopped using insulin and showed him my daily diary and he was really pleased with the results of the sugar levels. I am due to have another test in November at my local GP just to see any further changes.The Consultant was really pleased and he encouraged me to stick to the healthy diet as it seems to be working well.This is my story. Thank you
It could be that you're in the honeymoon period, so you might find that your BG starts to rise in time. Keep an eye out and be very careful. Welcome to the forum.

Kazzi01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I wouldn't call you a lunatic as you are free to provide your own story as long as you don't make it a promotion which you haven't. I suspect the reason your diet has worked is the lack of carbs not the fact that the food was raw and low-salt. You don't say what weight you were to start with but I suspect quite high and diagnosed as T2? Insulin is a good approach when you have very high BS and need to get it down fast. Many T2s with a high BMI find they can effectively put their diabetes into long-term remission which is great news; the right diet is the best way forward.
my weight was 100 kilos and now am at 78kilos. i still eat potatoes and other high carb foods but in sizeable portions and still get normal readings.

Kazzi01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be that you're in the honeymoon period, so you might find that your BG starts to rise in time. Keep an eye out and be very careful. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you i always watch what i eat now.

Kazzi01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was diagnosed as type 1

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In type 1, it is not unknown for the need for insulin to drop to zero in the honeymoon period. This can be of variable length
http://www.joslin.org/info/will_diabetes_go_away.html
In T1 though almost all people seem to lose weight before diagnosis. They will normally test positive for antibodies (there are several) that attack the beta cells.
There is at least one form of diabetes in which the absolute requirement for insulin varies. They don't have antibodies to their beta cells so there isn't the destruction of the cells which results in absolute insulin dependence.
easy blog post on it
http://thegirlsguidetodiabetes.com/2010/12/05/ketosis-prone-type-2-diabetes-heard
Medscape article
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2154252-overview

Edit: just googled your original posts; you were apparently only diagnosed on the 20th August, that's a very short time so it you have T1 it is entirely plausible that you are in a normal honeymoon period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

My guess too.

Just make the most of it Kazzi as things well change soon, so do keep an eye on your bg levels.