Getting a pump

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thought of a pump makes me a bit anxious if I'm honest and I guess lot's of you will have felt that way. I'm not planning one although it has been mentioned with my DSN. Not in Glasgow but just next door in Lanarkshire. I think I'm just concerned about how it will impact day to day life by having something constantly attached to me that could impact movement/activities or just be a blatant advert of my condition. What about sleeping? the gym? swimming? sex? alcohol? activities with the children etc etc. Questions that are all easily answered I guess and I anticipate a time when all T1s are on a pump (or whatever the next generation equivalent is).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If the consultants can clearly see in a log book the food, carbs and counting, exercise and what you do then sometimes a suggestion of a carbcounting course is a waste of nhs money.. And better off spent on people that need it...
My hosp DSN could see from my books (but also even dog walking etc was listed, and of course, I had a driving incident) -all of this proved I did not need a course on carbs...mine was all self taught, but I was anal at writing everything down on mdi...I even started to weigh lettuce etc for my salads so I got exact carbs!!!

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw my consultant last week at stobhill and he said 4 to 5 weeks to get the pump he was the one that asked me if I wanted it as I do a lot of cycling and the pump would help
Does Stobhil have its own pump clinic, don't think that's the name but hey, as the Victoria does not think this could be why there is a longer waiting list from them

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I have been wondering about talking to my Dsn about going onto a pump for a while but the thought of having it attached all the time does freak me out a little and as mentioned above things like sporting activities or sleeping with it etc? Also why would you count carbs from lettuce? I'm no expert but low gi food even if containing carbs absorbs very slowly into the blood stream and if you inject for it can be dangerous?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No.. I weighed everything initially-and was staggered that my salad or veg was adding up to so many carbs.... I just do everything exactly.

As the pump can deliver 0.1 for bolus then I wanted to makesure my body was getting that 0.1 for a salad if it was needed.

I don't weigh anymore as obviously I can count the tomatoes I have etc...but my salads sometimes have a chopped apple and walnuts, a few sultanas etc so not the average salad...1/2 an onion and half a red pepper.. It does all add upwbenyou canbe so exact to 0.1.. It does make a difference...