No increase in Metformin

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was officially diagnosed diabetic on 11 August 2014 with a HbA1c score of 93. The Diabetic Nurse started me on Metformin and initially wanted me to have 2 x 500g tablets per day. I told her I suffered from heartburn and stomach problems and asked if I could take a slow released version. The Nurse refused me SR but agreed to start me on Metformin at 1 x 500g per day with a review in two weeks. I know this was a ploy to get my body used to the Metformin before the increase!

I ignored the advise to forget testing my blood sugar multiple times a day and took the challenge to reduce my blood sugar further before my next appointment.

On 26 August I went for my review and the Nurse's eyes popped. I was asked to show her testing my blood sugar (I think she may have thought I was not being truthful with my results). Blood sugar was still high - in my opinion but at 6.4 was low enough to stop the increase in Metformin.

Thanks to everyone here who has shown me you can be the boss of your blood sugar, I hope to join you all in your success.

Reactions: 9 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HbA1c results back - 56. Fasting blood sugar 6.2. Still have a way to go before "normal levels" but can I just big myself up here. I couldn't be happier at the moment.

Still not on LCHF diet but low GI diet seems to agree with me at the moment. :woot::woot::woot:

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

C
HbA1c results back - 56. Fasting blood sugar 6.2. Still have a way to go before "normal levels" but can I just big myself up here. I couldn't be happier at the moment.

Still not on LCHF diet but low GI diet seems to agree with me at the moment. :woot::woot::woot:
congratulations ...always like to hear good news ....well done ...

Reactions: 2 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the support. This forum and the people on it have given me such inspiration. I hope that I can repay the favour one of these days.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Wow. :wideyed: Given that the HbA1c is a measure of your average blood glucose over the last three months you may already be at or very close to normal levels!

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow. :wideyed: Given that the HbA1c is a measure of your average blood glucose over the last three months you may already be at or very close to normal levels!
I know. And seeing as my first HbA1c (93) was only taken two months ago, it may mean that my next one will give me even better results - so sorry for whittling on but I am so chuffed I want to tell the world. :p

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
No apologies necessary for being deservedly chuffed! :wacky:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I know. And seeing as my first HbA1c (93) was only taken two months ago, it may mean that my next one will give me even better results - so sorry for whittling on but I am so chuffed I want to tell the world. :p

Superb ... take a bow

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update ....

Today I collected blood test results taken on 1 December.

My HbA1c was 46. Fist pump!!! I know this is only the start of the journey and feel that the hard work is only just beginning - to maintain, or lower my HbA1c level.

I have a couple of queries though that I'm hoping people here can help me with.

Is my Plasma Fasting Glucose level the same as the Serum Fasting Glucose level? The wording of the pathology report differ to the last report. If it is the same, then my Liver presented me with an almighty dump on the morning of my blood test - results were 7.8mmol/L - thanks for that, lol.

My Serum ALT was highlighted as a problem - 48iu/L. I believe this can be seen as "fatty liver". The previous results were 49iu/L in September and 47iu/L in July. Although I am on a Low GI/GL diet I am trying to reduce the amount of Carbs I eat and therefore changed any dairy to medium to full fat as I read that lower fat was higher in carbs. Would you advise me to go back to low fat?

I also have a few problems with my FBC

MCV was 78.4 fL (Low) - Sept 78.0 fL (Low)
MCH was 24.1 pg (Low) - Sept 25.1 pg (Low)
MCHC was 307g/L (Low) - Sept 322 g/L (Average)

I think this shows that my old friend anemia has come back into my life :confused:. Could this be due to the Metformin? And should I start taking B12 vitamins or B complex vitamins to counteract this. I think I still have some ferrous sulfate in the house - would it be a good idea to take this instead/as well.

I have arranged an appointment to see the Nurse Thursday week but I'd like to start any progression to get my bloods normalised sooner.

Sorry to bombard you with all this - just seems that as soon as I get one thing better, another will creep up behind it :arghh:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd cut more carbs to get the fat out of your liver, and weight around the belly

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Weight loss will reduce the fat from your liver.

You can do that either by low GI/GL, Newcastle diet, LCHF, portion control, any way that gives you a weight loss, and takes inches off your waistline will succeed.

Lower fat isn't higher in carbs, you need to read the labels, and take it from there.

Excellent results so far though, and good luck with the future, whichever way you choose