First 6 month review.... mixed.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I was meant to see the DN but for some reason ended up seeing a Pharmacist.... who explained she was experienced in such matters.... 6 months ago diagnosed Type 2 with fasting BG 7.6 and HBa1c of 52... so changed diet and taken up a daily walk and cut the carbs.... down to 77kg from 95 and HBa1c of 36, which is the good bit...
cholesterol has gone up from 6.3 to 8.4.... so going to try another statin... which is not so great as the last two have been doing things with my liver function and foot cramp.....
so not so sure about how it went...
needed to update their records on checks with dietitian and eye test... and had to ask for check up on feet... a bit poor...
would be grateful for your thoughts as the Pharmacist didn't seem to have many....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't know if you've tried this statin, but Artovastatin is said to work as effective in smaller doses as Simvastatin does at a higher dose, also it's supposed to have fewer side-effects.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A pharmacist? Unless they were an exception they may well be experts in pharmaceuticals but may not be well-trained in diabetes. Fortunately as you are under good control it won't have mattered but doesn't sound like good practice

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't allow anyone to prescribe you a statin (or anything) based on a total cholesterol reading alone. It is meaningless. Did the pharmacist or GP do a full lipid profile?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was about to say similar to @Spiker.

I had my lipid results yesterday and my total cholesterol has gone up, but purely because my HDL (good chol) has gone up. Everything else has improved and my ratios are perfect. You need to know the full breakdown.

Brilliant news though on the HbA1c. Very well done, you must be very chuffed.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know if you've tried this statin, but Artovastatin is said to work as effective in smaller doses as Simvastatin does at a higher dose, also it's supposed to have fewer side-effects.

Hi Noblehead, thanks for the note. I've been on these two and they both seemed to have issues with my liver function. Can't remember the third one that was recommended yesterday. It was described as stronger and so would start off at a lower dose.... going to phone to ask for a profile of my cholesterols....

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Noblehead, thanks for the note. I've been on these two and they both seemed to have issues with my liver function. Can't remember the third one that was recommended yesterday. It was described as stronger and so would start off at a lower dose.... going to phone to ask for a profile of my cholesterols....
hi hankjam

Well done on the weight loss and a1c score. As for cholesterol and statins, if you do need to go on one, personally I have had good results with rosuvastatin (Crestor) without any side effects.

Regards

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App