Atkins Bars

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
Would anyone recommend these as an LCHF snack?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that my experience is that Atkins bars and shakes are very poor. Emergencies only, in my house!

Expensive, stuffed with artificial stuff, and the flavours have been consistently disappointing...

Can you eat nuts?
If so, they make a great snack. and cheese. and olives. and 70% choc solid dark choc, though that is an aquired taste, often. Peanut butter, by the spoon, with a square of dark choc stuck in it like a flake... mmmm

if you need to have something with a long date and a plastic wrapper, then I would go for a mini bag of pork scratchings (I actually prefer these to crisps!) or a 9bar - there are about 6 flavours of 9bar, and I expect we all tolerate the different ingredients differently (some have fruit and carob in them), but I only have a 0.7 mmol/thingy rise with the peanut ones...

ive also been making some low carb biscuits lately - recipe here, which are incredibly easy. :)

Reactions: 5 people

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
Ok thanks for that. I've heard conflicting opinions about them but mostly negative so I think I will give them a miss. I'm fine with nuts but can they be of the salted variety? I also have the dark chocolate you mentioned. Yes it is definitely an acquired taste. I like the idea of the peanut butter though. What would the daily allowance be?
Thanks for the recipe too

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thanks for that. I've heard conflicting opinions about them but mostly negative so I think I will give them a miss. I'm fine with nuts but can they be of the salted variety? I also have the dark chocolate you mentioned. Yes it is definitely an acquired taste. I like the idea of the peanut butter though. What would the daily allowance be?
Thanks for the recipe too

With low carbing, you don't have to worry about salt as much as on a normal diet, but I figure too much of anything (except double cream :wacky:;)) is a bad thing.

And a lot of those packs of nuts have been deep fried too! so it is worth looking on the ingredients for anything that looks like vegetable oil.

In Diane Cress' book aimed at resetting the way your pancreas reacts to carbs (called the Diabetes Miracle), she suggests using a common sense portion size:
counting out 8 cashews or almonds = not enough
a handful, once or twice a day = enough
half a tub of peanut butter = silly

which kinda makes sense! :)

I have a rounded dessert spoon as a snack, but I don't count cals, or have a weight loss goal in mind. If it happens, I'm happy, if it doesn't, there are plenty of other things to be happy about...

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had the Atkins bars and shakes before. I like the taste of them, but they're a bit pricey and like Brunneria said, they've got a load of artificial additives in them.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't somebody do a recipe for a coconut and chocolate snack ages ago? At the time, the considered opinion was it was pretty close to a Bounty bar. As I don't do sweets and snacks, I read and promptly forgot. Not altogether helpful, I realise.

:oops:

:sorry:

H

Hooked

I love the coconut/choc bars they do. Gives me a chocolate fix without reaching for high carb real choc, which I just can't limit myself on once I get started.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
IF there's nothing else available in an emergency and you don't want to break your low carb regime then yes,it's better than a mars bar or pot noodle...Otherwise avoid as it's expensive junk IMO

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IF there's nothing else available in an emergency and you don't want to break your low carb regime then yes,it's better than a mars bar or pot noodle...Otherwise avoid as it's expensive junk IMO
If there's nothing else available in an emergency, go hungry, you won't die.

If you're having a hypo eat carbs, not that ****

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
If you're having a hypo eat carbs, not that ****

The OP asked about LCHF snacks though-not hypo remedial food to be fair but I agree that those 'Atkins Bars' are junk and are not typical content of a low carb diet.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't somebody do a recipe for a coconut and chocolate snack ages ago? At the time, the considered opinion was it was pretty close to a Bounty bar. As I don't do sweets and snacks, I read and promptly forgot. Not altogether helpful, I realise.

:oops:

:sorry:
I do a cocoa powder, coconut oil and desiccated coconut balls with vanilla concentrate and peppermint essence, make into balls and roll in extra coconut and refrigerate
I quite like that and it's a good fat bomb

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do a cocoa powder, coconut oil and desiccated coconut balls with vanilla concentrate and peppermint essence, make into balls and roll in extra coconut and refrigerate
I quite like that and it's a good fat bomb
recipe!

please:)