Lower carb on a budget

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Aaaah, but qty wise for cooking with ground almonds, coconut flour etc you have FAR less qty than you would need of flour....so this too actually cuts the carbs and almonds are a healthy nut...

I just been discussing diets with surgeon by email. He says berries in morning for breakfast are loaded with starch....I responded that 3 teaspoons in a ramekin with (now) a tablespoon of flaxseed and chia with yogurt or cream does not give spikes and is so filling because of the seeds expansion.....even sent him photos of qtys by stages of adding each item to the ramekin!!

As a thankyou for some advice he has given to a user on this forum I have sent him "the big fat surprise book" as a thankyou present. (I work for him, not a patient)... He knows nhs dietary advice is wrong. Thats why he won't listen to their advice but I don't think he realises how low fat products were introduced etc...

He also counts all fruit as starch...

Incidentally this surgeon is an orthapaedic surgeon of longstanding..he said by email to me that he cannot ever remember having operated on a diabetic with an hba1c of under 9.0!!!! Now that, I found gob smacking!! I know he telling me facts from his experience... Never operating on a diabetic with an hba1c of less than 9.0 just goes to prove to me how bad things are for diabetes.... Whether it the patients ir nhs advice... Something is going badly wrong....

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
.... Whether it the patients or nhs advice......

That's the key issue. Most other T2's I know don't follow any diet, so I would say it's the patients in those limited cases. So if they don't even follow the NHS advice as it is now, what chance have the NHS got of them suddenly swapping to an extreme diet?
You've said you believe your friends to be carbs addicts, on 400g of carbs a day, so if carb addiction is really the problem, the NHS aren't going to convince many to go cold turkey, the are far better off subtlety changing, and reducing the amount of carbs people eat, even the 'healthy plate' doesn't have 400g of carbs on it!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
3 meals for 9.99 (saves £25 including shipping) for two people - might be able to stretch it but I dont know. Delivered to your door - def some low carb options such as pork and chicken curry (sub rice for cauli)

www.gousto.co.uk/th2912

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not bad for 3 days main meals for 2 people, but it's £25 for the 4 person option though, and it's only a one off with the discount code.
The meals seen to be between 400 to 600 calories, so I think they may be a fairly small portion size, not bad for a calorie controlled diet though.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well its a one off offer on locally sourced ingredients including what would normally be really expensive. Might be worth a try for some such as the students at my work. the end of the day its a proper meal and might need a few veggies thrown in but its still cheap (as far as im concerned!)

K

Kat100

Not just diet , but all a persons other health problems as well.....
A lot of people have other diet needs for other health issues ....
It is really hard for a lot of people to get perfection .....not easy at all...
We worry when things go wrong ...eg I do if I have not lost weight or a blood test is not what I expect ...
But then I remember it is not just my diet I have to consider , it's medication for other health problems as well...
I don't think I am the only one ....
I will always support anyone who try's to change or improve their diet ...in what ever way they decide...
We may not always get what we want ...some may ...but it can be hard to juggle every factor for some of us .....

Reactions: 7 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not just diet , but all a persons other health problems as well.....
A lot of people have other diet needs for other health issues ....
It is really hard for a lot of people to get perfection .....not easy at all...
We worry when things go wrong ...eg I do if I have not lost weight or a blood test is not what I expect ...
But then I remember it is not just my diet I have to consider , it's medication for other health problems as well...
I don't think I am the only one ....
I will always support anyone who try's to change or improve their diet ...in what ever way they decide...
We may not always get what we want ...some may ...but it can be hard to juggle every factor for some of us .....

I also balance my diet against my lifestyle.
To me, everything's a trade off.
My diet isn't solely for my health issues, I like to keep my weight in the right area, I like to keep my BS in the normal range.
Cost is factored in, ease is factored in, but lifestyle plays a large part.
So long as it's all reasonable, I don't feel the need to chase one aspect to the extreme.

Reactions: 2 people