Statins research

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry Jack!

But actually I am moving toward your way of thinking on this.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So the statins made more people diabetic, but with less of the diabetics getting complications. If I was non-diabetic I would not be reaching for the statins!

That only proves that if patients are prescribed statiins, more of the patients become diabetic.
Not that statins cause it.

Statins are prescribed for high cholesterol.
A lot of high cholesterol is shown by patients showing symptoms of pre diabetes, or overweight, or even a heavy carb diet, it's not unlikely that diabetes will follow in more case than those that haven't been to the doctors with high cholesterol.

Reactions: 4 people

mcdonagh47

That only proves that if patients are prescribed statiins, more of the patients become diabetic.

Statins are prescribed for high cholesterol.
A lot of high cholesterol is shown by patients showing symptoms of pre diabetes, or overweight, or even a heavy carb diet, it's not unlikely that diabetes will follow in more case than those that haven't been to the doctors with high cholesterol.

Correct. Its the Metabolic Syndrome - the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ride together - Type 2 Diabetes, Hypercholesterolemia, Obesity and Hypertension. Any appearance of one of them and the patient should be monitored for the rest.

Raised Cholesterol is a warning signalabout an increased risk of Type 2 diabetes not the cause of it.

Reactions: 8 people
G

graj0

Some research might suggest something different. In 1 study reported by the American Heart Association, diabetes mellitus was diagnosed in 27% more patients receiving a statin (rosuvastatin) compared with patients receiving placebo. In patients without diabetes mellitus, fasting sugars are increased by 3 mg/dL for patients using statins compared with those not using statins, and it took data from >345 000 patients to detect this difference in a clinical setting.

Interestingly, this research indicated that those with diabetes did not experience the same sort of increase in blood glucose.

Like most things, especially with statins, a lot more research has to be done and who has the financial incentive to do it?

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
We can all compare notes in thirty years
Hopefully.

30 years Douglas ? ill be 84 if im still around then lol.
Ive been on Simvastatin since January 2014 so that article was reassuring to read

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Some research might suggest something different. In 1 study reported by the American Heart Association, diabetes mellitus was diagnosed in 27% more patients receiving a statin (rosuvastatin) compared with patients receiving placebo. In patients without diabetes mellitus, fasting sugars are increased by 3 mg/dL for patients using statins compared with those not using statins, and it took data from >345 000 patients to detect this difference in a clinical setting.

Interestingly, this research indicated that those with diabetes did not experience the same sort of increase in blood glucose.

Like most things, especially with statins, a lot more research has to be done and who has the financial incentive to do it?

Sill the same problem though, for the group without diabetes, if you start to use stations, they are prescribed for high cholesterol, often caused by the same style of eating the brings on the onset of diabetes.
As to the other group, it depends whether the group needed statins for high cholesterol, or were they 'normal' and just took them anyway.

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sill the same problem though, for the group without diabetes, if you start to use stations, they are prescribed for high cholesterol, often caused by the same style of eating the brings on the onset of diabetes.
As to the other group, it depends whether the group needed statins for high cholesterol, or were they 'normal' and just took them anyway.
Good call. The common factor for example might be "metabolic syndrome" and there so there would be no causation between statins and diabetes at all. The more direct correlation then would be high cholesterol clustering with diabetes. In that case statin use would be more like a "marker" than a cause.

Basically, from this data, we don't know either way.

G

graj0

. . . . . often caused by the same style of eating the brings on the onset of diabetes.
That's an interesting point, even after being diagnosed with diabetes I was being told that I should eat more carbs, I didn't, but nevertheless, I was most likely already consuming more than I needed. It was cutting carbs that took my TC down to 3.4 and finally convincing me to ditch the wretched statins (wretched for me, some don't get muscle pains, sleepless nights and brain fog, AKA the lucky ones. LOL Depends on how much our TC should really be).

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Study uncovers why statins increase diabetes risk and offers solution:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/278164.php

"After investigating further, the research team found that statins "activated a very specific immune response, which stopped insulin from doing its job properly," says Prof. Schertzer.

After "connecting the dots," he and his team discovered that taking another drug - called glyburide - alongside statins suppressed this immune response.
"
:watching:

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Study uncovers why statins increase diabetes risk and offers solution:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/278164.php

"After investigating further, the research team found that statins "activated a very specific immune response, which stopped insulin from doing its job properly," says Prof. Schertzer.

After "connecting the dots," he and his team discovered that taking another drug - called glyburide - alongside statins suppressed this immune response.
"
:watching:
Then, will they give yet another drug to combat the side effects of statins?
will they give to everyone incase they may stop insulin working properly in some people?
No drugs are risk free so what would be the side effects of another drug?

This could be another money making aspect for another drug company.