Lchf help. Gaining weight!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @jack412 I have been watching my protein and keep it lower than RDA. I definitely don't need as much as is recommended. Hence when I tried the diet whey I only had half the amount. Since I tried the metformin I've had kidney aches/pains almost permanently.
The cramps are more like stabbing type pains in my upper abdomen/stomach/pancreas area. Which is what I went to the Docs with initially, pre diagnosis, about 8 months ago.
I made an appointment to see Doc again about it, have to wait until mid October.;)
that's not right if you have been on met for 8 months, I had an ache for the first week and I think that was the statin. if it was me I'd ring and ask if I could stop them till I saw the DR, that would also tell the Dr at the appointment whether that fixed the pain

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was only on it for a week, made all my organs hurt, and had loads of other symptoms, acute muscle pains over my lower ribs, and raised my blood sugar levels.
When I looked up the symptoms on the leaflet/www it said lactic acidosis. So I took myself off it and told them why. But I was left with kidney aches and had my first ever UTI/kidney infection a few weeks later. When I saw Doc he agreed to my having stopped it due to what it caused.
I think I take enough fats, cheese, full fat greek yoghurt, butter, olive oil, nuts. I didn't want to raise my fats too much & cause pancreas inflammation.
Have thought about what you said though, and think I might try and up my fats a little more with some avocado ;)
hard to say, my ache was in the flank where most people think is where their kidneys are and it was when I woke up. but it's a shame there is no other drug that does the same thing as metformin, but if you can't take it . you can't take it.
lchf gets rid of liver and pancreas fat and inflammation, and with the butter and olive oil, you are probably getting enough. though I'd add or swap out a saturated fat for some coconut oil too

If you are in doubt, enter it all into MFP for a week with the aid of scales and measuring cups, or even a rough guess is better than nothing... you can split the fat percent into saturated, mono and poly fats, in the goals section/custom/fats.
generally here, I think the dairy fats are over done and not enough mono, poly and fish omega 3

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Nearly 4 weeks into lchf and now have lost 13lbs! I'm just delighted. Only a stone to go! Hopefully now will lose a bit slower. Would be very happy at a pound or two a week. :)....most important bg readings are constantly down. Finger tips a bit sore from all the testing but I have a good idea now what was sending me high and what foods spiked me...can't thank you all for all the great advice

Reactions: 6 people