Improve your HbA1c in 3 minutes

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you're OK Dilinger! I also have some sort of pain under my ribs at the moment - nothing serious I expect but really irritating. I'm blaming the exercise!

Incidentally, my BG has been much more stable since resuming exercise - SDfromMean at 1.9 compared to 2.7 a month ago.

Take care

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On July 15th I posted about my exercise routine and it seems to be working! I've just had my annual check, my BP, kidney function, BMI etc are all excellent and my HbA1c has gone down from 57 to 46. My exercise guru has also started making me do much harder exercises now and instead of 'lady press ups' on my knees, I can now do 7 proper ones. My current routine is, in the morning, 20 squats, 10 towel stretches, 10 touch toes, 50 heel raises and 7 press ups. In the evening, 20 squats, 7 press ups [trying for more] 20 double leg teaser crunches, 40 single leg teaser crunches with twist, 2 minute plank then plank + alternate leg lifts X 20, plank + extended arm and opposite leg x 10, Glute walk with theraband round feet for 50 steps, 10 Turkish get ups, 50 heel raises. I can in fact hold the plank for 5 minutes now if I try :). My diet is as healthy as I can make it too, no point in just exercising, you have to eat properly as well of course.
I'm really, really pleased with my results as, apart from the lower BS reading, I've lost 2 inches from my waist!! I've always been very slim elsewhere and am now 36" 30" 36". My Dr. said I was a model patient on account of all the improvements and that I was much fitter than many people half my age [I'm 66]. I am currently walking on air!

Reactions: 4 people

Zoe king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, that's the plan anyway.

Is anyone up for joining me in a very quick bit of High Intensity Training of a morning and seeing what the effects are on our blood sugars?

What I propose is this;

1 minute of a plank
1 minute of burpees

That's it.

It's even easier than that as the burpees are done in 3 20 second bursts with 30 seconds rest between them.

You do that every day in the morning and rest on the weekends.

I'm cheating a bit as I've already started and I think my blood sugars are improving; I've certainly noticed that my nighttime levels have markedly flattened out. I went to bed last night with a 6.4 and woke up this morning with a 6.3 for instance. I started out doing 20 burpees for a week then in the second week going to 25 and now 3 sets of 20 (which is about 30 burpees).

I use the 'Tabata Pro' app on my iPhone for timing and these are diagrams of the exercises;

Plank - hold this for 1 minute

images

Burpee -

squat-thrust.jpg

Except you should jump in the air at step 5 (I edited this as the last one included a press up and that just slows everything down; the idea is to complete the repetition as quickly as possible).

My aim is to increase the burpees to 5 sets of 20 seconds a day and the plank time to 2 minutes but for me the point is that this must be quick and easy to do; I do them in the kitchen as my children have breakfast.

I also do them after my morning shower as you don't sweat with such a quick burst of exercise but you do get out of breath.

I've just had an HbA1c done (results not back yet) and will compare to my next one in October.

Anyone up for joining me on this? You need 3 minutes 40 seconds to spare of a morning and to be able to do burpees!

Best Dillinger

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
walking is good enough for me I think if I try any other my back may go so better safe than sorry :eek:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yikes! Impressive if a little bonkers.... I'm a steady 3x 1 min with 1 min break in between... and it still gets the ticker going.

Reactions: 2 people