Lantus causing bruises?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Hi guys - just wanted to ask if anyone else takes lantus and if anyone has had any bruising? It seems to be a common issue but I wondered whether it was because of not alternating sites but it definitely still happens. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks x

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Belly like a bruised map of the world, strangely it isn't every injection, did read in a thread on here that it can hurt and cause bruising but if it working is it a reason to change.
Personally as no one is going to be looking at my bruises I will live with them

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My Levemir does and Novo to a lesser extent. I don't know the answer, I rotate all the time.

Ali

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi guys - just wanted to ask if anyone else takes lantus and if anyone has had any bruising? It seems to be a common issue but I wondered whether it was because of not alternating sites but it definitely still happens. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks x

Occasional bruise but that's about all. Try injecting the insulin slowly and make sure you use a new needle every-time, I mainly inject lantus in my bum and find it's much more comfortable than injecting in the legs or arms, although I do occasionally use my legs to give my bum a break.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with everything noblehead says. But also what size needles are you using and what brand are you using

Reactions: 2 people

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always use a new needle, I have a very good GP who has never scrimped on needles, strips and lancets, but slow or fast it will bruise every other time
Though I do bruise easily anyway

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i believe technique can do it, try consulting with your diabetes team/nurse, they can watch the way you do it and offer advice or new technique, its often the simple things that we do that we cannot see the problem with. its either that or you just bruise easily, it happens from time to time, probably about twice a month with me

alaska

Bruising occurs if you hit a blood vessel. They'll happen if you hit a blood vessel regardless of what insulin you take.

Try to inject under a good source of light as this can often help to at least avoid any veins you can see through the skin.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
When I inject I touch the needle to my skin, if it hurts then I move to another area. As soon as I touch the skin and it is pain free than that is where I inject -and I get no bruises, much to the consternation of the DN yesterday.

Kelsie

I bruise with every single injection and I have the smallest needle available. The DSN nurses have no idea why either, it's just thought because of my v amount if body fat %. that's why I'm considering a pump so that it's just one injection every few days compared to six painful ones every day!

HayleyBumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've rarely bruise and been using it for at least 6 years now - but used to struggle really badly with intense stinging. Have found injecting slowly and in my bum or legs stops this - I never inject in arms or belly with lantus now.

Hope everyone's advice has helped :)

Reactions: 3 people

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmm I don't bruise with the lantus but do with the Novorapid.