Renew driving licence abroad

JayPRocks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all new here yet diabetic type one for forty odd years. My question is that I am currently living in Portugal and my licence is up for renewal. My last diabetic check up was roughly six months ago in Spain and I have all the blood test results and eye results. All of which show I am in perfect health. Should I send this information to DVLA? To add to the situation last christmas I had a minor nervous breakdown and I am not with a UK GP at the moment. Thanks for the advice JP

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You really need to exchange your licence for a Portuguese one, preferably before it expires. To do so you will have to follow local regulations
A UK valid licence can be used in the EU but you cannot have a non UK address on a UK licence (so a bit of a catch 21 situation) They won't renew it with a non UK address.
I had to do this to get a valid licence in France. If I were you though I would also take and keep a photocopy of your licence. Here in France they take away the original . I'd rather keep evidence that I passed and held a licence in the UK for if I ever return.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live in Spain and as a resident I have to have a spanish license. My son passed his driving test in Spain but returned to UK and after 6 months had to change his license to a UK one .

JayPRocks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily I have a UK address so that part of the situation is not a problem. The issue is can I use the medical report I have from Spain as validation to my fitness to drive?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jay!

I think you will be able to, but it will complicate things. You have to fill in the DVLA renewal form which is paper-based, not online. The form asks for the name and address of your doctor and consultant. The DVLA write to your consultant to ask about your fitness to drive. So, your Spanish consultant would have to fill in a DVLA form I guess. You don't send in any evidence as such - they contact the medics directly.

In your situation, you'd probably be best ringing the DVLA and explaining and asking them what to do.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

JayPRocks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Smudge for that reply. As a bonus I am aware my Consultant does not speak English also as double bonus my wife's work entails a lot of travelling and now based in Portugal not Spsin where my last check up was.

RuthMKT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi JayPRocks,

I'm in similar situation, but based in Dubai,UAE. I regularly see a Consultant here locally and also have good control. Can I ask what did the DVLA advise you regarding the GP address and Consultants details on the forms? I have a UK address so can use that but more worried about declaring indirectly that I don't permanently live in UK, and therefore won't be allowed UK license. I have a UAE license and I am not required by their processes to give up my UK one in exchange.

Any advise you can offer would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Ruth