First visit with DN

P

Pip16

Hi all. I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago with type 2. I've completely overhauled my diet and from weigh in today I've lost 1/2 stone. Which I'm really pleased about and so was the nurse. Think I probably need to lose another stone. What's worried me now is the cholesterol reading. I had this test at the same time I had my hba1c (reading 51) and it has come back as 6.5. The dr didn't seem worried about my cholesterol just the sugar. The nurse today offered me statins but I refused as I would rather see if changing my diet and losing more weight would bring this down to normal levels. I was always skinny and 7 stone or under even after having 3 children but after my 4th child15 years ago at age 35 I've not been able to lose the belly. The extra weight is all from waist up.
The DN agreed to give it a shot until I have my next lot of bloods in December. However she did state that my cholesterol reading put me at the same risk as someone who has had a previous heart attack. I've left the surgery feeling as though I've just received a death sentence. I've been so good and not eaten cakes or biscuits or chocolate, pastas, juice, fizzy drinks unless it's coke zero etc since diagnosis and am reading labels on everything I buy checking fats, sugars etc. I don't drink alcohol and thought I was getting plenty of exercise. I very very rarely ate fried food. I've bought a monitor and my blood readings are from 6.0 first thing in morning to around 8.4 or less 2 hours after my evening meal. I am trying to get these lower still through learning what foods are affecting me and the portions etc. My question is do I just carry on as I am in the hope of my next cholesterol reading being lower or is there more I can do and if so what? I'm so pleased I was told about this forum it's been such a big help at answering my questions.

Reactions: 2 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
You say that your doctor didn't seem worried about the cholesterol, just the sugar. I would be inclined to agree with him/her.

I suggest you read up a bit about cholesterol and can recommend,
Dr Malcolm Kendrick's blog, http://drmalcolmkendrick.org and his book, "The Great Cholesterol Con"
and
Zoe Harcombe's blog, http://www.zoeharcombe.com
meanwhile my view would be to carry on as you are, concentrate on the sugar.
As for your risk of having a heart attack, you can play with the calculators the doctors use here
http://www.qrisk.org/index.php
and another one here
http://www.jbs3risk.com/pages/risk_calculator.htm
but would take it all with a pinch of salt, possibly even literally!
I expect you will still be with us this time next year, so don't panic.
Sally

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Pip,

Did you get the breakdown of your cholesterol readings? Total cholesterol needs to be ignored if the components and ratios are OK. If you didn't get them, ring up and ask for them and ask for the print out.

P

Pip16

Oh thanks Sally I will have a read. I went into the clinic feeling so positive as I'd lost weight and was doing all the right things without even thinking about the cholesterol as my dr didn't seem concerned (in fact he only mentioned the sugar even though he knew the cholesterol reading)and came out feeling like a ton of bricks had just been dropped on me. Lol

P

Pip16

Hi Bluetit. No I didn't get breakdown. I don't really know much about cholesterol so didn't know there were different ones. I just tried phoning surgery but long queue so gave up but I'll keep trying. Would they give me this if I asked over the phone? My husband had heart attack about 12 years ago when he was about 46. He had a stent put in and has been on statins since so he's always low. My mum who also is type 2 has been told a few times in past that her cholesterol is high but statins side effects hit her too much so she can't take. She is now waiting for appointment with the cholesterol clinic as she has a clogged artery in her calf and doesn't want the op. I always thought we ate quite healthily. Did have few cakes/puds etc but not over extreme so this has quite shocked me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't panic Pip. It may not be down to what you have eaten. It can be genetic, and you don't yet know what your breakdown is.

I can only speak from my own experience, but on diagnosis my cholesterol was high (January) and since then I have been in long debates with my GP over statins. I am not taking them, with her agreement. (purely my personal choice). Since cutting right down on carbs and increasing my dairy fats my cholesterol has improved a lot. My component parts are all normal and my ratios and triglycerides are excellent. This has been entirely down to an extra walk a day and diet. Nothing else. I don't have very high fat, but I do not eat any of the awful plastic low fat substitutes. I eat good fats - butter, cheese, full fat yogurt, mayonnaise, cook mushrooms in butter, use rapeseed oil for frying (olive oil is similar), and loads of oily fish.(salmon in my case).

P

Pip16

Bluetit that's brilliant. I'm so confused right now. I've been shopping this afternoon and bought low fat yoghurts etc. I've spent a good hour in the local supermarket reading labels on everything. I always thought that less fat meant low cholesterol. Crikey I've got loads to learn.
I live in a small village in south devon by the sea. The village is on a hill so it's steps or very steep hills to climb. It's a steep hill and 130 steps to my house and I do this everyday once or twice depending on where I'm working. Plus I'm running round as a housekeeper and just generally rushing from 7 in morning til sometimes 7, 8, or 9 in the evening most days. I just don't know where I can fit in anymore exercise like the gp and dn nurse have said I need to do. Lunch was always a quick sandwich and drink when I could fit it in between jobs. Never an hour or even half hour lunch break. Think I really need to learn what I need to be eating with both the diabetes and cholesterol. You sound like you have this licked.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pip16
Hi Pip,
Forget about cholesterol for the time being, it's the sugars you need to concentrate on and sugars come in far more places than the initially obvious.
In this post, here, http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/confused.58849/#post-551835
Michelle50 asked for a blue print for what she could eat. You can find my reply, in blue, if you scroll down. It's a very quick summary.
Hope it helps
Sally

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pip, I think you are doing enough exercise! Maybe your doctor doesn't realise how much you do. You put me to shame.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If your nurse is happy to leave things until December then just see how things go, it would be helpful next time to have a fasting cholesterol check so you can get a full lipid breakdown, here are the target choleserol figures that they want all diabetics to aim for:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.

P

Pip16

Sally thank you I will have a read. I am reading labels now takes forever shopping though. But haven't had the obvious since diagnosed.

Bluetit. That's the joys of being self employed. Have to take the work while it's there. Would much rather be walking the dog.

Noblehead. The cholesterol was a fasting. It was done at my 50 year healthcheck along with the repeat hb1c.

I'm trying not to worry about the cholesterol for now. Just gonna concentrate on getting the sugars down then hopefully along with advise from this forum it will also help with that. No point worrying I've decided until the next test.
Thank you all so much x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Noblehead. The cholesterol was a fasting. It was done at my 50 year healthcheck along with the repeat hb1c.

Next time ask for the full lipid breakdown, As said before, if your nurse is happy to leave things for now to see if your dietary changes result in a reduction in your cholesterol levels then that's what I would do, getting your diabetes control is more important for now and you can look at your cholesterol later if it's a matter of concern.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@Pip16 From what I've read, there is not much connection between how much fat you eat and your cholesterol numbers. However, I will say that my low carb high fat diet :hungry: improved my cholesterol numbers and my triglyceride level, although I only intended to improve my blood glucose numbers.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Pip, welcome.

Deal with your blood sugars and do the exercise, cholesterol will take care of itself. My apprentice locum GP tried to prescribe statins when I was diagnosed, I flat refused. I do recommend reading Kendrick's 'The Great Cholesterol Con'.

With foods, don't go the 'low fat' route, they usually have added sugar. What you should concentrate on is low carbs. Wherever possible go for foods with less than 10g carbs per 100g, 5g if you can. Have a look at www.dietdoctor.com/LCHF.

Good luck, and ask any questions, we all started where you are! You're doing very well so far.