ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m itching all over and can not stop scratching, this has been going on for a few days, havn,t changed anything
does anyone else get itching?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you changed soaps or detergents, there's some I can't use as I have sensitive skin and they make me itch all over.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i,m itching all over and can not stop scratching, this has been going on for a few days, havn,t changed anything

Ally - Looking at the links below, it appears itching can by a side effect of both Metformin and Gliclazide. Have you changed doses of either recently?

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/p...tion=diabetes&medicine=metformin&preparation=

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabet...ion=Diabetes&medicine=gliclazide&preparation=

Please don't stop or change your medication, but it looks like a chat with your nurse might be a good idea. Could you call her?

What a pain!

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Ally I had bad itching when I first started metformin. It was a complete nightmare. But after about 6 weeks it just went. I think I just got less sensitive to it. Feel for you. My dr gave me piriton an antihystamine which helped through the worse

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
my metformin was increased from 2 to 3 aday
i see how it goes, if it doesn,t get any better then i will ring and speak to the diabetic nurse

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i havn,t changed anything or eaten anything different
before metformin was increased, i remember having a bit of itching to begin with but that only lasted a couple of days

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That might be it then. I think you're right to try to get through it; especially now you are seeing some overall improvements.

Fingers crossed it eases for you.

sweetisha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have hives or lyme desease, its usually difficult to see but gives itching alot.. or you could of got an allergy from a plant or tree..

sweetisha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hust read the other posts never knew metformine would do that.. i got diarhea the first months but then that passed but if they give me extra dose it comes back.. lots of luck hope you get better soon

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My skin itches when I have too many carbs or my BS is higher than normal.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ally1 - I notice you haven't logged in since very early yesterday. I hope you're OK.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Ally, I look forward to your daily BG readings. I hope you're OK.

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
I too suffer with severe itching and the worst time for me is in the early hours of the morning , i wake up hot and sweaty and my skin feels like its crawling,my sugar levels are still raised despite following the lchf diet,and taking my meds religeously, so im hoping thats the reason for the itching, and that as my blood sugars reduce the itching will cease. I have to see the doctor on monday to discuss my recent blood tests, and see if she can tweak my meds a bit more.

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
After reading another thread in the forums on health conditions and how some people suffer from itching i read that washing with aqueous cream can alleviate it, so i tried this, as well as purchasing some calamine cream which i applied and so far it has helped .

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
andbreathe, thank you for asking how i am
i went to my mums for the weekend and am ok

Reactions: 4 people