Kindle e books

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I also downloaded a couple of books by Lesley Hale. Let you know how I rate them.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I also downloaded a couple of books by Lesley Hale. Let you know how I rate them.

I have actually just finished these two books and a short story collection by this author.
I did really enjoy and recommend them even though they were classified as young adult I hope there is more in the pipeline.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm now on book 3 of the soul savers series by Kristie Cook, can't put them down.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On my recent holiday I was reading a few paranormal/supernatural detective/crime type books. There's some good stuff and some utter rubbish out there for Kindle.

Witchy Business by Eve Paludan and Stuart Sharp - bk one in a series - This was OK for 77p. It's a good idea - witch detective set in Edinburgh - but is quite American in its writing. However, the constant sex was irritating - it was always so fantastic too! I read all the series though, so I managed to put up with it (but that's me and sex all over - LOL).

On the basis of it being OK for a cheap book I got another by Eve Paludan and Suzanne Wilson - Werewolf Interrupted - a werewolf detective series (there's a theme here!). Again, the idea behind the story (1st in a series) was fine, but the quality of the writing was dire, with dialogue so strange and stilted that I actually looked up the authors to see if English was not their first language. Not worth the £2.95 I splashed out on 3 book set for Kindle. I did read them all, but then I do tend to read what I buy. No stupid sex in these at least!

Reckoning by Kerry Wilkinson is a YA dystopian novel. Apparently it's like the Hunger Games, but I haven't read that or seen the film so can't comment. This was on special offer, so was a good deal for 99p, but it's more expensive now. I like the book, and it's the first in a series but the have not been published yet. The author is better known for his (yes, his!) detective books, so I might buy one of those.

Graveyard Shift by Angela Roquet was a good read for a book that is free on Kindle. Lana is a reaper, as in gatherer of souls, and this is a light, amusing, mystery, which would be a really good read if the author had left out all the fantastic sex the main character has.

Waking Up Dead by Margo Bond Collins - I'm halfway through this and thoroughly enjoying it. It's £1.95 on Kindle and worth it for a well-written book. No sex so far, just a good old crime to solve and a well-rounded bunch of characters.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have also finished book 4 in the series and it gets better and better the more you read the more you want to read more of the heroines adventures and relax with a cuppa!
Really love this series!

I went on to read the whole series. I really enjoyed them too.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will look on kindle for them!
Have downloaded book 1 as it's free. Will let you know how I get on, but some reviews do mention explicit sex scenes, so I guess I'm going to have to grin and bear them!

Maybe I'm just too old for these YA novels, but I do find it annoying when books are packed for of beautiful people having fabulous sex. Authors are just not being honest to YA readers about what to expect from life. Oh, just please don't tell me that everyone else out there in diabetic land is a beautiful person, having fabulous sex. I'm fat, fifty (plus), and have an OK sex life when I am not suffering with ear infections in both ears and feeling very sorry for myself, as I am today.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just finished bk 3 of Soul Savers by Kristie Cook. I enjoyed these enough to get through 3 of the books, but by the end of bk 3 I just felt the author was stretching the story out to fill books, rather than write a new story, so I'm giving the series a break. I might go back to it and buy book 4.

I really liked Fairy, Texas by Margo Bond Collins (£1.87). As far as I know it's a one off, rather than a series, but I found it witty, well-written, with a great plot and good dialogue. Worth a read if you enjoy fantasy/supernatural stuff. I do read other genres - honest! I'm researching the YA paranormal market though - that's my excuse!

Am currently really enjoying The Language of Spells by Sarah Painter. It's very well written chick lit for people who are happy reading about the supernatural. Much better written than a lot of paranormal novels.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chris lowe

I've read a couple by Mark Edwards that were very good - The Magpies and Because She Loves You. Both psychological thrillers and just when you think you know who the culprit is, he turns it totally on it's head. Going to try another one soon.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm reading thirty two and a half complications by Denise Grover Swank.
It is the fourth or fifth in the series about a young woman who trouble finds her like a magnet. Chick-lit with a small supernatural twist. Hey ho, I like it!

First one is free on amazon!

She also writes other supernatural books which was too way out for me!

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm reading The Wake by Paul KIngsnorth (99p for Kindle), but might not be for long. It was on the Man Booker shortlist and is written in pretend Anglo-Saxon English. I might move on to just reading the one star reviews on Amazon as they are amusing - "Manglo-Saxon eauld baelocks"

alliebee

I have had my kindle for over a year now and I'm struggling to find decent reads.
Has anyone got any recommendations? I cannot afford to buy the higher priced books.
If anyone is interested, the newest author I have discovered and read is Jodie Taylor, her St.
Mary's books are wonderful. I am currently reading the Rose Gardener omnibus by Denise Grover Swank.
Thanks!
Many thanks for this. I've just read these in past week while I've not been too well. Saved my sanity in the middle of the night. Great reads

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Both authors have new additions to there series this month including a short story each for Christmas!
I have reread them again to catch up, great fun and entertaining!
Reading a couple of freebies at the moment! Mayday murders by Scott Wittenberg. Not bad!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
My son has two books published if you like thrillers,The Final Days,and Savage Blood by Alex chance.you can google them,
I have been reading Val Mc Dermits books.Joanne Harris is good.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I have a Kindle but prefer a book in my hand,I buy from charity shops,and I have joined the Library,canspend a couple of hours there reading mags and having coffee,but Im retired and have the time.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My son has two books published if you like thrillers,The Final Days,and Savage Blood by Alex chance.you can google them,
I have been reading Val Mc Dermits books.Joanne Harris is good.
I will have a look at them ta!

alliebee

I can't recommend Diana Gabaldons outlander series.enough They are fantastic!!! My all time favourite.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a Kindle but prefer a book in my hand,I buy from charity shops,and I have joined the Library,canspend a couple of hours there reading mags and having coffee,but Im retired and have the time.
I find a book cumbersome and heavy now! Also books are dearer and they are published way after ebooks. And you can't get free books. When you read series like the one I have enjoyed, when you go on holiday, the kindle goes in your pocket instead of 10 books in your suitcase. I can also read my kindle on my phone app when I get 5 mins at work!

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depending on what you like I have enjoyed these Kindle cheapies recently:

Christine Stovell - Turning The Tide - very chick lit http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003Y8XQOC
Also by same author and same style - Only True in Fairy Tales http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LEF4DXU

John Bainbridge - The Shadow of William Quest: A William Quest Victorian Thriller http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JEA3E64 and aso by same author A Christmas Malice: An Inspector Abbs Novella http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NXQR8MQ

Margo Bond Collins - Fairy, Texas - fantasy http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I7BTMJ4

Jodi Taylor - The Nothing Girl - same author who did the chrinicles of St Mary's series - this is nothing like them, but I enjoyed it http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KFKQE50

Lesley Hale - Witness - historical adventure http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witness-Matthew-Reed-Tudor-Adventures-ebook/dp/B00HGULBU0

Last edited by a moderator: