Where have you visited . . . . . . . . on Google Earth.

G

graj0

Molly was saying on another thread how she used Google Earth to suss out where she was going on Holiday. Brilliant idea to get an idea of the lay of the land as it were. I recently used it to look at the hotel I stayed at in Toronto (rather than their glamour pictures) and to see how close it really was to the CN Tower. I see today that Google are inviting you to visit the pyramids which is very good if you like that sort of thing. So, just a bit of light hearted banter, where has everyone been?

Reactions: 4 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@graj0 ....are we talking actual visits or virtual visits on Google Earth....virtually I just went to Kathmandu a moment ago...was the first place I could think of when I had just typed my message to you...was trying to find somewhere obscure to test out my theory that you can go anywhere in the world :)...

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We use Google Earth a lot to see where our UK holiday cottages are and find it very useful.

We have been to lots of countries on holidays. Where do I start! The usual European destinations , Spain, Canaries, Madeira, France, Italy, Venice, Croatia, Belgium, Hungary, Czech Republic. Plus Egypt (6 times), India (twice), Jamaica (never again), Morocco (never again) and others.

Our abroad days are over now. We decided, when we retired, to explore the UK instead. We listed all the traditional counties and aimed to spend a week in each of them. I think we have managed about 26 or 27 different counties in England, Wales and Scotland, but so far not Ireland. Loads more to go, but at the moment we are re-visiting some of our favourites.

G

graj0

@graj0 ....are we talking actual visits or virtual visits on Google Earth....virtually I just went to Kathmandu a moment ago...was the first place I could think of when I had just typed my message to you...was trying to find somewhere obscure to test out my theory that you can go anywhere in the world :)...
Virtual visits are a good place to start. I made a virtual visit to Area 51, Nevada. Busy place for somewhere that's not supposed to exist. I think there's a list of weird places on Google Earth, but I can't remember where it is.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if this will work

EDIT - Nope,

let's try this.

29.072126, 2.230723, co-ordinates where I was last week

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Canvey Island .. An intresting place

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Canvey Island .. An intresting place
@Enclave That's an interesting choice......was that a virtual visit or an actual visit......I know it well but not sure I should admit to that...;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see our place overseas. This is the first time I've noticed the new image (updated in June 2014), and it now clearly shows some work we've had done. I was there in June, but I'm not in the image. ;)

Yay !

Sadly, there's quite a bit of cloud over our friends' house, so they'll be disappointed.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ molly56 .. It's been over 25 years since I have set foot on canvey Island ... But vurtial visited the other night !

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I visit some of the glorious areas in the Lake District and the Scottish highlands that I have been to.
I also go to the Greek Island of Kefalonia, which is a fabulous unspoilt island. Sadly too expensive now!

@Bluetit1802 I notice you have not included Greece in your list, how come?
Some of the islands are so beautiful and the islanders are so nice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TBH, never thought about using it for checking out holiday destinations, what a good idea :)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I visit some of the glorious areas in the Lake District and the Scottish highlands that I have been to.
I also go to the Greek Island of Kefalonia, which is a fabulous unspoilt island. Sadly too expensive now!

@Bluetit1802 I notice you have not included Greece in your list, how come?
Some of the islands are so beautiful and the islanders are so nice.

We had our own business - a dog boarding kennels, so were only able to go away in the winter until we retired. Greece was not a place we fancied in the winter!

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@graj0 ...have been thinking....it is perhaps just as well that I haven't told everyone on here exactly where I am going on holiday next week,........ or if i did they could all come with me......virtually of course...;).
....anyone free for a virtual holiday next week....:)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sutton hoo 45 and 207.PNG
Well how about trying my treasure hunt clue (made up for fun exercise on an archaeology course.)
Years ago on a Pretty lady’s lands
Was a treasure trove found, made by Anglo-Saxon hands
A Helmet and buckle, a purse and a sword
Just some of the goods of this once mighty lord.
His tomb lies inland from the sea
But there’s a connection clear as can be.
A pagan burial seems that’s the thing,
But yet, there are signs of a new Christian king.
Archaeologists dug on and they found in due course
The condemned, a young man and a grave for a horse.
Of burial mounds, t’ were at least seventeen
Mound two, now’s rebuilt; on the ground to be seen
52° 5'22.06"N 1°20'22.17"E

It was great fun as I went to 'see' other peoples offerings from all over the world.

G

graj0

@graj0 ...have been thinking....it is perhaps just as well that I haven't told everyone on here exactly where I am going on holiday next week,........ or if i did they could all come with me......virtually of course...;).
....anyone free for a virtual holiday next week....:)
Anywhere nice? Here's a true Google Map story: Our friend J is always nagging her husband E for not bothering with the front garden, been going on for years. Guess what happened on the one day that he decided to knuckle down and do something? This is E doing the front garden on the day that the Google Camera Car came round.
EricGraden_zpsc6acbc5c.jpg

This is his empirical evidence that he does do stuff in the front garden, although I'm not quite sure what.

Reactions: 6 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Anywhere nice? .
@graj0 ....Will give you a clue.......Island of Dutch origin in the Caribbean....hotel is on west facing coast so will get to see the sunset....there is a butterfly farm and bird sanctuary nearby......happy searching....:)

G

graj0

@graj0 ....Will give you a clue.......Island of Dutch origin in the Caribbean....hotel is on west facing coast so will get to see the sunset....there is a butterfly farm and bird sanctuary nearby......happy searching....:)
Sint Maarten has a butterfly farm, but I don't know about a bird sanctuary, plus whilst Sint Maarten is Dutch, St Martin (the other half) is French. It's the one with the crazy airport where the tourist beach is about 50 meters from where the planes land, I think.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sint Maarten has a butterfly farm, but I don't know about a bird sanctuary, plus whilst Sint Maarten is Dutch, St Martin (the other half) is French. It's the one with the crazy airport where the tourist beach is about 50 meters from where the planes land, I think.
@graj0 ......good try but the wrong butterfly farm.....try a bit further south, about 12 degrees north of the Equator...the butterfly farms share the same website.....
.....can see what you mean about the airport in Sint Maarten though, who would put a beach right at the end of the runway!...and a bar called Bliss...someone's having a laugh..:joyful:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ grajo, yes the ship burial at Sutton Hoo.

@ Molly, would be a good idea to learn a few words of Papiamento ? (and that's a language I'd never heard of)