Gatwick this morning and pump

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
There is still confusion out there! I walked through the metal detector and then was told, as I bleeped, that I had to go through the full body scanner. I explained that I mustn't and almost had to get my paperwork out. The gatwick staff member insisted that I'd got it wrong and it was the other way around. It was all amicable and when I completely refused to go through it he swabbed the pump. He added 'please feed back to others that they have got their advice wrong'!! I don't think I am wrong .......am I ???

Kelsie

I was told that under no circumstances should you go in a full body scanner with a pump but the normal walk through ones are fine

Reactions: 2 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was also told not to use full body scanner but normal walk through ok.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pump and CGM manufacturers say don't go through a full body scanner. But BAA say the UK type of body scanners are fine, it's only the X-ray backscatter types that are unsafe for equipment. The backscatter type are used in some US airports, but not all.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But then if the scanner does fry your pump, the manufacturer won't replace it, because you broke their rules. And your insurance might not replace it, for the same reason. And is the airport going to pay to replace it? Somehow I don't think so.

Reactions: 4 people

Jambo Wiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had my pump since end of May and have been abroad 3 times. Made the decision not to go through ANY scanners and so far so good. 2 different UK airports and 3 different airports abroad.