Most annoying things people say when you tell them your diagnosis

Marie4james

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are people so annoying/insensitive/stupid?!

I'm a week into diagnosis so in the throws of telling people about being diabetic.

Cue the stupid questions and attempts to try and be funny...(too raw to laugh!)

'Can you eat cream cakes?'

Then explain the LCHF...'So no roast potatoes'? 'What about fish and chips?

Why do people feel the need to highlight the things (I'm well aware) I'm missing out on.

Glad I got that off my chest. Anyone have annoying stories of telling family/friends?!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are people so annoying/insensitive/stupid?!

Well done for noticing.

I suppose I could argue in their favour (if I grit my teeth). They know less about diabetes than you do and like all people they don't like to look stupid so they comment. They get it round their neck but is that really surprising?

There are whole threads on here full of stupid comments from civilians. Some of them unbelievable and quite a lot of them funny.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
On diagnosis my worse comment was "have you got the bad one?" (t1), so I just turned round and said "is there a good diabetes to have?"

I've had the bad diabetes 30 years now, and people that find out nowadays are still stupid and ask the same question.

My response nowadays has changed.. "Type 2 is actually worse to manage than type 1. I'm fitter and healthier than the average Joe Bloggs" or if like many people living around me are obese or morbidly so then "actually you stand the highest chance of getting the worse diabetes at some point"-(whilst looking in their overloaded, carb laden trolleys).

I am so straight talking nowadays after 30 years that some remarks will cut to the quick with people..i don't give a hoot anymore..

Good friends understand that T1 is not a hinderance but a help to me. I think it has kept me healthier than I would have been if I'd been non diabetic.

Reactions: 8 people

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not so much annoying things said, but went to a family gathering the other week, and they put the biggest Victoria sponge I have ever seen on the table in front of me, started cutting and said 'oh you can't have any can you?'. I would have liked the chance to respond at least, and they didn't think of the torture of leaving the thing in front of me until they had all eaten it. I may have said no thanks, but then again, I might have thought,, you know what, I have been really good, if I adjust my insulin to account for it, then yes, I can have a small piece.It was not having the option while watching them all enjoy it and praise how nice it was that done my head in. If they hadn't said I couldn't have any, I could at least thought, well they didn't think, genuine error, I can live with this, after all I am the one with diabetes, I can't expect them to think like me.
I also had a mild hypo in work, working in a shop, and went to ask the manager if he could get someone to cover my section while I ran and grabbed a Lucozade and a snack. His response? 'shall I call an ambulance'. Thanks, but no, I gave you the leaflet on hypo symptoms and treatments and when to call an ambulance, I have told you what I need, I just want 10 minutes off the shop floor to eat and recover the shakes. I gave up asking, just went and grabbed something and ate it on the shopfloor even though that wasn't allowed, I knew he couldn't do much but send me out the back with it, and then go sit on the loo for a few minutes until the shakes and sweats went.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good friends understand that T1 is not a hinderance but a help to me. I think it has kept me healthier than I would have been if I'd been non diabetic.

I'm coming to the same conclusion about T2.
I've been slipping towards diabetes for my entire adult life.
Years of gradually adjusting carbs downwards and struggling to lose weight
And in all that time, I have felt the best, healthiest, most energetic and comfortable only since i finally slid into diabetes.

The secret?
Testing my blood glucose and discovering just how few carbs my body tolerates, and sticking to it.
It's amazing.
I actually feel well for the first time in 30 years.

Sorry OP, that was off topic.

Reactions: 5 people

Marie4james

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Having people police my food for me would seriously annoy me. I'm finding in the initial stages of educating people about carb control quite difficult as peoples views are ingrained into having to cut refined sugar.

Mention high fat... Now that's another debate I don't want to have with food police!

Reactions: 4 people

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes, that's another one, 'so what CAN you eat?' Again, it wouldn't be so bad if it was when they were preparing me a meal, but it's not. Eating out? 'Ooh, should you be having that?' Maybe not but going off your waistline, neither should you

Reactions: 3 people

desidiabulum

I don't really mind as long as they are sympathetic and non-judgemental (which I find is true of most people). Being ignorant isn't their fault, poor dears. Other people's ignorance is just another opportunity for us to spread some wisdom. But if they won't listen then we are allowed to kick them.;)

Pippa1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullying, discrimination
Only a couple of people know I'm diabetic (newly diagnosed) so I haven't had any stupid comments yet. However one of my sister-in-law's who is 'diet controlled diabetic' comes out with a stupid comment. She regularly says that when she knows her blood sugar level is too high she eats an apple. What makes me laugh is her doctor only checks her blood sugar level once a year. We also point out that apples have natural sugar in them as we know she will come out with the line "I know what I am talking about."

This is despite knowing my mum was insulin deoendent diabetic, plus, so were one of my great uncles and grandfather.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being diagnosed as T1 aged 29: "but u can only get that as a kid!". So many sarcastic responses for that!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
'So you can't eat spuds and cakes?'
No I say!
'I couldn't live like that'
Really! I say.
'That's like being without alcohol'
Don't have that either! I say.
'You poor ba....d!'

Et al!

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Idiot is one that has a conversation on two threads at the same time!:)

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Had the odd person say "you can't have that, your diabetic!" and I'm like of course I can have it I can have anything you can have I just have to bolus for it is all

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have told this before but I shall tell it again since it is raining out and I can't carry on with the job I was doing.

I held a barbecue at my place and I made the decision to enjoy it and suffer the consequences later. I am a T2 so I am talking food here. The chef handed me a beefburger in a bun and said, "I know you are not supposed to have this but just the one won't hurt you".

I said, "Actually I am more worried about the bun" and the other guests laughed at my witticism. There was a split second until I realised I had cracked a joke without meaning to so I played the advantage rule and let them think I was clever. In their eyes the beefburger was the villain. I wonder where they read that.

Jellyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A classic for me this week when a well meaning colleague bought me a cheese and bacon pastry thing saying 'well, it's better than a cake'. She used to buy me scones all the time and when I was diagnosed she bought me a pancake/drop scone instead thinking it was 'better'. Then she looked totally puzzled when I said the nurse had said only six grapes. 'But surely fruit is good for you?'
I've tried over and over to explain but it's getting to the point where I will just have to be blunt.