Cellnovo (Finally!)

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies from the start if I ramble but there is so much to say about this little pump (I wont bore you with it all!). I was finally allowed to bring mine home on Thursday and as a fairly seasoned pumper (8 years) I was a little scared of something so new and so different. whilst also being extremely excited about some of the promises it makes. Thankfully I am pleased to say most of the fears were unfounded or just require a little re learning of old tricks. The pump itself is so small and so light I had all but forgotten I was wearing it within hours, which prompts the first of the relearning skills, no tubing!! I have never been particularly bothered by my old pumps infusion tubing, but suddenly not having any is bizarre and almost liberating. The handset (or brain of the outfit) is super easy to use, like all pumps it requires a little bit of learning what order to do certain tasks, but the hanset is pretty good at telling you when you can't do something and giving you an idea of what you need to do first.
The online data is extensive and again easy to read, the colout scheme is the same ont he pump as the website and each section, ie blood sugar, insulin has its own colour making reading the different charts and graphs really easy.
The activity monitor is an interesting feature and as yet I dont think I have collected enough data to make a judgment on this but it looks really promising.
There are of course a couple of down sides, but I suspect these are just things I need to get used to and adapt from so many years using the same pump. Placement of the pump is super important for a goods night sleep, no tubing does mean you can't move it from where it is stuck so placing it so it doesn't end up in your rib cage is good! (I beleive longer tubing is on the horizon, but I have not checked this since getting the pump). Preparing a new pump/set is a little long winded and needs so much stuff (all provided of course), I will let you know if this continues to bug me I am not sure one change at home is a fair assesment?
Overall I am so far extremely pleased that I hung it out and waited for the pump to be available. :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news, keep us updated. I get mine, on saline first, a week tomorrow.

Kelsie

Yes please keep us updated! I am considering the cellnovo and my DSN said that he is going to speak to a rep regarding the tubing as to whether the length can be changed for sleeping etc. once I've found out, I shall let you know :)

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bizarrely sleeping is not as bad as it seems with the short tube, you do need to put a bit of thought into the placement but you do just stop noticing it

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am the same so last night i tried it on my arm and you barely notice it and it appears to have stayed put all night! I have also had right round on my side and again once you can convince your head you really can't feel it!

shell666

Apologies from the start if I ramble but there is so much to say about this little pump (I wont bore you with it all!). I was finally allowed to bring mine home on Thursday and as a fairly seasoned pumper (8 years) I was a little scared of something so new and so different. whilst also being extremely excited about some of the promises it makes. Thankfully I am pleased to say most of the fears were unfounded or just require a little re learning of old tricks. The pump itself is so small and so light I had all but forgotten I was wearing it within hours, which prompts the first of the relearning skills, no tubing!! I have never been particularly bothered by my old pumps infusion tubing, but suddenly not having any is bizarre and almost liberating. The handset (or brain of the outfit) is super easy to use, like all pumps it requires a little bit of learning what order to do certain tasks, but the hanset is pretty good at telling you when you can't do something and giving you an idea of what you need to do first.
The online data is extensive and again easy to read, the colout scheme is the same ont he pump as the website and each section, ie blood sugar, insulin has its own colour making reading the different charts and graphs really easy.
The activity monitor is an interesting feature and as yet I dont think I have collected enough data to make a judgment on this but it looks really promising.
There are of course a couple of down sides, but I suspect these are just things I need to get used to and adapt from so many years using the same pump. Placement of the pump is super important for a goods night sleep, no tubing does mean you can't move it from where it is stuck so placing it so it doesn't end up in your rib cage is good! (I beleive longer tubing is on the horizon, but I have not checked this since getting the pump). Preparing a new pump/set is a little long winded and needs so much stuff (all provided of course), I will let you know if this continues to bug me I am not sure one change at home is a fair assesment?
Overall I am so far extremely pleased that I hung it out and waited for the pump to be available. :happy:

Which pump did you have before? I am about to get a choice of new pump and would like a non tubing one if possible as I am forever catching mine, how much insulin does the cellnovo hold?

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a Medtronic Veo. Cellnovo holds 150 untis there is no negotiation on this, which I have advised them I think is a real waste as I dont go anywhere near this in 3 days! it is also, as a note, completely non negotiable about over running the change time, when your 72 hours is up its up time for a new insulin cartridge. I only mention this as I would if need be wear my Veo for 3 days and a couple of hours for ease of changing. I do love the lack of tubing, however I do also think the Cellnovo system will be vastly imporved if they do go ahead and offer longer tubing lengths. Not sure if you have seen the pump, so just incase, it is held in place on the skin using a small velcro patch, really effcetive no issues there, but there would be potential to hide the pump in loads more places where you would also be able to hide the tubing away from being caught (once it is placed you have no need to access it).
Good luck with the choosing :)

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 72 hours on the reservoir is a waste for me as well as I'm typically on 14-15 units a day. If anything the ability to load the reservoir with less than 150u would be great but I think you'll find that with the other pumps as well. I haven't run up against the 72 hour limit yet, but I can imagine that would take a bit of forward planning on occasion.

The set change was easy enough, but as you say takes quite a bit of kit.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What happens to those that are quite happy loading 315units every 6 days? I would not consider a pump where I was so severely limited to 72 hours. No way! I know of people needing at least 40units basal a day and no way would this be adequate for them with their bokus's on top! I hate running in minimum insulin in my cartridges, so this would eliminate me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Actually for me the larger the cartridge but minimising the size tbe better. I don't want to keep faffing around

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What happens to those that are quite happy loading 315units every 6 days? I would not consider a pump where I was so severely limited to 72 hours. No way! I know of people needing at least 40units basal a day and no way would this be adequate for them with their bokus's on top! I hate running in minimum insulin in my cartridges, so this would eliminate me.
Is there not an issue of the insulin next to your body at a warmer than room temperature "going off". I recall soemone giving that as a reason to change both reservoir and infusion set at the same time

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Every 2days for insulin and reservoir?? No, accuchek.. 6 days...