Could do with some advice and help

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
If RRB has the condition I think she has it has nothing to do with th hospital it's a reaction of the nervous system and can happen whenever a limb is in plaster it can happen to anyone. I could tell how the treatment went, how long it took, what the end result was but it's enough for her to cop with just now until she gets a proper diagnosis. I

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh your poor wife, she been through such a lot.

My wrist is stuck in that awful position I cannot move it at all. They said they couldn't plaster it straight in case the bones didn't fuse together properly which seemed odd at the time,( but I am not a medical person) so it was plastered at an angle !!

Many thanks Enclave

RRB.
Don't know if it helps .. but the wife went to physo at the hospital .. and the warm wax baths worked wonders getting the swelling down, she had zero movement for quite some time .. .. she thinks its not a problem now .. but she cannot use it to hold a knife when eating. Also it will still rapidly become swollen and dark, even now if she leaves it down by her side.. She also re broke the scaphoid bone .. and thinks this is why its in the shape she is left with .. Have you been given an air splint to wear while you work on getting it moving ? The air splint also helped to keep the swelling at bay, and keeping it raised .. she wears a body warmer most of the time now and can hook her hand into the opposite arm hole when walking about. She still uses the air splint if her wrist starts to twist .. it hold her wrist in place so helps ease the pain. Yes it was originally set at an angle

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I know how you feel about the pain and damage and the fact that it looks like something out of a sci fi movie :D I had both hands shattered in a 100mph motorcycle crash (drugged driver hit me without stopping)…. I have one thumb that doesn't bend and one that goes round a corner, a little finger that was never supposed to move again and is a good half inch shorter than it was, as well as a wrist that I can make fully grown men feel sick with when I show them :D Al's always telling me off for that one.
I had fixators and 'K' wires down through my fingers to hold the shattered bits of bone together.
I can only tell you what I did and hope that it helps.
First of all, the pain will get better. ;)
Second, do all of the exercises that the hospital give you to do. I did them all at the hospital and three times a day at home.
I also took a calcium, magnesium and zinc supplement, which helped with the healing.
I wore those stretchy bandage tubes all the time for a few years.
It's really important to keep any draughts off your hands, and to keep them warm at all times.
I had wrist braces for both hands/wrists too. I found the neoprene ones the most useful, albeit a bit sweaty.
Hope this helps and you get better soon x :)

Dibbles what a horrible time you went through, I wasn't in a crash but toppled over whilst stripping wall paper and hit a bedside cabinet on my way down and the position of my wrist is called a Smiths fracture. I take Calcium for Osteoporosis ( not a good condition to have with broken bones) :oops:
I cant work properly, losing money through it and tbh a little worried, but I do try to be positive but its hard and my teenage daughter worries about me, but tells me to be positive because that's what I would say to people, bless her :angelic:
Thank you for telling me about your accident, it really does help. I have a wrist support, but I cant get it over the angled wrist:eek:

Many thanks
RRB :)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks poohtiggy, Yes my hand was a darker colour than the other and looked different to other people with broken wrists. Also I had pain whilst the 2nd cast was fitted, it was painful and I had tears in my eyes so plasterer went and got the consultant to come in, she said the A & E plaster was rubbish and found a thumb print indention in the first cast. I have had pain throughout the 6 weeks and kept asking why I had pain, no real answers from anyone. My hand is now getting a mottled affect, and has always been swollen, large % of thumb is numb and nail on thumb is concaved and the nails are growing much longer very quickly. The condition, CRPS is being dealt with at the Hand Therapy clinic, I will see how it goes, but I don't hold up much hope with the hospital because of the way I feel I have been treated, everyone I met has made comments about my hand/wrist and I have never been so sick and unwell in my life.
Can I ask what MD is and the treatment you received ? How long did it all take to get back to normality ?
Thanks again RRB
Hi, just 're read your reply and noted another clue to RSD the growth of finger nails!!! Please don't just accept
Yes I will keep you all informed and will bring up your condition of RSD. Consultant referred me the Hand Therapy Clinic and is convinced its CRPS. I try to move my fingers in warm water which is more comfortable and I am stroking and touching my hand with different textures and I gently massage as well, I have never broke a bone in my life until August and now I am worried I will end up with a disability. Thank you so much, it is such a help at a difficult time. RRB
Another way you can test your hand for RSD is to try and stroke your hair or someone else's does it feel more course with the damaged hand? I really think you have been given the wrong diagnosis and if it is RSD and left untreated it will be difficult for you and yes, rapid growth of finger nails is another clue. If you live in the UK go on Arthritis UK and put in RSD for information, they as also available on the phone. I will be thinking about you good luck

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't know if it helps .. but the wife went to physo at the hospital .. and the warm wax baths worked wonders getting the swelling down, she had zero movement for quite some time .. .. she thinks its not a problem now .. but she cannot use it to hold a knife when eating. Also it will still rapidly become swollen and dark, even now if she leaves it down by her side.. She also re broke the scaphoid bone .. and thinks this is why its in the shape she is left with .. Have you been given an air splint to wear while you work on getting it moving ? The air splint also helped to keep the swelling at bay, and keeping it raised .. she wears a body warmer most of the time now and can hook her hand into the opposite arm hole when walking about. She still uses the air splint if her wrist starts to twist .. it hold her wrist in place so helps ease the pain. Yes it was originally set at an angle
It was the scaphoid that I broke and unlike other breaks it is a very difficult bone to mend and it has to be set at an angle for a reason. With the right treatment it can mostly straighten but it's a long process and needs tons of patience and hard work,it appears I was extremely lucky to have been in the care of an Orthopedic hospital who gave me so much information about this condition

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, just 're read your reply and noted another clue to RSD the growth of finger nails!!! Please don't just accept

Another way you can test your hand for RSD is to try and stroke your hair or someone else's does it feel more course with the damaged hand? I really think you have been given the wrong diagnosis and if it is RSD and left untreated it will be difficult for you and yes, rapid growth of finger nails is another clue. If you live in the UK go on Arthritis UK and put in RSD for information, they as also available on the phone. I will be thinking about you good luck

Thank you again, I cant thank people enough for all the stories and messages, it really has been so helpful. I will google RSD Arthritis UK tonight or tomorrow..

Many thanks RRB ps the hair test was difficult, but a very different sensation from the right hand, hair feels silky with right hand and left hand finger tips more rougher/coarser ? and also tried it out on my cat Pebbles, different sensation again.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It was the scaphoid that I broke and unlike other breaks it is a very difficult bone to mend and it has to be set at an angle for a reason. With the right treatment it can mostly straighten but it's a long process and needs tons of patience and hard work,it appears I was extremely lucky to have been in the care of an Orthopedic hospital who gave me so much information about this condition
I think its the second or third time she has broken the scaphoid in that wrist .. along with the bigger bones ,, she was offered to have it removed and something from her leg put in its place .. needless to say she said no thanks .. So its her choice to be like this...

edit to add ..Also she has the different feeling in the damaged hand .. but as I said still managing to ignore it .. been so long now expect she will wait until it breaks again to do anything about it

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you again, I cant thank people enough for all the stories and messages, it really has been so helpful. I will google RSD Arthritis UK tonight or tomorrow..

Many thanks RRB ps the hair test was difficult, but a very different sensation from the right hand, hair feels silky with right hand and left hand finger tips more rougher/coarser ? and also tried it out on my cat Pebbles, different sensation again.
I am convinced now that you have an RSD all the clues are there, if your doctor's don,t know about it and many don't, insist that you see an Orthopedic surgeon and get the right treatment. It's hard but with the right help you will be amazed at how good your hand can get. Poor you I really feel for you

Reactions: 3 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think its the second or third time she has broken the scaphoid in that wrist .. along with the bigger bones ,, she was offered to have it removed and something from her leg put in its place .. needless to say she said no thanks .. So its her choice to be like this...

edit to add ..Also she has the different feeling in the damaged hand .. but as I said still managing to ignore it .. been so long now expect she will wait until it breaks again to do anything about it
When I say 'other breaks' that means that the bones are not actually broken! The scaphoid is about 4 bones in a row that are similar to knuckles and the break is a separation between those 'knuckles' I had the gap filled with bone. It sounds like your wife also had an RAD left untreated

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
RRB I'm so sorry to hear that you are suffering so badly with your wrist. I thought it was all going so well for you. I hope it gets easier for you soon.

I'm having similar problems with my ankle. Keeps swelling every time I'm upright, darker colour and have lost a lot of feeling in 3 of my toes but very painful if touched of that makes sense. Am paranoid that it'll never heal properly. About to start physio to help me relearn to walk as I cannot flatten my foot yet :(

Good luck
X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
RRB I'm so sorry to hear that you are suffering so badly with your wrist. I thought it was all going so well for you. I hope it gets easier for you soon.

I'm having similar problems with my ankle. Keeps swelling every time I'm upright, darker colour and have lost a lot of feeling in 3 of my toes but very painful if touched of that makes sense. Am paranoid that it'll never heal properly. About to start physio to help me relearn to walk as I cannot flatten my foot yet :(

Good luck
X

Oh MrsB I'm so sorry to hear of your problems as well. As you had an operation on your leg you could have some possible nerve problems ?, best thing is to ask questions at physio. I feel the same as you and I am concerned I may be permanently disabled:( I go for my 2nd Hand Therapy appointment tomorrow. The pain and being so sick and unwell is not what I thought would happen with a break,devastating:inpain:.
I have had a bad day today, it started as soon as I got up, but yesterday was a really good day :).
Take care and I hope you start to feel a little better very soon. RRB

K

Kat100

Hi RRB
Just seen your post ..I have been up late reading :brb:
Sorry to,see your hand and wrist is still so poorly ...
You should not be in so much pain ...hope you get some relief soon....
Now , I can share with you that my brother had a very nasty fall about a year ago ...not sure if I should tell you ...depends how you view it , but I know you will keep an open mind ...
Anyway he suffered lots of damage just like you describe ....he now wears a metal splint on his arm and hand ...that looks like an oxygen machine ...it is trying to put it back in the right position ....he also ended up with an operation to try to correct nerve damage ....painful nerve damage ...
It does take along time ....there was a break as well.
He does get money for disability ...while not working ....with consultant support letters etc ..the hospital and GP were very informative ...you can I believe make a claim while you are out of action ....because your activities of daily living are affected ...think you have to wait 3 months though ,,but not sure about that now....
I may not be much help to you , but thought I must share , you never know , just in case you needed to know etc....
He uses sports balls to try and increase movement and circulation in his fingers ...an exercise .to help ..he is still seeing physio a year on , once a week ...
My brother has reached a stage now ...where he can be classed as permanently disabled ....because he can't use his arm hand wrist ...
It is a whole life style change and very stressful ....he has not decided yet ...
Hope my contribution has not caused you further alarm , I would not want that ....just sharing a story of a fall and the damage ...it can't be under estimated ...
Good luck this week , hope you get some answers and good pain relief ...
Take care...best wishes ...Kat X thinking of you and sending (((hugs)))

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you Kat and MrsB xx

When I read the stories from what members have posted, it makes me feel not so alone, some, like your brother have been disabled through it, and trying to look after my daughter ( she gets very upset when my pain is at it's worse), trying to keep my head above water and also being a carer for my elderly dad is taking it's toll. But I am trying to look ahead with a positive outcome for the future ??.
Thanks again, take care and I will post later about todays therapy appointment.

Thanks to all of you for your help and support X RRB

K

Kat100

Thank you Kat and MrsB xx

When I read the stories from what members have posted, it makes me feel not so alone, some, like your brother have been disabled through it, and trying to look after my daughter ( she gets very upset when my pain is at it's worse), trying to keep my head above water and also being a carer for my elderly dad is taking it's toll. But I am trying to look ahead with a positive outcome for the future ??.
Thanks again, take care and I will post later about todays therapy appointment.

Thanks to all of you for your help and support X RRB
Agree with staying positive ....and there are many treatments that can be explored yet ....will drop in later to hear what I hope is better news ......you do not have to suffer the pain, maybe more pain relief ....you may need quite a high dosage....I know this is hard because of all the nerve endings etc... I forgot to say my brother did get some money while under going treatment ....a payment each week ....after the first 3 weeks., this took into account his job , where he is self employed etc ...and he has a careers role ...hope this helps ....Kat x

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best of luck @Robinredbreast and I hope this all gets sorted out sooner rather than later.
Sometimes Xray's do not detect all minor flaws or fractures etc; (triquetral fracture).
Lets hope they go back and follow all the procedures that was carried out regarding your broken broken wrist in the view to countermeasure what has gone wrong.
What @Dibbles1 has experienced might justify a few errors from nurses etc; Hope all is OK now Dibbles as I know old wounds tend to cause problems.
But in Robinredbreast case the picture looks too painful and indicates something has been missed out prior or during the so called healing period.
Again best of luck and better health.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks guys, I am off soon to get the bus and I will ask about RSD at Hand Therapy appointment. Also in the clinic there are leaflets on Arthritis, so I will have a look at those. I will ask questions about the hand/wrist, but when the cast was removed on the 16th Sept,, with an xray, consultant said it had healed remarkably well !! BFN

RRB :).

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys, I am off soon to get the bus and I will ask about RSD at Hand Therapy appointment. Also in the clinic there are leaflets on Arthritis, so I will have a look at those. I will ask questions about the hand/wrist, but when the cast was removed on the 16th Sept,, with an xray, consultant said it had healed remarkably well !! BFN

RRB :).
I don't think the consultant was correct in his findings, considering the terrible pain your currently going through and those pictures you have shown us.
All the more reason for the Xray not revealing a problem.
I can feel the pain just looking at the picture,
best of luck and be firm.:):)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Evening guys, update on todays appointment.
I asked about RSD at my Hand therapy and..................... I have it !! apparently CRPS is actually the same, but an older term of the condition.
He asked how I was doing, but said no change really and I told him of the touching and feeling techniques on the poorly hand and he was happy with what I am doing. I have now been given the' mirror technique' to do at home. This should be done every hour with 10 repetitive actions. I did say I am trying to start one of my jobs ( hopefully tomorrow):) so every hour will be impossible and he said to do as much as I can then. The therapy is about de-sensitising the hand and wrist and re-training the brain. I am not to do anything that causes pain, as this will send wrong messages to the brain.. RSD is a more rarer condition and my 'physio' said he sees only about 10 cases a year. It is still unclear as to why this happens to some people. .
I will read up more about RSD and my next appointment is Friday the 10th. Also I am whacked out a lot of the time, but still no vomiting since Sunday which is great as my BS can still be very erratic ( last night went to bed on 7.9 and awoke on 13.3 :eek:
Your help and advice has been brilliant, so many thanks :D x

Reactions: 13 people
K

Kat100

Hi RRB
You are getting somewhere that is good and you are rare .....:rolleyes:

Hope all starts to improve from now on ...always better when you know what you are dealing with ....
Glad you have stopped the vomiting ....you are great for starting to try to work ...take it easy though ...
Sending you more hugs ((((( )))))) and my very best wishes for your health ...Kat X