Unable to get insulin

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to be stuck in some kind of Kafkaesque nightmare at the moment. I contacted my pharmacy last Monday (22nd September) to request a repeat prescription for blood test strips and Novorapid. I normally get a text saying when they have been prepared. However by Thursday afternoon I had received nothing so called them and they said that the prescription for the blood strips had been sorted but the insulin had not been received yet.
I called again on Monday this week and Tuesday and then eventually I called the doctor. The receptionist informed me that they send these type of prescriptions in batches of 6 and the doctor just approves the release of the next one and she assured me this had been done. She then said she would call the pharmacy and get someone to contact me. So far today nothing has happened again.
So bear in mind by tomorrow this will be 11 days since I requested the insulin and I have 1 side saying it has been done and 1 side saying it hasn’t where do I go from here? I am now down to about 150 units of insulin and have made 5 phone calls and no one seems to be interested in helping me out. I need to get this sorted asap so would an approach to the doctors practice manager be the best thing even if they have done what they are supposed to? I’m really getting quite stressed with this now.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Canary!

It is really infuriating when things like this happen. I often go to the chemist to pick up my prescription to find that several items are missing and the doctor and chemist blame each other.

In this situation, only the doctor can issue a prescription, so I'd go there. It doesn't really matter where the missing prescription has gone - getting your insulin is what's important. Make an appointment or just turn up at the doctors and get an old fashioned paper prescription that you can take to the chemist to be filled.

Good luck

Smidge

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I wouldn't put up with that. I order my scripts online via Patient Access website and my surgery approves them and passes them to the pharmacy always within 2 days. My Lloyds pharmacy virtually always has everything in stock but on Friday when they were out of Met it was in the pharmacy the next morning. I would complain to the practice manager. I always keep at least a month's supply of everything just in case something goes wrong.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks you've just reminded me to put my prescription in !!! :p

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Decided to call the surgery again and it seems they have resent the prescription yesterday and it is finally ready for collection so I can get it this evening after work. However no one bothered to tell me again. Still no idea what happened. I have made about 6 phone calls in relation to this, it just frustrates me. I don't inject myself multiple times a day for fun and this is pretty important and I really don't want to have all this extra work and stress to just get hold of something that keeps me alive. :mad: