Large bump after Lantus injection

Emmaayziing

Hello, I posted this in the Ask A Question thread but had no response, thought I could narrow down my target audience helpers here. I'm a type one diabetic of four years, last night after I injected my 24u of Lantus, I noticed a gross looking bump had appeared. I know that insulin pouches can occur but I thought that was more of a build up rather than an instant lump. The insulin I used was the last in a pen, not out of date, with a fresh needle, waited 5-10secs before pulling out and massaging the area with my knuckles afterwards. I did it on my outer thigh. I rotate around my outer thighs frequently, only doing my basal injections there. I've had tiny lumps appear before when I've pulled out too fast but nothing of this size. It is quite hard, tender to touch and itches slightly. Since last night it has dispersed a lot but I can still feel a lump. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1412200884.894894.jpg

This picture is an hour after the injection, the following being about 8 hours after upon waking up

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1412200909.547327.jpg

Marty10000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had these occasionally over the last few years. Mine don't last more than 15 minutes and are more itchy than painful, so I have never asked my GP about them. Good to know I am not the only one though :)

If anyone knows more about what this is I would like to know as well.

H

Hooked

I got these on rare occasions when using Lantus in the past. I'm on a pump now.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not seen anything like that, does this happen often Emmaaayziing, as it might just be that you are allergic to the insulin and you may need to change to an alternative basal.

Other than that, just try injecting the insulin dose slowly as this does help prevent injection site lumps in my own experience, also as you could try splitting the dose and inject 12 units in one leg and 12 in the other, obviously it's another injection but if it helps prevent lumps like this............

Last edited by a moderator:

Marty10000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
About 3/4 times a year, doubt it is an allergy as it is very infrequent, and seems to happen when I am in a hurry and inject too fast.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
About 3/4 times a year, doubt it is an allergy as it is very infrequent, and seems to happen when I am in a hurry and inject too fast.

Apologies Marty, I meant to ask to address my question to the OP (Emmaayziig), I'll amend my post.

Emmaayziing

Not seen anything like that, does this happen often Emmaaayziing, as it might just be that you are allergic to the insulin and you may need to change to an alternative basal.

Other than that, just try injecting the insulin dose slowly as this does help prevent injection site lumps in my own experience, also as you could try splitting the dose and inject 12 units in one leg and 12 in the other, obviously it's another injection but if it helps prevent lumps like this............

First time I've had it happen which is why I freaked out so much with it, it hasn't happened with any of my other lantus injections since then so I'm doubting it's an allergy. I don't have any pain or lumps in the area now so I'm guessing it was just a one off. I tend to inject at about 2units per second and wasn't in a rush at the time so the only other cause I can think of was maybe hitting scar tissue when I went in but I do rotate sites frequently. I may pay more attention to my site rotations now anyway incase that was the cause, and split them up as well into the twelve and twelve as you suggest!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If it's a one-off then I wouldn't worry too much about it, just inject 24 units as you normally would. Why don't you show your photo's to your DSN and ask for their take on things.

btw, has the lump disappeared now or is it still visible, also what was your bg control like the following 24 hours ?

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Lantus for 12 years, recently come off it this year. I remember those lumps, if I didn't get lumps then the injection site would sting for ages. I didn't know why and my doc was at a loss as well!

Reactions: 2 people

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have had those lumps too, and as Lucy-M says, either a lump or a sting, unless I hit a blood vessel, that seems to be the most painless for me, I don't know why, but if it doesn't sting, I know I am getting blood!