Advice Please :)

rgibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)
I'm a Type 1 currently using MDI but on Monday I am starting a 2 week trail with an Accu-chek combi pump.
Just wondering how everyone else found moving to a pump from injections, and if anyone has used this pump in particular what their thoughts are about using a pump, any tips or adcive?
I'm so excited, nervous and dreading this trial all at the same time, I have tried for so long to get this pump but I have a million questions and know when I go for my appointment I won't think of any of them.
Any advice, reviews (good or bad) will be gratefully received as I go lie under the duvet and cry until Monday haha
Thanks in advance, Rach xx

iHs

Hello :)

Pumps are quite life changing really. You will definately need to test yr bg levels frequently to ensure that the settings are correct and make changes to the settings when bg levels decide to change.

The Combo handset is the same as the Expert but has the bluetooth function on it to deliver the insulin via the pump which can be tucked away under clothing.

The infusion sets are fairly good and straightforward to use. The Flexlink is easy to use with the inserter and the steel needle Rapid D is easy to use too. The only set that raises a few eyebrows is the Tenderlink but that is straightforward to use as well.

Cartridge filling sometimes causes air bubbles to form at the top whrre the tube joins the pump but if you turn the pump so that when being used, the tube is at the bottom, any bubble will just go to the other end of the cartridge and shouldn't go down the tubing so no problem.

Hopefully, you will be able to upgrade to the Insight pump when it becomes available within the next 5 months.

Reactions: 4 people

rgibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :)

Pumps are quite life changing really. You will definately need to test yr bg levels frequently to ensure that the settings are correct and make changes to the settings when bg levels decide to change.

The Combo handset is the same as the Expert but has the bluetooth function on it to deliver the insulin via the pump which can be tucked away under clothing.

The infusion sets are fairly good and straightforward to use. The Flexlink is easy to use with the inserter and the steel needle Rapid D is easy to use too. The only set that raises a few eyebrows is the Tenderlink but that is straightforward to use as well.

Cartridge filling sometimes causes air bubbles to form at the top whrre the tube joins the pump but if you turn the pump so that when being used, the tube is at the bottom, any bubble will just go to the other end of the cartridge and shouldn't go down the tubing so no problem.

Hopefully, you will be able to upgrade to the Insight pump when it becomes available within the next 5 months.

Thank you so much :) My DSN has talked a little about what work will be involved but I am to find more out on Monday but it's great to hear what someone who is doing it already thinks, I'm sure when I get the 'real deal' I'm gonna be on here all the time asking stupid questions haha it's good to know I'm not alone :) x

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

There are a few of us who are on this pump and can advise on how to get the best out of it.
I too was bit concerned to start with, it is a bit of a jump and you do need to spend more time getting it set up for you, will take a few weeks.
Be patient and take your time then you'll wonder what all the fuss was about :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you starting with a saline drip for a week?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Are you able to take someone with you? I found this invaluable. Although training manuals are fantastic too. The friend and hubby both interpreted details to me on one issue I had, but looking at the manual I was right. I also had fantastic help from a poster here by phone each day. I went straight on to insulin, not saline and three weeks earlier I didn't even know there was such things as a pump!!

rgibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

There are a few of us who are on this pump and can advise on how to get the best out of it.
I too was bit concerned to start with, it is a bit of a jump and you do need to spend more time getting it set up for you, will take a few weeks.
Be patient and take your time then you'll wonder what all the fuss was about :)

Aw great to know theres others using this pump :) hopefully won't take too long to get used to it x

rgibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you starting with a saline drip for a week?

I think I've got 2 weeks with the saline so will still be using my injections in the meantime, I'm hoping if I can cope with doing both when I finally get the pump it will be easier lol x

rgibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you able to take someone with you? I found this invaluable. Although training manuals are fantastic too. The friend and hubby both interpreted details to me on one issue I had, but looking at the manual I was right. I also had fantastic help from a poster here by phone each day. I went straight on to insulin, not saline and three weeks earlier I didn't even know there was such things as a pump!!

Unfortunately no one can come with me :( I'm a Midwifery student living away from home and my flatmate has just started a new job so can't take time of to come with me. My DSN is amazing though and emails me every day when necessary so I'm hoping she will be just as fantastic when I'm having my pump meltdowns lol. Have you found the pump better? x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Unfortunately no one can come with me :( I'm a Midwifery student living away from home and my flatmate has just started a new job so can't take time of to come with me. My DSN is amazing though and emails me every day when necessary so I'm hoping she will be just as fantastic when I'm having my pump meltdowns lol. Have you found the pump better? x

If you have such a great rapport with DSN that's fantastic. I do with my consultant in my latest hospital.

I was one person on a thread years ago (when I first got it) that used to say I don't love it.... And I didn't. At the time I had probs with the sets and I knew it, but nobody else thought I was right. So I was a new pumper and reported to Accuchek and MRHA. There was a problem, and they were withdrawn, so it wasn't a good start for me really when nobody really believed that the sets were faulty.....especially when I went straight on to pump with 3 weeks notice and no real time to research much in those days. I was also the 13th person on pump at hospital so felt that I was unlucky!!

However, I do love my pump and for me Accuchek are superb, some staff still remember me from the faulty set complaining... They are fantastic.

rgibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have such a great rapport with DSN that's fantastic. I do with my consultant in my latest hospital.

I was one person on a thread years ago (when I first got it) that used to say I don't love it.... And I didn't. At the time I had probs with the sets and I knew it, but nobody else thought I was right. So I was a new pumper and reported to Accuchek and MRHA. There was a problem, and they were withdrawn, so it wasn't a good start for me really when nobody really believed that the sets were faulty.....especially when I went straight on to pump with 3 weeks notice and no real time to research much in those days. I was also the 13th person on pump at hospital so felt that I was unlucky!!

However, I do love my pump and for me Accuchek are superb, some staff still remember me from the faulty set complaining... They are fantastic.

3 weeks notice is crazy! I've had 2 weeks before this trail and I'm still not quite used to the idea! Good to know that theres support if something isn't quite right, that's one of my worries, if it's not working will I be told it's my fault for being a **** diabetic (based on my past history haha) I'm glad you love your pump now, I'm expecting to hate it for a bit as the more I read into people's thoughts on it most poeple don't love it straight off. My DSN has said I have to give it 6 months before I can decide to go back to MDI if I want so I suppose in a way thats good to give me time to adjust. Thanks for your feedback :) x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Messaged you to tell reasons why I had pump so quick, but most older members here know the reasons why.

Hope you got some reassurance and confidence you'll be ok....

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congrats getting the pump trial! Most people love it and never go back. There are challenges at first but they are worth overcoming.

My top tip would be to pay close attention to sick day rules, and when to replace infusion sets and insulin reservoirs (answer: at the first hint of possible trouble). This is because DKA is the only actual risk of going on the pump - the rest is just learning. So pay attention to that and you should be fine. Anecdotally I would say DKA seems to be a risk more in the early stages of pump use. There's nothing like a bout of DKA to make you more cautious!

rgibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats getting the pump trial! Most people love it and never go back. There are challenges at first but they are worth overcoming.

My top tip would be to pay close attention to sick day rules, and when to replace infusion sets and insulin reservoirs (answer: at the first hint of possible trouble). This is because DKA is the only actual risk of going on the pump - the rest is just learning. So pay attention to that and you should be fine. Anecdotally I would say DKA seems to be a risk more in the early stages of pump use. There's nothing like a bout of DKA to make you more cautious!
Thanks for the warning!! Can't wait to get started now! Monday feels like a lifetime away! x

Reactions: 3 people