Approved Product Design - Project Research

sdarling29692

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello everyone!

I am a final year undergraduate student. I am currently working towards my degree in Product Design BSc. For my final year project I am looking into the medical area of Diabetes. The aim of my project will be to develop a product that may be of benefit to people with diabetes.

Before beginning the design process I must gather as much information as possible about my chosen topic. I have two uncles, both of whom have Diabetes (one Type 1, the other Type 2).

This website and the forum within has been of great benefit to my research. It would be hugely appreciated if I were to gain a contact with knowledge of the affliction who could answer some of my questions.

In particular, identifying current problems within the area of diabetes, such as the devices being used, is a key area of focus. Any help you may be able to afford me will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards, sdarling29692

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Have relocated this into the research forum .
Given the OP topic heading .

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OP, is your project to develop a working product, or a product concept?

sdarling29692

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OP, is your project to develop a working product, or a product concept?
At the moment I am looking for concepts, but in the later stages of this project I will be bringing this concept forward through the design process, to being ready to be brought to market.. hopefully!

Reactions: 2 people

sdarling29692

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You sound like you are looking for us to invent something for you.:cat:
hahah that would be nice!
I'm in the beginning phase of my research, so I still have to define my "Problem Identification". So I can see how it might appear that way!

I've been talking to Type 1 & 2 diabetics, one who is sick of having to do the blood glucose check four times a day, his fingers are in bits! Another (Type 1) wants his insulin pump to be waterproof! :)

Reactions: 2 people

OzScot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool area to be looking in, and with good reason :) I work in medical device research and there are a lot of problems that you could pick. That said, if you want something to market then you'll find a massive regulatory challenge with devices that people depend on for their health needs. It also depends on the scope of your project - if you just want to design something that satisfies your course then don't worry about the regulatory environment . If you want something that you can try to make/sell then I'd aim for a complimentary product to those already on the market: a new type of medic-alert, better BG meter designs (no internal changes), better lancing devices for testing, etc.

Regardless, you've started with market research, which should give you some ideas :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the beginning phase of my research, so I still have to define my "Problem Identification". So I can see how it might appear that way!

I've been talking to Type 1 & 2 diabetics, one who is sick of having to do the blood glucose check four times a day, his fingers are in bits! Another (Type 1) wants his insulin pump to be waterproof! :)
If they are doing it only 4 times a day, they are very lucky.

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also some of the insulin pumps are waterproof so I wouldn't go down that root!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

I think Abbott might have beaten you to the avoiding finger pricking with the Libre...