The best testing monitors

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I am so confused about which is the best/most accurate/easiest to use testing kit! Can anyone please advise me please.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they are all much the same as regards accuracy. They only have to be within plus or minus 15% and there seems to be little difference. I only have experience of 2 different meters and both are easy to use. These are the Accu-chek Mobile and the SD Codefree. I started with the Accu-chek then moved to the Codefree simply because of the cost of the testing strips. If you don't get them free on prescription (which very few Type 2's do) the cost of the replacement strips is very important. There is a massive difference in cost, but most people on here buy the Codefree to save money on strips.

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The current medical standard require meters to be within 20% accuracy compared to lab tests. There's a "new generation" appearing with 15% accuracy, which is supposed to be the new standard.
Meter choice is mainly down to what features you need, if you get can strips on prescription (if not - the cost), and if it suits your needs (stuff like size, screen readability, extras like bolus calculator, testing ketones, etc). Do you want it rechargeable or with batteries? Etc...

I currently use Onetouch verio iq, and I like it. I ignore the "iq" part though :)

earlenyram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For regular monitoring the meters is ok but you should also go for blood sugar test in a pathelogy laboratory where test is done with chemicals and people say this type of test is accurate.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depends on affordability if you have to purchase the test strips yourself, but I've always used Accu-Chek meters and found them to be an excellent meter, did change to Contour meters for a short time and they were very good too, especially the Contour Next USB meter.

Reactions: 2 people

gymbob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
earlenyramearlenyram, the hba1c is for a completely different purpose to Meyer readings. Neither is better, nor worse, more or less necessary. Your medical team will sort your hba1c, but day to day you need to be checking with a meter, especially if you are on insulin, even more especially if you intend to drive, take exercise, are ill or stressed, or want the kind of God day to day control that gives a good hba1c reading!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i use the codefree monitor and their test strips seem to be the cheapest

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've used Contour, accu-chek, freestyle and one touch, usually simultaneously. I can't say I've seen a dramatic difference between them and they have tended to generate similar readings in low blood sugar situations.

And now I use the Libre pretty much full time!

Hope that helps.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Joki90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been using accu-chek meters for years and get free upgrades every time a new meter comes out as I'm registered with them. Currently using the accu-chek mobile meter and love it. Has a cassette which does 50 tests, no need for strips and the fastclix lancets nly need to b changed every 6 times. As a result ive been checkn my sugars more often as its no hassle at all, no need to dispose of anything wen I'm out and about and accu-chek giv u a free case, I chose the bigger one which holds my meter, 2 insulin pens and glucojuice so everything handy, loving life lol

AndyH010266

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the iBGStar on my iPhone, cheap to buy and the test strips and lances are available on prescription from my GP. Love it, works great and stores all data in iTunes or on my phone. Got it from Boots