Feeling down

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am feeling a bit low and need some advice please. I got diagnosed in June of this year with diabetes type 2 after I had a blood test because I turned 40 (I had no symptoms and still don't) and I was hugely shocked. I am diet/exercise control only and I have had success with weight loss losing 23lbs so far and getting my hba1c down from 55 to 44 with hard work. The problem is emotionally I am not coping very well still. I was an emotional eater before this and the impact is huge on me changing my lifestyle so much plus I am still quite confused about what I am doing.

A few things have happened lately to make me feel sad and unable to have fun anymore. I won some money on Saturday and in the past that would have been a takeaway for the family and I was angry that I could not do that. Also a nice cafe has opened up in my local park and pictures of the cakes were posted online and I just sat and cried about not being able to have anything. I am also dreading xmas as I love all that food how can I learn to cope better? I'm always baking my own sugar free cakes but it's not the same. My partner is not very sympathetic he wonders why I'm crying over cakes :(.

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your life has been turned upside down, your new normal probably feels like all the fun has been sucked out of it, you need to look for the positives you have had fantastic result with your weight and HBA1C. .
Try to cafe, you can have a drink, start planning for Christmas now, you will find if you plan right it you will be able to replace the sugary things with other options, plus when everyone in January is trying to loose the lbs you will still fit in LBD.

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I am feeling a bit low and need some advice please. I got diagnosed in June of this year with diabetes type 2 after I had a blood test because I turned 40 (I had no symptoms and still don't) and I was hugely shocked. I am diet/exercise control only and I have had success with weight loss losing 23lbs so far and getting my hba1c down from 55 to 44 with hard work. The problem is emotionally I am not coping very well still. I was an emotional eater before this and the impact is huge on me changing my lifestyle so much plus I am still quite confused about what I am doing.

A few things have happened lately to make me feel sad and unable to have fun anymore. I won some money on Saturday and in the past that would have been a takeaway for the family and I was angry that I could not do that. Also a nice cafe has opened up in my local park and pictures of the cakes were posted online and I just sat and cried about not being able to have anything. I am also dreading xmas as I love all that food how can I learn to cope better? I'm always baking my own sugar free cakes but it's not the same. My partner is not very sympathetic he wonders why I'm crying over cakes :(.
That's a fantastic weight loss since June! Well done you! Bet you feel and look great! How much are you hoping to lose?
I remember going to a pub and there was literally nothing on the menu I could eat. I low carb and everything was pasta or pizza or risotto. Felt pretty much like you. It does pass. There is something called the seven stages of grieving @catherinecherub hoping you can come to the rescue here as I can't remember where to find it and I'm pretty sure it was you who posted it once. If I've got my wires crossed I appologise!
I'm not saying that you should do this but occasionally I have half a piece of cake when I go out with my family to a cafe. Hubbie and I share. The money we save can be spent on clothes. I eat lchf which I find has helped me. I have posted some of my recipes up on a thread called Scandis recipes. Perhaps you'll find something you like there?
Ironically, I'd just bought a state of the art food mixer shortly before I was diagnosed! :confused:
Big hugs!

Reactions: 2 people

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys I am about half way through my weight loss as I was 3 stone overweight before diagnosis so keeping on with that. I do weight watchers which works for me as it favours protein over carbs. I'm just confused as to how often I can have a treat is it once a week/month what would be reasonable? I miss chinese takeaway a lot :( thanks for cheering me up a bit though

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I might be mistaken but if you don't have the rice or noodles, a monthly treat of main chinese is ok, I love seaweed and curried mushrooms,

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My favourite thing was chicken fried rice with sides of spring rolls and chicken battered balls

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you have a meter? It's one of the most valuable bits of kit I own in my war against diabetes! You could try food and then test. In the first 3 months I didn't drink or eat anything sweet. Now I'm more relaxed. Every couple of weeks, I go into town and have half a piece of cake. I have 2 squares of choccie every night and a low carb dessert once or twice a week. Are you eating low fat? I eat low carb higher fat which makes it easier to factor in treats because my body doesn't tolerate starchy carbs. What kind of take away are you missing?

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm missing chinese and sometimes good old fish and chips! I used to also love kfc but don't feel so fussed about that now

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do test but if I have rice at home it's brown/wholewheat and a very small portion

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a chinese takeaway at the end of my road so it's quite hard to ignore sorry I sound so whiny

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adjusting to the diagnosis is about a heck of a lot more than dietary changes and increasing exercise.
It involves huge emotional adjustment, grief, loss, anger... and we all experience it slightly differently and at different speeds.

Be gentle with yourself, and accept that these feelings are very real, and very natural - but they will pass.
Because that is how feelings work - they arrive, we experience them, and when we've done that, they pass.

Reactions: 6 people

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you it is reassuring to know that I will feel better right now I'm just feeling quite sad a lot of the time

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have a talk to them to see if you can get them to cook you low carb, no sugars, some of the sauce bases are made by the bucket full, so everything may not be available, also sweet and sour pork will taste funny just being sour
I wouldn't worry about a bit of corn starch as a thickener
no reason why you can't have chinese veggie and meat/seafood stirfry once a week

also are you getting enough fat in your diet?

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have fish and chips once in a blue moon. Can't remember when I had them last! I eat half the batter on the fish and have a toddler size portion of chips with curry sauce and that doesn't spike me too badly. About 8.5. Rice is a big no no for me though. As is naan bread :(
If I were you, I might be tempted to have a half portion of something and test every half hour afterwards to see what happens. That will give you an idea as to how your body reacts.
You're doing really well! Big hugs!

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My picture is a bit out of date but why cant you eat what you want and just inject more fast acting insulin to compensate for the extra carbs / sugar?

If i have a large meal i just have more fast acting to help compensate for it.

I also go to the gym and do i intensity class's and work outs 3 times a week.