Lidl's Tower Gate Scottish Oatcakes

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought these the other day for around €1 something. I like them after my meal with my green tea. You get 24 oakcakes in a pack. This is a savory snack.

One cake:
58kcal (3% RDA)
2.4g Fat (3% RDA)
0.6g Saturates (3% RDA)
0.3g Sugars (<1 % RDA)
0.15g Salt (3% RDA)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
where are the carbs? carbs and sugars are not the same.

Myfitnesspal says each cake is 8g of carbs which isnt insignificant.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So should I not eat these? I don't know anything about carbs...I usually look at the amount of sugar in things and since these have only 0.3 per cake I assumed they would be ok.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've bought these before, from memory they are around 6-7g of carbs each which is normal for this type of oatcake. .

Nairn's do a truly delicious Cheese Oatcake that has 3.7g of carbs each, a little more expensive than the likes of Lidl & Aldi's brands but well worth it :)

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Bazzza,
I find that the carbs figure is most accurate in determining the effects on B.G. as opposed to the sugar figure which omits all he non-sugar carbs.
Having said that, I can tolerate oatcakes better than some other carbs due to their slower uptake.

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Probably not - carbs raise your blood glucose the same as sugar. Have you been booked onto any education courses?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've bought these before, from memory they are around 6-7g of carbs each which is normal for this type of oatcake. .

Nairn's do a truly delicious Cheese Oatcake that has 3.7g of carbs each, a little more expensive than the likes of Lidl & Aldi's brands but well worth it :)

Nairns rough oatcakes are similar to the Lidl, 6.1g from my packet, as you said.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nairns rough oatcakes are similar to the Lidl, 6.1g from my packet, as you said.

They are all roughly the same, the Nairn's Cheese Oatcake is slightly thinner than the average oatcake.........hence the lower carb value.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys, can you post anymore things you eat/buy from lidl and aldis that would be ok to eat. I like to shop in there cause its cheap :p

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm becoming hooked on celery... breakfast is celery, cheese and nuts.... and it's now the celery I'm enjoying the most.... 12 months ago it would not have been that way at all.....

Reactions: 2 people