There is no more need for amputations due to diabetic foot ulcers.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason why wounds don't heal is because of blood circulation. The RBC's supply oxygen to every cell in the body. Now if there is a way to supply the wound and surrounding area with oxygen it WILL heal. Ozone is the answer. Ozone is O3 whereas oxygen is O2. In Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia and a few other countries, the technology is quite advanced. It does not matter what method one uses, it works!! I have used it to save my wife's toe. I came across the solution quite late, so now the toe is now a bit crooked, but at least it is still attached to her foot. If we started a month earlier, there would have been no problem at all.

On 2406 her left big toe looked bad and we got alarmed and took her to hospital. The doctors were quite blasè about the toe and wanted to amputate. On 3006 they sent her home. I then debrided the toe and that is the photo on 1007. A month ago the wound was healed, but there is a problem because the bone has move to where the skin has to form. That is the photo called Capture. It will require surgery to either remove the bone or to move it back where it belongs.

1307 (2) is an ulcer on her right toe that we caught in time. It is now perfectly healed.

It is not a fluke. The science behind it has been studied intensively in non-English speaking countries.

I really hope this helps someone.

Regards

HenryView attachment 7540View attachment 7543View attachment 7544View attachment 7546View attachment 7547View attachment 7540View attachment 7543View attachment 7544View attachment 7546View attachment 7547

It great news for your wife. If I ever get condition i will deff try this out and let you know how it goes.
Could I ask .. Is it the normal 'off the shelf' foot water spar bath or something more complated

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just remember that trying ozone (or homeopathy, or prayer) first means risking that you may have to have your leg amputated instead of just a toe, but no biggie - alternative treatments can't possibly harm anyone and you didn't really need that leg anyway.

Yeah, diabetes sucks but just because doctors can't cure everything doesn't mean it's a conspiracy. Btw, 9/11 was an inside job by aliens

oomhenry

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
It's great that the treatment worked for you, unfortunately it may not always and the risk in using an alternative treatment is that it may delay other treatments at a time when they have a chance of being successful..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3503389/
It is rapid intervention that is important. It's probably not true to say all amputations can be avoided but it seems that is true to say that with swift conventional intervention 80%+ can be avoided.http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/About Us/What we say/0160b-state-nation-2013-england-1213.pdf
Even better of course is preventative care.

The hospital I attend in France has had to perform no amputations for many years. In part because they are avoided with good preventative care and education and in part because in the unfortunate event of developing an ulcer , patients know to contact their doctors quickly and from there, there is effective care. (using conventional medicine)

The incidence in the UK is actually falling, though numbers are unfortunately rising because there are far more people with diabetes. The big problem in the UK is that the provision of foot care is patchy with data showing big variations in outcomes. In those areas that have rapid referral multiple disciplinary teams there are far fewer amputations ie in Brent which has one .There were ten amputations (major and minor) a year per 10,000 people , compared with an average across all PCTs of 27.45

(it's one of the things that DUK and NICE are pushing for; it costs money to set up but there is an eventual large saving in NHS resources. )

The NHS actually doesn't seem to be adverse to trying alternative therapies for wound care and treatment may including maggots, honey and sugar dressings. At the other end of the scale and possibly related since it increases oxygenated blood flow. The NHS does fund hyberbaric chamber therapy in some areas for some cases of diabetic leg ulcers and there are some trials going on. ( Though there aren't many facilities and some areas have it as 'do not fund' since a review in 2013 said that they are of uncertain benefit for the healing of diabetic foot ulcers.)

There is no good trial evidence to show that ozone therapy is effective (google reveals a review by the Malaysian health authorities and the Canadians who couldn't find any .http://www.cadth.ca/media/pdf/234_No8_ozonetherapy_preassess_e.pdf)

Unfortunately, ozone therapy is also touted as an alternative cure for everything under the sun including cancer. You will find it referred to in quackwatch and on the 'what's the harm website.
Although it may be an unscientific way of looking at it, I suspect that is probably one reason that any claims for efficacy in wound care are less likely to be considered
(edit: I've just followed up the Bocci paper which seems to be very speculative . It seems that Bocci is very much a lone proponent who has authored many of the papers on the subject)

Vocci seems to be the only one who could speak English or went through the trouble to publish in English. The majority of people in the world do not speak English and they publish papers in their languages. Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is? I am. I am willing to give 100 to 1 odds that ozone will heal ANY diabetic ulcer. What odds are you willing to give that it won't?

The drug companies are fighting it, so yeah, there is an element of conspiracy involved and it has been costing people their limbs. It was first used a century ago during WW1 to treat battle wounds. What happened that it became obscure?

It would be wise to ignore the American sites when you research this. The equator does not run through Kansas and Washington is not the Northpole.

Who cares what goes into a chocolatecake as long as it tastes good.

Last edited by a moderator:

oomhenry

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
It great news for your wife. If I ever get condition i will deff try this out and let you know how it goes.
Could I ask .. Is it the normal 'off the shelf' foot water spar bath or something more complated
I used an off the shelf spa with an ozone generator. You can pick them up on Ebay for a song. An ozone sauna would also work.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it is sanctioned because everyone can give themselves this therapy at home.

Where does the ozone source come from?

The drug companies in the USA are fighting this and that is the reason why it has not been sanctioned by the FDA. Maybe NICE is taking their cues from them.

Well Germany, the UK and the USA all finance healthcare in different ways so what applies to one won't apply to the others.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no reason to join in your bet since I don't have an ulcer and I have access to good, evidenced based treatment in France which I would use if I needed it.
My mother who did have a serious leg ulcer (not diabetes related, she had Parkinson's and was immobile ) had excellent and effective care from the NHS in the UK with daily visits from the nurse.
Early intervention though t means that daily foot checks for people with susceptible feet are important as well as reglar checks for Neuropathy
(re languages, the Malaysian review looked at evidence in all languages I agree that the majority of the world does not speak English , I live in France in any case. Howver the majority of scientific papers are published in English as it has become the international language of science (in Germany, which you mention, my son who spent some time there found that many of his University lectures were in English )

oomhenry

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
I have no reason to join in your bet since I don't have an ulcer and I have access to good, evidenced based treatment in France which I would use if I needed it.
My mother who did have a serious leg ulcer (not diabetes related, she had Parkinsons ) She had fantastic and effective care from the NHS in the UK with daily visits from the nurse.
Early intervention though t means that daily foot checks for people with susceptible feet are important as well as reglar checks for Neuropathy
(re languages, the Malaysian review looked at evidence in all languages I agree that the majority of the world does not speak English , I live in France in any case. Howver the majority of scientific papers are published in English as it has become the international language of science (in Germany, which you mention, my son who spent some time there found that many of his University lectures were in English )

You don't have to be a diabetic with an ulcer to take on my bet. You just need to be a sceptic. :D

I am glad for your mother. Is diabetic ulcers not a concern then? No amputations because of non healing ulcers? There is a lot of literature from Russia that is not available in English. It might be worth your while checking it out.

Okay I think I made the point that I wanted to make, so yeah, I wish you all good health and please do not amputate before you gave ozone a chance to work it's magic.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is an alotrope of oxygen. It is the ozone layer that everyone is so concerned about. It occurs in nature. It is that fresh clean smell you get after a good thunderstorm.

The ozone generators emulate that process:

I know what ozone is and I know how it is produced electrochemically in a laboratory. Any chemistry undergraduate can show how it is used to disinfect water. What I wanted to know is how you introduced the generated ozone into your footspa as it only has a halflife of a few seconds in water.

Most treatments involve ozonated autohemotherapy, where blood is drawn from the patient, ozone is added and then the ozonated sample is reinjected. This is what the clinics in Germany do, the type that you referred to. What you are advocating here though is a type of ozonated hydrotherapy, where ozone is added to water in a footspa and the patient simply puts his or her feet in a bubble bath. Very nice I'm sure, but the ozone would be depleted within seconds and most of it used in killing any bacteria in the footspa water rather than disinfecting or neutralising bacteria on the open wound or sore.

So, what exactly was the process your wife experienced since you claim to do this at home cheaply with a foot spa?

Would I for example get the same effect with a footspa and a tube of Alka Seltzer?

Reactions: 4 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS actually doesn't seem to be adverse to trying alternative therapies for wound care and treatment may including maggots, honey and sugar dressings.

Maggot therapy for treating diabetic foot ulcers unresponsive to conventional therapy. (Sherman, 2003)

OBJECTIVE: To assess the efficacy of maggot therapy for treating foot and leg ulcers in diabetic patients failing conventional therapy.

CONCLUSIONS:Maggot therapy was more effective and efficient in debriding nonhealing foot and leg ulcers in male diabetic veterans than was continued conventional care.

What we need is a Maggots versus Ozone Study.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading this with interest although I know nothing about ozone therapy for diabetic ulcers. My dentist gave me ozone therapy for a cold sore many years ago. It healed wonderfully, but the sore had to be completely covered so that the ozone couldn't be quickly depleted. This was really important, so with the very limited knowledge I have of ozone healing I tend to agree with Yorksman about it dissipating in the foot spa. The other thing was you needed to catch any sore at a very early stage.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@oomhenry Thank you for sharing your wife's success story. Those photos are gruesome. I don't know anything about the therapy, but appreciate you are trying to help us.

Reactions: 2 people

oomhenry

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
I know what ozone is and I know how it is produced electrochemically in a laboratory. Any chemistry undergraduate can show how it is used to disinfect water. What I wanted to know is how you introduced the generated ozone into your footspa as it only has a halflife of a few seconds in water.

Most treatments involve ozonated autohemotherapy, where blood is drawn from the patient, ozone is added and then the ozonated sample is reinjected. This is what the clinics in Germany do, the type that you referred to. What you are advocating here though is a type of ozonated hydrotherapy, where ozone is added to water in a footspa and the patient simply puts his or her feet in a bubble bath. Very nice I'm sure, but the ozone would be depleted within seconds and most of it used in killing any bacteria in the footspa water rather than disinfecting or neutralising bacteria on the open wound or sore.

So, what exactly was the process your wife experienced since you claim to do this at home cheaply with a foot spa?

Would I for example get the same effect with a footspa and a tube of Alka Seltzer?

The halflife is more like 5 minutes which is more than enough time to get into the bloodstream. I don't know what Alka Seltzer is, sorry. AHT will also work, but it is expensive and not readily available.

oomhenry

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Maggot therapy for treating diabetic foot ulcers unresponsive to conventional therapy. (Sherman, 2003)

OBJECTIVE: To assess the efficacy of maggot therapy for treating foot and leg ulcers in diabetic patients failing conventional therapy.

CONCLUSIONS:Maggot therapy was more effective and efficient in debriding nonhealing foot and leg ulcers in male diabetic veterans than was continued conventional care.

What we need is a Maggots versus Ozone Study.

Maggots are used for debriding a wound - getting rid of slough. Ozone supplies oxygen to the wound and stimulates the production of growth factors which assists in wound closure.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, to repeat my question, how do you get the generated ozone into the water in the footspa?

oomhenry

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
So, to repeat my question, how do you get the generated ozone into the water in the footspa?
You buy an ozone spa. I have no idea where to buy it in the UK, but I've seen them on Ebay. There are also salons where you can get an ozone sauna. You pay per session but that will become expensive over a period of time.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You buy an ozone spa. I have no idea where to buy it in the UK, but I've seen them on Ebay. There are also salons where you can get an ozone sauna. You pay per session but that will become expensive over a period of time.

And how long is treatment time?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oom Henry
I had a look on Ebay, and found lots of assorted products including an ozone tuning fork for some incredible price. I did find something that reminded me of something that I had forgotten . Our pool has a salt water/ozone generator so my daily swim is in water treated by this process. (still going 2/3 through October ). I don't find that cuts take long to heal so maybe the pool water helps; but maybe it's because I have a low HbA1c. However, in spite of all the claims for such treatment, the only way we keep our pool at the right PH , clean and algae free is very frequent cleaning. (and even then we sometimes wake up to a nightmare green pool)
What's this got to do with your claims? . I think that the loving care you took in cleaning and debriding may well have played the biggest part in your wife's treatment. If you need care again then I would urge you to seek mainstream care and if it isn't forthcoming then do what you have done before o^3 is a good disinfectant
I'm not convinced that using a good disinfectant is going to be a cure for all (it isn't for the Russians either , article fortunately in English http://www.woundsinternational.com/...ussia-has-the-eastern-bloc-gotten-the-message)
I'm still convinced though that the solution is in both prevention and rapid intervention

Reactions: 3 people