A bit concerned

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been coping with good blood sugar readings for 10 years on low carb/low low GI diet but am becoming concerned because I am getting fasting morning readings of more than 6 now for the first time since I was diagnosed e.g. yesterday 6.7 and today 6.5. Incidentally I took my blood sugar before bed and it was 6.1 so I was surprised at the 6.5 this morning. I had some natural yoghurt before bed (actually Kefir) which shouldn't have spiked.
I have taken readings now and again during the day and after four or 5 hours it is 5.5ish. Have just taken it now 3 hours or so after my homemade muesli breakfast - really the only carby meal of the day and it was 6.1. The other strange thing is my BP is a lot higher than usual but this may be because I am testing out a new version of the Ayurvedic remedy I take for this and the new version made to stop a couple of minor side effects is not as powerful as the previous one.

I am popping down to the Doctor's today to pick up my medical notes that have been photocopied for me (at a fee!!) and will ask if there is any way of getting a HBA1C without having to see a doctor or nurse as there appears to be a 6 week waiting list to see anyone at our surgery except if you phone on the day for an emergency!! It is a year since my last and I had a helloover problem trying to persuade the young doctor to let me have one . I just sat there and wouldn't budge and kept saying "I would like an HBA1C and giving my reasons until she relented!! I hate going to the doctor because I am still getting free strips and I know I am not entitled to them anymore and don't want them to notice and stop them!!!

Basically I am asking at what point do you experienced people think I should go and see about starting on Metformin.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ask your Dr but MY guess..it may be the change of drugs messing with your hormones, see if it settles down.
it's not spiking after a breakfast of muesli, 40g? ...so there is not much wrong with your pancreas

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ask your Dr but MY guess..it may be the change of drugs messing with your hormones, see if it settles down.
it's not spiking after a breakfast of muesli, 40g? ...so there is not much wrong with your pancreas
Have just taken it again - about 45 mins since the 6.1 and I am feeling hungry for my lunch and it has gone down to 5.3 so really I reckon it is just the fasting numbers that are the problem.

The tablets I take for my BP are herbal ayurvedic and fasting blood sugar problem has been going on before I started the new formulation. The morning numbers have been gradually creeping up for the last couple of months. I have never had over 6 unless I have had a cold or flu .

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, i didn't say it but I meant just the morning one being high and it seems it's not drug related
dawn phenomenon? have you put on some weight for the insulin resistance to increase?
I would discuss metformin with the Dr, but you are prediabetic with those numbers and you may not get them
the other thing is new research has shown the IR makes the body convert more glucose- to-fuuctose upto 10x that of a normal person, so I have cut my fruit and fructose products out..it makes the liver work harder

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ricky, I shouldn't worry too much just yet. Wait and see if it is a trend, you might go back to your usual readings if it is an infection that causes your higher readings or it can be other hormones interfering too. Keep testing and see where it takes you.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack - I only eat whole fruit with a meal . It was the best piece of advice at the beginning I was ever given!! If you think there is no cause for worry yet I am not going near the doctor as I am terrified that the strips I get now on prescription will be stopped if they realise I am still getting them!!

Totto- I think this has been going on too long to be an infection. I have not put on any weight - My diabetes is inherited not weight induced.

At what point doing you think I would be put on Metformin. My sister who lives abroad was recenttly diagnosed
, tried my low carb/low GI + exercise regime for 3 months and it made no difference to her. She was put on Metformin at 6.8 HBA1C . I thought that was very early but the reasoning was to protect the insulin producing cells which are still working. She was only given a few strips and I think has run out now but was meant to be having another HBA1C this week.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The NICE pathways state HbA1c should be monitored at 2 to 3 month intervals until levels have stabilised within target levels with current medication, then afterwards at 6 monthly intervals. So you should be having at least 6 monthly tests.

They also state Metformin can be considered if patient's HbA1c is equal to or above 6.5% (48) or agreed target.

http://pathways.nice.org.uk/pathway...py-for-type-2-diabetes.xml&content=view-index

(best to download the pdf file as it gives extra info.)

Your jump from 6.1 at bedtime to 6.5 this morning is negligible considering the foibles of our monitors, which can be 15% out either way, but if it was correct, then it was probably just a liver dump. It is the 6.1 at bedtime I would be more concerned about and is probably down to what you ate for your evening meal.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Bluertit1802 that is what I wanted to know. This is why I need to know what my HbA1c is now.

I popped in to the surgery this afternoon and the receptionist said she would ask a doctor if I can have an HbA1c and leave a blood test form for me tomorrow. (I had a bit of CoYO icecream last night which is a non dairy one sweetened with coconut nectar nothing else that was carbs)

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ricky, if your diabetes is inherited, does that mean you don't suffer from insulin resistance? You see, metformin works primarily by reducing insulin resistance. So if not resistant to insulin there isn't really any point in trying metformin.

My GP felt it wasn't much use for me trying it anyway.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ricky, if your diabetes is inherited, does that mean you don't suffer from insulin resistance? You see, metformin works primarily by reducing insulin resistance. So if not resistant to insulin there isn't really any point in trying metformin.

My GP felt it wasn't much use for me trying it anyway.
I have no idea if it is IR or not. This has never been discussed!! So what medication are you on? My sister has been put on Metformin but until she tells me the result of her test this week we have no idea if it has worked for her.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea if it is IR or not. This has never been discussed!! So what medication are you on? My sister has been put on Metformin but until she tells me the result of her test this week we have no idea if it has worked for her.
I am on diet only and it works fine so far on LCHF. But I take the HF part of it very seriously.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin reduces insulin resistance, the production of glucose from the liver, and appetite; but all to a limited extent. Also, I have read somewhere on this forum it is generally only effective on persons that are overweight. However, as it helps a little with the production of glucose from the liver, it may help with any morning liver dumps.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you are worrying unnecessarily. That fasting level is quite good. Fasting tests don't mean much as they are affected by overnight glucose dumps by the liver. Meter checks 2 hours after a meal are a better indicator of how your diabetes is going. If you are officially diagnosed as a diabetic your surgery MUST give you an HBa1C at least once a year ref NICE guidelines so insist on it. Your last HBa1C was effectively in the non-diabetic range so you only need an annual HBa1C at the moment.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All interesting information here . Thanks. My sister is very slim and she gets the results of her HbA1c tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what they are after 3 months of metformin. I have always weighed more than her despite being 3 or 4 inches shorter - at the top end of the normal BMI but mainly because I am very muscular from working out so much in the gym.
I am just having my evening meal - homemade soup celery and mushroom with soya milk and probably some black bean powder which I buy when I am in Singapore for extra protein. and my quick low carb meal of- large bed of spinach in a flan dish , 2 eggs on top, sprinkled with grated cheese and microwaved for 2.5 minutes. I will also have a slice of fresh pineapple . If I remember I will take my blood sugar before bed.
From my records it looks as if my first HbA1c in August 05 was 6.6 after which I drastically changed my diet. I was already exercising then so no change with that!!
Live long and pawspurr - by HF did you mean high fat ? I don't restrict fat either and try to remember to eat a teaspoon of coconut oil a day.

Reactions: 2 people

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update - I managed to get an HbA1C by saying to the receptionist that I don't want to waste the doctor's time but it is a year since I had my last test and would like another. She said she would ask and 3 days later I got the form which said on it HbA1C- at patients request!!!!! Anyway just got my results and it was 40 which equates to 5.8% which is only 0.1 up from last year. So I case I can stop worrying about the over 6 fasting numbers!!!

Reactions: 4 people