Headache for a provisional

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I applied for my provisional about 2/3 months ago and they took the money for it but they sent a letter and I filled the form in about all the details relating to my diabetes but I don't see why :/ I know to inform my doctor about when I start lessons which I wasn't going to start yet, it really is just a headache I might not even bother learning to drive if I'm going to be put through an interrogation about my diabetes :/

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i was thinking about learning to drive but i was put off

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe the DVLA are mostly interested in any hypo's you may have had - and whether you needed third party assistance. There are thousands upon thousands of diabetic drivers in the UK so having diabetes should never put you off driving.

If you have regular hypo's and they get to a stage where someone else has to step in to help you recover, well that's a problem. No-one wants a driver on the road that may pass out and cause fatalities. If you have good control however, enjoy the lessons and I hope you pass 1st time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I applied for my provisional about 2/3 months ago and they took the money for it but they sent a letter and I filled the form in about all the details relating to my diabetes but I don't see why :/ I know to inform my doctor about when I start lessons which I wasn't going to start yet, it really is just a headache I might not even bother learning to drive if I'm going to be put through an interrogation about my diabetes :/
The DVLA are making sure you are fit to drive. Once you have a provisional licence, its basically a licence to kill if in the wrong hands so for the safety of other road users and yourself these checks need to be made.
Why do you need to inform your Dr about having driving lessons? I doubt he will send you a good luck card :)
At the very most you will only have a 3 year licence issued so once issued you will then have to go through the same process every 3 years for the privilege to hold a driving licence.
You are not being picked on just because you have diabetes, anyone who has certain medical conditions on the DVLA list have to do exactly the same as you.

Reactions: 4 people

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's just a long process for what I'll get out of it, it really is putting me off driving :/ my doctors said they needed to know, tbh I'm not sure why lol I think it's great that they wanna ensure people's safety but there completely ruining my confidence

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There will be many occasions on the path of life where we will think .... "is this really worth it"? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I believe from some of the information I have read on this site that your Doctor has a legal obligation to inform the DVLA if you have ever had a hypo that required medical attention. There is a section on the forum relating to Diabetes and the DVLA that you can go through - it may arm you with good information. If you really want to learn to drive and your control of your diabetes is considered "good" by your doctors, then go for it,

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's just a long process for what I'll get out of it, it really is putting me off driving :/ my doctors said they needed to know, tbh I'm not sure why lol I think it's great that they wanna ensure people's safety but there completely ruining my confidence

I don't see why it should ruin your confidence, once the medical forms have been completed and processed and the DVLA decide that you are eligible, you will get a 1, 2 or 3 year licence. Having a licence brings independence and means you don't have to rely on others or public transport to get around, as others have said, it's all about keeping everyone safe on the roads.

Reactions: 2 people