First bg test- 8.1

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Is this an ok result? Just did the test a few minutes ago. I've not had dinner yet.
Am struggling a bit with the settings, simple stuff like the wrong date but I did only just switch it on
Is it just personal preference to have results in mmol or hba1c and can you amend this on the monitor?

Ta!
MrsM
x

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If it is a monitor for the UK it will be in mmol/l It will not measure HbA1c although some meters try to estimate this from averaging your readings in mmol/l but it isnt a true reading.

As for your reading of 8.1 before eating. That is a little high - even the NHS course I went on said do not eat if above 7 - not always possible but is a reasonable target. The reason they say this is because you will rise when you eat food and they want you to try and stay under 10.

You could bring this figure of 8 down by climbing the stairs a few times (the more you can do the better). It is surprising how well it works. Alternatively if it is dinner time eat and then try the stairs or go for a walk (hope it isnt raining)

Reactions: 4 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been on my NHS course yet, but if its preferable not to eat if your blood glucose is above 7 I think I'll not be eating for a very long time!!!

Reactions: 6 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yep - that iis why I said "not always possible" so here are the nhs BG guidelines

Type 2 diabetes 4 to 7 mmol/L before eating and
under 8.5 mmol/L at 2 hours after eating

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That is for a well controlled T2 though, newly diagnosed will take time, and should take some time to get the numbers down to start with.

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that the best way to bring levels down as a newly diagnosed is to test before and two hours after each meal, and adjust carbohydrate intake ( in next meal) until the after meal counts are within 2 mmol of the before meal counts.

Once this 2 mmol target is consistently achieved a gradual downward trend in before meal counts should follow.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As regards to the date, you should be able to go back into the main menu and amend it, refer to the instruction manual.

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the nhs course say do not eat if you are over 7 ? How are you supposed to know that if they tell you not to test.
I really do not understand this?
I would have only eat once this week if i had known that.
So is this right.... I should not eat until i get to 7.?

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If the nhs course say do not eat if you are over 7 ? How are you supposed to know that if they tell you not to test.
I really do not understand this?
I would have only eat once this week if i had known that.
So is this right.... I should not eat until i get to 7.?

That statement is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it. You could eat just a little amount. That will help to bring your numbers down. Have a look at the Newcastle Diet that is precisely what that does or read my first 3 month journey in the first link in my signature.

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i am getting a bit down in dumps today. Had nothing since 5 last night still not low enough to eat, walked for over an hour just cleaned our 2 cars by hand in the rain. Really hungry now. So i am going to have a grapefruit and some low fat yogurt and granola.
I have just had a look at that diet doctor page and it makes sense untill it comes to the fat intake. I really can not get my head around it.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
that is because fat does nothing to your BG levels whereas carbohydrate is a direct correlation to raised levels and to a leesser extent protein.

Fat on their own are ok it is just when you have them in combination with carbs they become an issue. Hence low carb and fat is fine.

BTW low fat yogurt=high sugar
granola = high carb
grapefruit = sugar but there is some info that it may actually lower your BG

have scrambled egg, bacon, sausage instead with green beans, mushrooms, ....

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
dont go hungry just dont give in to the carbs for now. Going hungry will make your liver deliver glucose into your blood stream which is what you are seeing

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
dont go hungry just dont give in to the carbs for now. Going hungry will make your liver deliver glucose into your blood stream which is what you are seeing
But i was told to lower my fat as my cholesterol was raised. Also to eat loads of fruit.
This is very confusing.
I measured 12.4 this afternoon went out for a run and got 5.1

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done on the 5.1!!

NHS advice is a little bit designed to supposedly "fit all". It doesn't.

Have a look at @ally1 posts and you will see proof of a struggling T2 and how she is so getting her levels lower. Some of her levels had reached 30+ and hospital.... She is a real example, along with @allibee of success by following a lower carb diet....

Fat is a hard thing to get your head around.... But fat does ****** all to bg levels...but you do need to eat lower carbs...

Fat n carbs are wonderfully balanced by the food industry together to make you want to eat more.. N more.. N more.

Fat.. Does not make you fat. Nor does it give you heart attacks....

NHS guidelines are behind the times. They are starting to shift, but they are not based on true facts. Look up "the big fat surprise" book... £1.29 on amazon kindle. Find out from real facts how the USA influenced the food pyramid and wrongly reported facts. It is a very interesting read.

Your future with diabetes is determined from your choosing which eating lifestyle works for you. You should never need to starve yourself!
Never.

You will finf from monitoring your foods what can work for you. Try a low carb breakfast of bacon, eggs n mushrooms and test yourself. Then the next day have toast or porridge and test yourself.... I pretty much think you will see a difference in your results to tell you which one works.
Or try a pie with potato etc for dinner compared to a healthy omega 3 enriched egg omlette with cheese.

Do not believe everything that the NHS advises on fat though before reading the book I have suggested.

Reactions: 3 people

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on the 5.1!!

NHS advice is a little bit designed to supposedly "fit all". It doesn't.

Have a look at @ally1 posts and you will see proof of a struggling T2 and how she is so getting her levels lower. Some of her levels had reached 30+ and hospital.... She is a real example, along with @allibee of success by following a lower carb diet....

Fat is a hard thing to get your head around.... But fat does ****** all to bg levels...but you do need to eat lower carbs...

Fat n carbs are wonderfully balanced by the food industry together to make you want to eat more.. N more.. N more.

Fat.. Does not make you fat. Nor does it give you heart attacks....

NHS guidelines are behind the times. They are starting to shift, but they are not based on true facts. Look up "the big fat surprise" book... £1.29 on amazon kindle. Find out from real facts how the USA influenced the food pyramid and wrongly reported facts. It is a very interesting read.

Your future with diabetes is determined from your choosing which eating lifestyle works for you. You should never need to starve yourself!
Never.

You will finf from monitoring your foods what can work for you. Try a low carb breakfast of bacon, eggs n mushrooms and test yourself. Then the next day have toast or porridge and test yourself.... I pretty much think you will see a difference in your results to tell you which one works.
Or try a pie with potato etc for dinner compared to a healthy omega 3 enriched egg omlette with cheese.

Do not believe everything that the NHS advises on fat though before reading the book I have suggested.
Thanks

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But i was told to lower my fat as my cholesterol was raised. Also to eat loads of fruit.
This is very confusing.
I measured 12.4 this afternoon went out for a run and got 5.1
I increased my fat intake to replace the calories lost by eating low carb. My cholesterol is 3.7 after 4 months of eating higher fat. Same as it ever was.

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for advice, i will try low carbs , high protein as you suggest.
I really do not think i can cut out all carbs straight way but i am going to limit it.
Seems strange to cut out fruit too. goes against everything we have been told for years
BTW i tried loking at @allly1 she has blocked her profile

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
P.s i am a rubbish omelette maker, never been able to do them.:jimlad: