Cake Rota!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As you say, tell them you need to supply your own nibbles, and they should accept that with no problem.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hey,

Why not try to educate them?

I take choc chip cake (less than 15g carbs) and blueberry muffins and apple muffins in to my GP practice... To try and educate them that you can still eat and enjoy low carb food.....

The majority don't know why I do this but the Practice Manager as a type 2 certainly does....

Why not actually try looking up some lower carb foods (puddings/cakes) on this website and making them.

I love quietly educating people. I also take in cream as well!!

There is no reason to go without as a type 1, as you should be anle to bolus to counteract. As a type 2 its different... But there's a huge amount of paleo and ketogenic recipes out there to look at that have so few carbs in them....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If it once a week etc, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with joining in. If its everyday, its a different story....

xgemmiex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never heard of fat bombs!! I like the sound of them though, just googled and a few nice looking ones appeared. Quick question though, if I may, can we get cocounut butter in this country? Is it a health food shop item.. ie Holland & Barratt?

I'm completely loving that every new thing I find has chocolate in it :happy:

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got coconut butter off eBay, via Amazon and at H&B

It ain't cheap though, but watch for the deals.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never heard of fat bombs!! I like the sound of them though, just googled and a few nice looking ones appeared. Quick question though, if I may, can we get cocounut butter in this country? Is it a health food shop item.. ie Holland & Barratt?

I'm completely loving that every new thing I find has chocolate in it :happy:

have a look at creamed coconut block from an indian grocery, will be 1/10 of a trendy health food place...or make your own by food processer fresh coconut meat

tumblr_l15eqcEDbX1qzp1hc.jpg

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few months ago, I watched someone making coconut butter in the street, using an ancient looking wooden churn-like gizmo.

But, on the cake rota. I'd just ensure I had something appropriate to eat with me, and when my turn, I'd just get on with it.

You're right, your colleagues don't care if you join in or not. Do you want to be the only one not joining in?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope don't want to be the only one not joining in....... I want to be stuffing my face full of cake!!

Reactions: 10 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not be different and take some different cheeses, crackers and fruit such as grapes and apples -that way you'll be able to join in

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well as its a monthly meeting try making some of your own recipes of cakes n treats and take in. Honestly there is a lovely recipe that I sometimes make for 9 chocolate bars!! Doesn't even have to be cooked! I just look at paleo and ketogenic recipes on internet and download books from kindle. My latest is a wonderful crumble, but the crumble mix is made from ground almonds, coconut oil, coconut milk and loads of nuts blended and cream on top of course.

There are so many lovely recipes to try. I just think when others are stuffing themselves with carb laden cakes that I'll remain lean and they'll get fatter....works wonders for me!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope don't want to be the only one not joining in....... I want to be stuffing my face full of cake!!
looks like this is going to a life changing and growing experience..not all feel good at the time :)

G

graj0

Fascinating subject. Food at business meetings eh? Never used to happen in my day, you'd be lucky to get a biscuit with your coffee! LOL Come to think of it, you'd be lucky to get a coffee. Is food used as an incentive to get people to attend meetings?

There really is an etiquette to consider when getting food for a group of people at a meeting. You wouldn't provide something with nuts in it if someone had a nut allergy. People can also have an intolerance to dairy, wheat, gluten, yeast, histamine. IBS, migraine, coeliac, crohn's are just a few of the problems caused by intolerance to certain food items.

Being diabetic and wanting to avoid carbs a bit is just the tip of the iceberg and that's before we think of the soporific effect of eating stodgy food anyway.

Who was it really said "Let them eat cake". I'm not sure how other people avoid things they shouldn't really have, like booze when they're driving, but I don't ever enter into a conversation with myself and debate the merits or otherwise of some action, I know what the answer is anyway.

Good luck.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would bring in things that you can have - so maybe strawberries and cream or mixed berries and cream. Perhaps cheesecake with fruit would be a slightly better alternative to cake. If you avoided the base I think it would work.

Or I have some some of the other ladies on here talking about muffins and things that they make - maybe you could tell your colleagues that you have a medical reason that means you cannot eat cake and ask them to try some of these recipes instead?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
All the business meetings I had, it was more of a Greggs on the way in, rather than a home baking the night before. Then again, it was normally me buying them on expenses for the staff, so it probably depends on the type of meeting and social group for the etiquette as well.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
How about taking enough chocolate éclairs for everyone? One each then you can not go overboard. They are about 5 or 6 carbs per éclair, they can be found in the frozen food dept at most supermarkets. Morrisons have them for 81p for 6 at the moment.

Reactions: 4 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband's company is French and while some folks bring in pastries, others have taken to bringing in a selection of cold meats and cheese, which goes down just as well.

Reactions: 6 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I have got coconut butter off eBay, via Amazon and at H&B

It ain't cheap though, but watch for the deals.

Tesco £1.50 for a large 500ml jar. I think only the large 24hr Tesco stock them. I bought 5 jars last week, week before I bought 2 jars from Holland Barrett for around £25!!

xgemmiex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tesco £1.50 for a large 500ml jar. I think only the large 24hr Tesco stock them. I bought 5 jars last week, week before I bought 2 jars from Holland Barrett for around £25!!
Ouch at £25!
Thank you - Tesco is so much easier for me to get to than Holland & Barrett.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, work cake culture.. I'm quite adept at avoiding the obligatory "go on one won't hurt"...
I worked in a garage back in the mid 90's & it was customary for the birthday boy/girl to bring cake for all..

This one lad brought in home made "hash cake" (enough for the shop floor.) & shoved the tin on my desk in front of me.. :eek:
Our general manager passed by at this moment & luckily wanting to be "one of the boys". took what would have been my share of cake.. Carry on said I.. ;)
Now this manager was a functioning alcaholic anyway so by the the cake had been digested he'd spun out like "David Brent" at a Woodstock..
We all just sat back & watched the show.

I don't eat cake. Unless it's the only option for a hypo.. In these situations at work? I leave it on the side & say "I'll have it later", no one notices I haven't touched it...
In the rare event of having to buy in..? I underestimate the amount by one. & forfeit.!