Prediabetes diagnosis

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I found my blood sugars rose about 2 after my surgery from always being around the 5's on average I spent about 4 weeks in the 7's. It slowly came down (op was 14 August ) and now back on the 5's most days.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I found my blood sugars rose about 2 after my surgery from always being around the 5's on average I spent about 4 weeks in the 7's. It slowly came down (op was 14 August ) and now back on the 5's most days.
Thanks. Really interesting. My knee replacement was 25th June so BS readings should be fairly accurate now.

Not looking forward to next March when I have to get the other knee sorted. In fact, dreading it.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope all goes well with your next op mine was a hip replacement but have been told I need a knee replacement on the same leg in the near future . When you have had the next op it will be great to be able to walk as normal even dance !! Good luck x

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hope all goes well with your next op mine was a hip replacement but have been told I need a knee replacement on the same leg in the near future . When you have had the next op it will be great to be able to walk as normal even dance !! Good luck x
Thanks!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I had my operation I didn't notice any change in my BG readings. So you may not either.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are still data gathering, you should eat whatever you usually might have before you knew about pre-diabetes.

If you are not still data gathering, do you understand which foods have been raising your bloods? It doesn't feel like you'll have much data to go on.

Woah! Was at my daughter's for lunch today and had one Warburton's Seeded Thin filled with chicken, tomato and cucumber. Before my BG was 5.7, 2 hours later 9.8! Can see why data gathering in SO important now! Bit of a shock.

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A very similar thing happened to me a few months ago. I ate in a café, had a tuna-mayo sandwich on 2 slices of thin granary bread. I shot up to double figures at 2 hours and was still high at 3 hours. It is a shock, isn't it! Lesson learnt.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A very similar thing happened to me a few months ago. I ate in a café, had a tuna-mayo sandwich on 2 slices of thin granary bread. I shot up to double figures at 2 hours and was still high at 3 hours. It is a shock, isn't it! Lesson learnt.
Yes, certainly is.

Can you tell me if that is why I feel so tired this afternoon? Will be interested to test before dinner this evening. Playing it safe will steak, sweet potato mash and lots of spinach!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it could be. Too many carbs or higher than normal BS can make you tired.

Have you tested sweet potato mash before? Personally I don't like it, but I know from this forum some people can eat it whilst others can't. Eat it and test at 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours, in the interests of science of course!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, it could be. Too many carbs or higher than normal BS can make you tired.

Have you tested sweet potato mash before? Personally I don't like it, but I know from this forum some people can eat it whilst others can't. Eat it and test at 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours, in the interests of science of course!
Have eaten it several times and it has little or no effect.

Getting a bit fed up pricking my fingers, but needs must.

Reactions: 4 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Morning.

I was prediabetic over a year ago and my doctor, at that time, didn't think to mention it.

Diet wise, therefore, I kept eating exactly the same and even that deteriorated for around three or four months after my knee replacement.

What I'd like to know now is, armed with my new-found knowledge, will I be able to reverse the prediabetic diagnosis to normal BS?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning.

I was prediabetic over a year ago and my doctor, at that time, didn't think to mention it.

Diet wise, therefore, I kept eating exactly the same and even that deteriorated for around three or four months after my knee replacement.

What I'd like to know now is, armed with my new-found knowledge, will I be able to reverse the prediabetic diagnosis to normal BS?

Yes, you can. With the right diet you can get your numbers down to non-diabetic levels and hopefully keep them there. Plenty of people on this forum with full blown type 2 have done this, starting from quite high numbers at diagnosis.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning.

Lynn - If you look at my signature, under this posting, you will see my numbers have been in the non-diabetic range for several months. In fact, my only tests in the diabetic range were at the point of diagnosis. And, yes. I have worked quite hard to achieve that situation.

I think you can manage it, without too many sacrifices, but there are no guarantees. It depends why you achieve pre-diabetes in the first place. It could be diet, reducing exercise, steroid use, weight gain or even your pancreas getting a bit tired and unable to cope with your previously usual way of living. Of course, some of those things, like weight gain, don't or probably don't apply to you, but those show the non-exhaustive scope of reasons why these things happen.

But, you have to ask yourself. If/When you achieve this, what does it really mean? What would your intentions be? Just crack on as you always did? Stick with any changes you made on the journey or something even different to taht.

Pre-diabetes is just a label, reflecting a state. Does the label matter, or how you deal with the fall-out of the diagnosis? (Rhetorical question for you to consider.)

I suggest you perhaps take a bit of time to re-read this thread, back from the beginning. There is LOADS of information on it, including the answer to the question you posed this morning (reply #33). There's so much to take in at the outset, there's no way you can take all of it in, so a little revisit is probably timely.

I'm sure you're starting to see some interesting data building up from your testing. It's quite fascinating, No? But, I will reiterate that, for you, I think it is really important you test all of your previous diet - including your KitKat and any other such foods you have eaten in the past. You may be absolutely fine on them - especially if you understand when you might be able to consume them. For example, it might not be best to have them as dessert after the bread that disturbed you yesterday, but after an omellete, salad or something else lower carb, it could be absolutely fine. I do urge you not to go too OTT in how you restrict yourself.

When is your next test due?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lynn - If you look at my signature, under this posting, you will see my numbers have been in the non-diabetic range for several months. In fact, my only tests in the diabetic range were at the point of diagnosis. And, yes. I have worked quite hard to achieve that situation.

I think you can manage it, without too many sacrifices, but there are no guarantees. It depends why you achieve pre-diabetes in the first place. It could be diet, reducing exercise, steroid use, weight gain or even your pancreas getting a bit tired and unable to cope with your previously usual way of living. Of course, some of those things, like weight gain, don't or probably don't apply to you, but those show the non-exhaustive scope of reasons why these things happen.

But, you have to ask yourself. If/When you achieve this, what does it really mean? What would your intentions be? Just crack on as you always did? Stick with any changes you made on the journey or something even different to taht.

Pre-diabetes is just a label, reflecting a state. Does the label matter, or how you deal with the fall-out of the diagnosis? (Rhetorical question for you to consider.)

I suggest you perhaps take a bit of time to re-read this thread, back from the beginning. There is LOADS of information on it, including the answer to the question you posed this morning (reply #33). There's so much to take in at the outset, there's no way you can take all of it in, so a little revisit is probably timely.

I'm sure you're starting to see some interesting data building up from your testing. It's quite fascinating, No? But, I will reiterate that, for you, I think it is really important you test all of your previous diet - including your KitKat and any other such foods you have eaten in the past. You may be absolutely fine on them - especially if you understand when you might be able to consume them. For example, it might not be best to have them as dessert after the bread that disturbed you yesterday, but after an omellete, salad or something else lower carb, it could be absolutely fine. I do urge you not to go too OTT in how you restrict yourself.

When is your next test due?

Thanks for your continous guidance and excellent advice. I am sure that steroid use, lack of exercise (due to knees!) plus weight gain have all contributed. Still not able to do much in the way of exercise and, of course, I refuse to take any more steroids. Weight is reducing steadily.

IF I do overcome this, my intention is to maintain a new, healthier way of life. I'd be mad not to. Through completely different medical reasons i.e. Circulatory problems, my mother had an above-the-knee amputation and it was devastating.

I have re-read this thread several times, but am still a little shocked at the news and it hasn't all sunk in yet.

Yes, discovering some interesting facts i.e. I can eat maybe one slice of bread, but not two, Warburton's Thins are a total no-no. Porridge seems pretty ok, but maybe not every morning. Be careful with sausages. Not sure about seeded Ryvita; maybe only one instead of two. Smaller portion of sweet potato. My system loves chicken, cheese, eggs, steak, most vegetables and homemade curry!

By next testing, do you mean home or surgery? Have just received some very bad news as a family, Can stress levels push up BG?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your continous guidance and excellent advice. I am sure that steroid use, lack of exercise (due to knees!) plus weight gain have all contributed. Still not able to do much in the way of exercise and, of course, I refuse to take any more steroids. Weight is reducing steadily.

IF I do overcome this, my intention is to maintain a new, healthier way of life. I'd be mad not to. Through completely different medical reasons i.e. Circulatory problems, my mother had an above-the-knee amputation and it was devastating.

I have re-read this thread several times, but am still a little shocked at the news and it hasn't all sunk in yet.

Yes, discovering some interesting facts i.e. I can eat maybe one slice of bread, but not two, Warburton's Thins are a total no-no. Porridge seems pretty ok, but maybe not every morning. Be careful with sausages. Not sure about seeded Ryvita; maybe only one instead of two. Smaller portion of sweet potato. My system loves chicken, cheese, eggs, steak, most vegetables and homemade curry!

By next testing, do you mean home or surgery? Have just received some very bad news as a family, Can stress levels push up BG?

I meant your next HbA1c, at the surgery.

I'm sorry you've had some bad news. Unfortunately, stress can elevate levels, but like everything else, don't assume it will or won't. Where there is a situation you're not in control of, you just have to try to minimise your stress (as you undoubtedly would anyway) and hope it passes in due course.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I meant your next HbA1c, at the surgery.

I'm sorry you've had some bad news. Unfortunately, stress can elevate levels, but like everything else, don't assume it will or won't. Where there is a situation you're not in control of, you just have to try to minimise your stress (as you undoubtedly would anyway) and hope it passes in due course.

I have no idea about next test. My doctor didn't seem remotely concerned about diagnosis and only recommended I attend a workshop at the surgery. Have yet to hear when that will be. So, in the meantime, I've taken matters into my own hands.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I didn't - but that is probably because of other health issues and family history.

I don't want to discourage you because the odds are that you can get your BG back into the normal zone.
But you may always have an increased risk, and if at some time you take your eye off the ball (weight, exercise, dietary choices) then it is likely that you will backslide further and faster than most people would.

Having said that, I am convinced that I slowed my development of diabetes by decades. Seriously. About 28 years, approx. By eating fewer carbs than people around me. Nowadays, armed with a BG meter, it would have been sooo much more straightforward!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I didn't - but that is probably because of other health issues and family history.

I don't want to discourage you because the odds are that you can get your BG back into the normal zone.
But you may always have an increased risk, and if at some time you take your eye off the ball (weight, exercise, dietary choices) then it is likely that you will backslide further and faster than most people would.

Having said that, I am convinced that I slowed my development of diabetes by decades. Seriously. About 28 years, approx. By eating fewer carbs than people around me. Nowadays, armed with a BG meter, it would have been sooo much more straightforward!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks. Will certainly bear all this wonderful advice in mind. I'll be very interested to know my prediabetic reading from a year ago. Will check next time I'm at the surgery. Surely it can't be much lower and if it was higher then, presumably, I would have been told. Who knows?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, you can. With the right diet you can get your numbers down to non-diabetic levels and hopefully keep them there. Plenty of people on this forum with full blown type 2 have done this, starting from quite high numbers at diagnosis.

Did you ever invest in a pocket book carb counter? If, so can you recommend one?

We will be travelling to the US soon and I will be out of my 'comfort zone' as far as some food choices are concerned.