Low carbs - help needed please (I think)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi guys

I'm sure I'm having some issues with my diet. Have noticed that when I wake and I eat almost immediately, I'm good with the BS counts. Still VERY light on the meals (turkey breast / avocado / chicken / onion / lots of lettuce and veg) but never touching the "bad" stuff.

Trouble is that during the day, I get weak / unsteady in the back of the legs and when I exercise (walking) I don't seem to be able to stretch it out too far. It varies from sorta mild to non existent (especially when I lie down) but it bothers me nonetheless. Weight's fine, all else is fine, no tiredness but this feeling that my legs are pumping.

Yesterday and today, I had a Guinness (or 2) in the late afternoon, and within 2 or 3 minutes of drinking, ALL the symptoms disappeared and I feel fine.

Any ideas please?

Thanks Mike

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only new Mike, but I wonder if you are eating enough. Logic would tell me that if you are not eating enough, particularly protein, then you could get weak. The carbs in the Guinness would give you a boost and relieve the symptons. I would add more protein and see what happens.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Only new Mike, but I wonder if you are eating enough. Logic would tell me that if you are not eating enough, particularly protein, then you could get weak. The carbs in the Guinness would give you a boost and relieve the symptons. I would add more protein and see what happens.

Thank you a lot and in the absence of any other suggestions. I'll try that. This is giving me the absolute &^&*%. I wake up and I have trembles until I eat.

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand trembles, I have had them too. It is a bit better since the doctor told me to have some diet tonic water (quinine in the product). I wonder what would happen if you had a spoonful of peanut butter before bed. I will watch and see how you go.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MIKE - what did the Guiness do to your bloods? And do your arms ever feel weak?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
do you eat enough fats to replace the energy that you would otherwise get from carbohydrates?.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
MIKE - what did the Guiness do to your bloods? And do your arms ever feel weak?

Nope, arms don't feel weak. I can make a fist and hold it no problem. Just some slight trembles (legs / fingers ) when I wake up and get up and B4 brekkie.

I almost it hard to hold the strip 2 /3 minutes after waking. I hate that. Then I relax and all good in terms of use of the pen

I know the Guinness will rise it ... but I had a big serve tonight to work out what was going on. As i was eating dinner, it was 10.2, now 45 minutes later, it's down to 9.8

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope, arms don't feel weak. I can make a fist and hold it no problem. Just some slight trembles (legs / fingers ) when I wake up and get up and B4 brekkie.

I almost it hard to hold the strip 2 /3 minutes after waking. I hate that. Then I relax and all good in terms of use of the pen

I know the Guinness will rise it ... but I had a big serve tonight to work out what was going on. As i was eating dinner, it was 10.2, now 45 minutes later, it's down to 9.8

I was interested to know what it was when you felt rough, immediately before the Guinness, then I would have been curious to know the scores in the very short term, 15, 30, 45 and 60 minutes (depending on what they said, maybe a few more too).. How immediately did you feel better? As it passed your lips? 10 minutes later? An hour?

Have you ever tried waking yourself up an hour, or maybe 2 hours before your normal waking and testing? That might help you understand if you're seeing a score that's already risen on waking.

How many carbs and calories are you consuming during the day?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I was interested to know what it was when you felt rough, immediately before the Guinness, then I would have been curious to know the scores in the very short term, 15, 30, 45 and 60 minutes (depending on what they said, maybe a few more too).. How immediately did you feel better? As it passed your lips? 10 minutes later? An hour?

Have you ever tried waking yourself up an hour, or maybe 2 hours before your normal waking and testing? That might help you understand if you're seeing a score that's already risen on waking.

How many carbs and calories are you consuming during the day?

How I wish I could reply to that last sentence :) Very few I'd suggest KCaB. With my daily diet, it'd be low.

BS is now 8.7 at 1 hour after dinner so It's dropping.

As for feeling better after the Guinness, maybe 5 minutes.

I should have added that I have had a really bad flu since August. Blowing the nose constantly. That's now subsided so instead of 30 tissues a day, I'm down to 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How I wish I could reply to that last sentence :) Very few I'd suggest KCaB. With my daily diet, it'd be low.

BS is now 8.7 at 1 hour after dinner so It's dropping.

As for feeling better after the Guinness, maybe 5 minutes.

Sounds like you don't keep any food records? They really are useful, and can help check out anomalous readings from familiar foods, as well and help with tweaks. But, it does sound like you might be running low.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sounds like you don't keep any food records? They really are useful, and can help check out anomalous readings from familiar foods, as well and help with tweaks. But, it does sound like you might be running low.

I do in fact. I have not varied my brekkie / lunch / dinner routine for 3 months. ALWAYS the same thing.. Guess that's what is giving me grief.

No variation. I'm just lost

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I understand trembles, I have had them too. It is a bit better since the doctor told me to have some diet tonic water (quinine in the product). I wonder what would happen if you had a spoonful of peanut butter before bed. I will watch and see how you go.

good one. I'll try that

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I have to retire but look fwd to comments people :)

Mike

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mike, you don't happen to be on statins? They can cause strange sensations in different muscles.

And I think you eat too little. Try a steak with bearnaise sause and a salad, more protein AND more fat, and see what happens.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had similar symptoms. I added some fat to my diet which improved it a lot, but it turned out that a lot of it was B12 deficiency.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Add some fat. I had chronic pains in top legs and thighs. I believe from statin damage, but has so vastly improved since adding more fat . Mine is only through flax, chia and cream with berries for breakfastand a cream coffee in evenings and oily fish twice a week but has the majority of time improved my legs....

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thank you .... ALL of you

Much appreciated, Took my BS at 3 a.m and just now before 7 a.m. Both readings of 5.8

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Add some fat. I had chronic pains in top legs and thighs. I believe from statin damage, but has so vastly improved since adding more fat . Mine is only through flax, chia and cream with berries for breakfastand a cream coffee in evenings and oily fish twice a week but has the majority of time improved my legs....
You have top legs and bottom legs? I only have two:rolleyes:. Sorry.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I should have added one thing that slipped my mind. I forgot to take my metformin (diabex) tablet the night before last.

I reckon that explains a lot of it.