Confused

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
T

I thought I was eating healthy the way the nurse told me to eat but after all the advice iv had on here today I will defiantly be looking more closely into it tomorrow and making changes thank you x

The NHS still pushes the "healthy plate" way of eating, with loads of carbs, cereals, grains and so on. This may well be fine for non-diabetics but sadly not for Type 2 diabetics (Type 1's can be slightly different).

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NHS still pushes the "healthy plate" way of eating, with loads of carbs, cereals, grains and so on. This may well be fine for non-diabetics but sadly not for Type 2 diabetics (Type 1's can be slightly different).

Yep that's pretty much how she has told me to eat , but after all the good advice iv been given tonight I'm defiantly going to be sitting down tomorrow and making changes x

Reactions: 3 people
G

graj0

Hi Rhea,
slightly belated welcome from me too, I don't know, I turn my head away from the computer for a couple of hours and . . . . . . .
It's all been said so I'll not say too much. I see that you have several conditions to cope with, I get the feeling that you're not going to be giving up on this thing. As you start to look at nutrition in general you may even get improvements in other areas. I have been consulting a Nutritional Therapist for over a year now and I cut the rice/bread/pasta/potato just before I came to this forum. I'm pleased to say that just cutting carbs has allowed me to throw away Gliclazide, Januvia and Atorvastatin so the feeling of being in control of my own health is amazing . . . . . usually. All I had to do was cut carbs, it didn't even cost me money, just a bit of time sorting out some meal plans.
I'm certainly not going to pretend that I know much about Fibromyalgia, I did do a fair bit of googling for a friend who didn't like computers, it would be interesting to see what effect lower carbs had and if you're taking a statin . . . . . . . There's a few things to look at and I can see that you're going to get there. One thing that may be very alien is that GPs and practice nurses may not know what's best for you, they have guidelines which they have to follow, guidelines which may not be the best. I'm very lucky with my GP and practice nurse, they know that I have the luxury of being able to look things up, so they don't force anything on me, they might be wary of what I'm doing, but no fights so far. LOL
All the very best.

Reactions: 4 people

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rhea,
slightly belated welcome from me too, I don't know, I turn my head away from the computer for a couple of hours and . . . . . . .
It's all been said so I'll not say too much. I see that you have several conditions to cope with, I get the feeling that you're not going to be giving up on this thing. As you start to look at nutrition in general you may even get improvements in other areas. I have been consulting a Nutritional Therapist for over a year now and I cut the rice/bread/pasta/potato just before I came to this forum. I'm pleased to say that just cutting carbs has allowed me to throw away Gliclazide, Januvia and Atorvastatin so the feeling of being in control of my own health is amazing . . . . . usually. All I had to do was cut carbs, it didn't even cost me money, just a bit of time sorting out some meal plans.
I'm certainly not going to pretend that I know much about Fibromyalgia, I did do a fair bit of googling for a friend who didn't like computers, it would be interesting to see what effect lower carbs had and if you're taking a statin . . . . . . . There's a few things to look at and I can see that you're going to get there. One thing that may be very alien is that GPs and practice nurses may not know what's best for you, they have guidelines which they have to follow, guidelines which may not be the best. I'm very lucky with my GP and practice nurse, they know that I have the luxury of being able to look things up, so they don't force anything on me, they might be wary of what I'm doing, but no fights so far. LOL
All the very best.

Thank you huny to be honest I'm gob smacked by how nice you all are , before I wrote in I was feeling a bit dim that I couldn't make thingsmake-sense partly because of the way the ME and fibro affect my head and partly because I wasn't getting things explained properly at the doctors , at the beginning of the year I tried to do low carb way of eating but when I told my nurse she trotted off to see a doctor and came back in saying the doctor didn't want me on that kind of thing because mixed with the diabetes will make me more prone to gall stones ect so they wanted me to eat what they were telling me to eat , when I was first diagnosed they basically just said you have diabetes you'll have it all your life here's some stuff to read ( it was for a 6 year old to read ) you'll come for tests every 3 months now goodby , but looking up on the Internet the best I could just made me more confused to be honest , thank you againe for your help x

G

graj0

Thank you huny to be honest I'm gob smacked by how nice you all are , before I wrote in I was feeling a bit dim that I couldn't make thingsmake-sense partly because of the way the ME and fibro affect my head and partly because I wasn't getting things explained properly at the doctors , at the beginning of the year I tried to do low carb way of eating but when I told my nurse she trotted off to see a doctor and came back in saying the doctor didn't want me on that kind of thing because mixed with the diabetes will make me more prone to gall stones ect so they wanted me to eat what they were telling me to eat , when I was first diagnosed they basically just said you have diabetes you'll have it all your life here's some stuff to read ( it was for a 6 year old to read ) you'll come for tests every 3 months now goodby , but looking up on the Internet the best I could just made me more confused to be honest , thank you againe for your help x
I struggle filling in forms, diabetes education isn't built in and it's nice that you've come here to ask.
Not entirely sure what GP's problems is this quote "In the many years MD and I have treated countless obese patients with low-carb diets, we’ve never had a case of gallbladder disease", came from soemthing I read about curing gallstones without surgery (I'm looking for another elderly friend who hates computers http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/get-rid-gallstones-without-surgery/
I do eat loads of vegetables for lunch and dinner, not so easy if you're working and although I now tend to only eat vegetables at lunch, I always have fish, chicken, beef, pork or lamb most days of the week (making shepherds pie with quorn tonight, half with potato, half naked, the pie that is).
BTW, another good reason for reducing carbs, apart from helping BG and reducing weight a bit, if you've been having tummy problems with metformin (sorry can't remember if you said it was metformin) and I had the worse case of the runs known to mankind, lowering carbs will make metformin easier to cope with, although the sustained release version is better also.
There is a lot of information on the internet, anything that claims to be a miracle cure I would read cautiously (you never know do you?) but by and large I would say that lowering carbs is something that has to be tried. At least that way you have tried the options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I struggle filling in forms, diabetes education isn't built in and it's nice that you've come here to ask.
Not entirely sure what GP's problems is this quote "In the many years MD and I have treated countless obese patients with low-carb diets, we’ve never had a case of gallbladder disease", came from soemthing I read about curing gallstones without surgery (I'm looking for another elderly friend who hates computers http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/get-rid-gallstones-without-surgery/
I do eat loads of vegetables for lunch and dinner, not so easy if you're working and although I now tend to only eat vegetables at lunch, I always have fish, chicken, beef, pork or lamb most days of the week (making shepherds pie with quorn tonight, half with potato, half naked, the pie that is).
BTW, another good reason for reducing carbs, apart from helping BG and reducing weight a bit, if you've been having tummy problems with metformin (sorry can't remember if you said it was metformin) and I had the worse case of the runs known to mankind, lowering carbs will make metformin easier to cope with, although the sustained release version is better also.
There is a lot of information on the internet, anything that claims to be a miracle cure I would read cautiously (you never know do you?) but by and large I would say that lowering carbs is something that has to be tried. At least that way you have tried the options.

Yes Hun I am on metformin and have ad horrendous diarea with in half an hour of eating , I did tell the nurse and she said it could be the metformin because I'm now on the highest amount so she changed it to the sustained release x

G

graj0

Yes Hun I am on metformin and have ad horrendous diarea with in half an hour of eating , I did tell the nurse and she said it could be the metformin because I'm now on the highest amount so she changed it to the sustained release x
I'll stick my neck out and say it is very definitely the Metformin, I hope you get on with the SR stuff, supposed to be good.
Metformin works by delaying absorption of carbs(sugars) from the intestines into the bloodstream after eating. I'd liken it to adding go faster stripes to your carbs to get them out of the intestine as quickly as possible.

A

AnnieC

I believe I saw somewhere that these may cause glucose levels to misbehave, you may like to ask your doctor. Perhaps someone more familiar with having diabetes while on steroids will comment.
My husband was told by his GP that because he takes steriods for Polymyligia this was the likely cause of him developing T2. He has been taking them for about 3 years and was diagnosed T2 this year

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband was told by his GP that because he takes steriods for Polymyligia this was the likely cause of him developing T2. He has been taking them for about 3 years and was diagnosed T2 this year
I have also come across cases were steroids have triggered t2 diabetes.

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Th
I'll stick my neck out and say it is very definitely the Metformin, I hope you get on with the SR stuff, supposed to be good.
Metformin works by delaying absorption of carbs(sugars) from the intestines into the bloodstream after eating. I'd liken it to adding go faster stripes to your carbs to get them out of the intestine as quickly as

Thank you it makes sense explained like that x

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Iv been on steroids for nearly 5 years now and was diagnosed last dec with type 2 I'd never thought of making the connection between them x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a well known fact steroids can raise blood sugar levels. People (non-diabetics) on high dose steroids for a length of time should have regular glucose tests as part of their medication reviews. If you Google it, hundreds of pages come up about it.

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tha
It is a well known fact steroids can raise blood sugar levels. People (non-diabetics) on high dose steroids for a length of time should have regular glucose tests as part of their medication reviews. If you Google it, hundreds of pages come up about it.

Thank you iv learned more in the last 24 hours than I have in the last year x