Bleeder - sometimes forget how far I've come!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I just fired in my new set and it didn't hurt and I wasl really pleased. As I pulled the inserter out I saw blood shooting up the tubing and realised I'd hit the dreaded bleeder. I pulled the set straight away, mopped myself up and fired a new set in a little further right. Not quite as comfy as last one but no blood.

I didn't faint, shake, panic. Four years ago I hit my first bleeder and almost quit pumping! I was in such a state then I had to lie on the bed and calm down before firing in new set. As a needle phobic who isn't great with blood at all I realised this morning how far I've come. Quite proud of myself :D

Reactions: 14 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good on you for staying calm, you should feel proud.:)

It must be the season for bleeders, I haven't had one in about 4 years but last evening changing my set I had one. I'd forgotten just how much blood can shoot out of a small insertion hole :eek:

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

I take it that youve found the Inset 30 ok then, apart from hitting a bleed spot? I like it

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Wait, what? That can happen?!? Why haven't I been warned? Scared now. X

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take it that youve found the Inset 30 ok then, apart from hitting a bleed spot? I like it

My inset 30s haven't arrived yet so still using inset IIs at the moment. Have a particular area in mind to try the 30s though and not due to use it for a few weeks yet. I've been watching the youtube videos but the only thing I'm not sure of is do I place the feet flat against my skin?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck for dealing with it better than you used to @MushyPeaBrain

Do these things happen often??

Is it just a case of changing the set if this happens?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My inset 30s haven't arrived yet so still using inset IIs at the moment. Have a particular area in mind to try the 30s though and not due to use it for a few weeks yet. I've been watching the youtube videos but the only thing I'm not sure of is do I place the feet flat against my skin?
Look at this way Mushy........ Feet are meant for standing on, so yes feet go flat against the skin.
What I tend to do is pinch the skin where the 30 is going and put the 30 on the bulge then fire the inserter. You will pleased to know the noise from the inserter is minimal :)

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

They really don't happen very often, mine was the first in about 4 years, I try to avoid one area of my stomach where it seems to happen.

I just pull the set out that has caused the bleed and put a new one in elsewhere. It takes me by surprise when it does happen and always looks worse than it really is.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They really don't happen very often, mine was the first in about 4 years, I try to avoid one area of my stomach where it seems to happen.

I just pull the set out that has caused the bleed and put a new one in elsewhere. It takes me by surprise when it does happen and always looks worse than it really is.
Good to know it doesn't happen too much.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

They don't happen often - probably once a year or so. They look much worse if it's hot weather though! If you have blood in the tubing it's always best to pull the set as even if it works it effects the absorption. If I can manage them anyone can!! :)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They don't happen often - probably once a year or so. They look much worse if it's hot weather though! If you have blood in the tubing it's always best to pull the set as even if it works it effects the absorption. If I can manage them anyone can!! :)
Its good that they don't happen often.
It is the set changes I am most worried about with going ona pump but I'm sure it's just the fear of the unknown.