Am i the only one who wants a pump?

D

Deleted member 83869

I agree some people think a pump is an easy get out but it's not really is it....I think I thought that aswell a few years back but I didn't really know what one is...yeah it's a tiny bit easier but then again it's not

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do actually find it miles easier - but that could be due to an insulin change also.

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with what you say Carbsrok, for most people switching to a pump means hard work and dedication, if your not willing to do that then there's little point in making the move.

My quote that you highlighted was in reply to Engineer, as I don't think the time that someone has been diagnosed should be a major factor in deciding who gets a pump or not, we have members on here who have only been diagnosed 1-2 years and have changed over with great success, but they have been pro-active in their diabetes management and were determined to make it work, one such member is Hale.

I have only been diagnosed just over 2 years and am away to start on a pump. My clinic is very pro-insulin pumps and it was them that suggested it to me around a year ago. They did actually mention it may be a long term prospect the day after I was diagnosed, you can imagine my horrow at the thought of being attached to something 24/7 at that stage.

I am under no illusions as to how much hard work my control will take once I go on the pump, in the initial setup and going forward.

With regards to the OP, there would be absolutely no benefit in going on the pump until he can get a grasp of basic control and motivation.

D

Deleted member 83869

I do actually find it miles easier - but that could be due to an insulin change also.

What did you change from? this is stupid but how do some insulins effect others? Like what are the differences? Sorry to sound dumb!
Yes it has helped me and is the only thing that has bought my bloods down! I understand others wont think that I should have a pump!

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Noblehead it took 10 years of fighting and hoop jumping and distrust by the drs towards me to get a pump. But what frustrates me is the poor attitude and lack of trying by some who think a pump is a 'cure'.

Do the best you can with MDI before you consider a pump, its a last resort not a first.
Totally agree

Reactions: 3 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its the speed of action for me - novorapid which I was on for 16 years or there abouts would only start acting after two hours. I repeatedly told the drs this and was told it was rubbish/in my head etc. then when I changed to pump and CGM I had repeated proof from the CGM this was the case so I was changed to Humalog which acts in about 20mins.

Every short acting insulin has different speeds person to person if that helps the same as long acting insulin lasts for varying amounts of time for each person.

Reactions: 3 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I been diabetic type1 for over 50 years and over the past 2years I have been unable to recognise hypoglycaemia,I therefore getting a pump,but I would happily give up the pump to be able to recognise hypos again as I have excellent control with MDI.

D

Deleted member 83869

Its the speed of action for me - novorapid which I was on for 16 years or there abouts would only start acting after two hours. I repeatedly told the drs this and was told it was rubbish/in my head etc. then when I changed to pump and CGM I had repeated proof from the CGM this was the case so I was changed to Humalog which acts in about 20mins.

Every short acting insulin has different speeds person to person if that helps the same as long acting insulin lasts for varying amounts of time for each person.
That is very weird but atleast you knew you was right! And yes everyone is different! My rapid takes about 15-20 minutes to start working!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have only been diagnosed just over 2 years and am away to start on a pump. My clinic is very pro-insulin pumps and it was them that suggested it to me around a year ago. They did actually mention it may be a long term prospect the day after I was diagnosed, you can imagine my horrow at the thought of being attached to something 24/7 at that stage.

I am under no illusions as to how much hard work my control will take once I go on the pump, in the initial setup and going forward.

With regards to the OP, there would be absolutely no benefit in going on the pump until he can get a grasp of basic control and motivation.

Well that's good if your diabetes clinic is pro-insulin pumps, tbh it's very rare that you here of anybody wanting to give them back and that speaks volumes in how well they help to control diabetes.

But with regards to the OP, I do agree at this point a pump wouldn't be the best option at this present moment in time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If I had of known someone had a pump in their shed I would have gone and stolen it for myself.

I have thought of that myself... Not stealing but asking for it to pass on to someone else...
But parent and I live in hope that she may one day come to her senses. In the meantime it is a struggle to even get a test or injection done.....
The shame of it is, that she sees me use my pump with the remote control now and says she would use pump if it was mine....
initially she didn't even know I had a pump) not until 3rd time of going out for a meal, she didn't even know I was diabetic, as we kept that secret.
So now, she is in a catch 22. Hospital won't let her change her pump. She won't use it.
Nowadays I meet up with parent only because I don't want to cause angst that I have a pump with a remote control. It is really a sad situation and although I try to think of ways to help I can't.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have thought of that myself... Not stealing but asking for it to pass on to someone else...
But parent and I live in hope that she may one day come to her senses. In the meantime it is a struggle to even get a test or injection done.....
The shame of it is, that she sees me use my pump with the remote control now and says she would use pump if it was mine....
initially she didn't even know I had a pump) not until 3rd time of going out for a meal, she didn't even know I was diabetic, as we kept that secret.
So now, she is in a catch 22. Hospital won't let her change her pump. She won't use it.
Nowadays I meet up with parent only because I don't want to cause angst that I have a pump with a remote control. It is really a sad situation and although I try to think of ways to help I can't.

She probably says it but would she really use it just for having a remote? cant see the extra appeal myself - surely just something else to lose? how old is she?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
24 now... And no, I don't see her using a remote control. I'm a bit of a soft touch with helping people and I had considered lending her mine and doing a swap for a few months... But, decided against it.

Like @NicolaAnne1994 this girl also has back problems but has frequent injections. However Nicola tries to overcome her struggles, and not let them beat her.

It's a sad world in my eyes to see youngsters struggling to cope. As I just think of their future and the regrets they may have. Honestly it breaks my heart.

Sorry, veered off subject. Just feel so for struggling youngsters who are finding acceptance so hard.

D

Deleted member 83869

24 now... And no, I don't see her using a remote control. I'm a bit of a soft touch with helping people and I had considered lending her mine and doing a swap for a few months... But, decided against it.

Like @NicolaAnne1994 this girl also has back problems but has frequent injections. However Nicola tries to overcome her struggles, and not let them beat her.

It's a sad world in my eyes to see youngsters struggling to cope. As I just think of their future and the regrets they may have. Honestly it breaks my heart.

Sorry, veered off subject. Just feel so for struggling youngsters who are finding acceptance so hard.

Yep still plodding along...just....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is that depressing? You have been told you need to test more so you can have a pump so that's an easy requirement to fulfil I would have thought.

I didn't mean it like that, I have been testing more, it's just everyone I ask about the pump it's always the same answer that I'm not testing enough, there's some days I'm testing 7-8 times a day, how many times do I need to do it?

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I test a min of 8 times a day often 10+ times in a day when working I'll be testing every chance I get to do so because I'm prone to doing hypo while working because I'm so active that its become a way of life. I'd love a CGM but I can't afford to cost of one and a pump is way outside of my price range even with a deductible that I'd get from the Canadian Government it just wouldn't cover the cost of a pump for the year, i can't even afford the the 1k a month as it is for my diabetic supplies that I have to pay out of pocket because I don't meet the requirements for provincial aid in the matter.

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't mean it like that, I have been testing more, it's just everyone I ask about the pump it's always the same answer that I'm not testing enough, there's some days I'm testing 7-8 times a day, how many times do I need to do it?
Maybe ask your diabetes team where you are treated how many times they expect you to test a day. It all depends on the individual. I have a pump and personally I test 5 times a day unless I'm feeling unwell or I'm driving lots. I have never been told to test more. It has to relate to what you're comfortable with doing too.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I test 6-9 times a day often with a CGM attached as well if my CGM is tracking closely then it will be less than if it isnt.