Young and Newly Diagnosed

Schillers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been recently diagnosed and although I am coping with it okay I am having some difficulties.

One of my main issues is the 'Are you allowed that?' or 'Are you sure you should be doing that?'. I know I have to adopt a healthy diet and that's why I am not eating like I used to but I would like people to take a minute and stop being a tad patronising.

One of the other issues I am struggling with is that I am 23 and want to be able to go places without publicising that I am Diabetic or if it has to be known, making it a bit more fun. I was wondering if those people of a similar age could help me with finding an insulin pen case that isn't plain, something with a bit of colour and character? Does this type of thing exist.

Finally, I am wondering how others deal with jokes being made about the condition in their direction? I am normally okay with the jokes but I do have down moments. There are some times when I am struggling with coming to terms with the condition and therefore don't appreciate the jokes I receive in the workplace. I try and take comments in good humour and I have no doubt that in the near future I will fully accept my new condition and be able to take the jokes and have a laugh with the guys as I know it is not meant in malice.

Many thanks in advance to any replies. :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My own experience has been different in that only a small select few ever know about my diabetes...............try and keep the knowledge of your condition limited to that select few who you wouldn't mind if they asked questions like 'should you have that' etc..........

strangers asking questions like that I can imagine would get annoying......

there are pens that come in all sort of colours, maybe someone younger than me [30...:(] could point you in the right direction...

oh, and welcome...........:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Schillers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My own experience has been different in that only a small select few ever know about my diabetes...............try and keep the knowledge of your condition limited to that select few who you wouldn't mind if they asked questions like 'should you have that' etc..........

strangers asking questions like that I can imagine would get annoying......

there are pens that come in all sort of colours, maybe someone younger than me [30...:(] could point you in the right direction...

oh, and welcome...........:)

Thanks for the reply.

I have a blue pen which I am fine with but I thought I would need a case in order to keep the insulin relatively cool instead of warming up in my pocket? I don't know if this is a real issue? That and carrying the needles in a case is probably a good idea?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
We have some lovely members here who like to give h their help and support , we were all newly diagnosed at one time ( I was 25 years ago ) :cool:

Best wishes

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply.

I have a blue pen which I am fine with but I thought I would need a case in order to keep the insulin relatively cool instead of warming up in my pocket? I don't know if this is a real issue? That and carrying the needles in a case is probably a good idea?

insulin is fine for 30 days or so at room temperature, so you don't need to worry about that.......

you will soon find what suits yo best..........

when injecting I used the Novorapid and Levemir FlexPens, so disposable..............I just popped the needle on and also carried a spare in case......