Insulin and weight gain

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just something that's been worrying me. If as a T1 you are low-carbing and taking small doses of insulin, and your total calorie intake is at or below the level it should be for your weight, height, activity level etc, can you still gain weight from using insulin? I would have thought it wasn't possible. Am I right though, people, from your experience? Have most of you careful carbers/insuliners stayed the same weight? I know robert72 has.

Lucy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't restrict carbs by too much (average around 180g a day) and my TDD is between 32- 36 units, however I've kept around the same weight for the last few years by eating healthy and exercising regularly, before then I was over two stone heavier and my TDD was around 66 units.

Personally I never count calories now and the only thing I do count with regards to food is carbs.

Reactions: 4 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I did gain weight on Lantus and Levemir, but lost it again when I came off them.... so as ever, we're all different.

Like Shedges and Noblehead said, I never count calories - only carbs - and I have between 90-130g carbs a day, plus lots of walking :)

PS - my TDD on analogues was between 15 and 30 depending where I am in my cycle; it doubles for me before my period! On porcine it's a bit different as they're a bit different.... but same pattern cycle.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But did you feel you were eating a lot? (I mean, can insulin put weight on you without some carbs to lay down?)

I only notice cals in that I monitor my protein and fat as well ( to have lots of fat and not much protein). Targets from Jenny Ruhl: 5% of total energy carb, 15% protein, 80% fat.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Fat and protein will also raise blood sugar levels but at a much slower rate than carbs. Insulin enables the body to make use of sugars produced from fat, protein and (mainly) carbs. It enables the body to use sugars as an immediate source of fuel and it enables the body to store unused sugars - as body fat.
Basically, if you eat more than your lifestyle calls for and take insulin to cover what you have eaten then yes - insulin will make you fat.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally, login. My question is, if you don't eat a whole lot and you are very low carb, and total energy intake not exceeding needs, is it *still* possible to gain weight? Ie can the weight gain be made up of something other than excess energy intake? Water, e.g.?

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Water retention certainly, constipation maybe but I would think in both cases a maximum weight would be reached - else explosion may occur :eek:
If someone is consistently gaining weight which can't be attributed to their food intake I would say they should get checked out medically in case they have reduced metabolism or, God forbid, an abnormal mass growing inside them :wideyed:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds as if weight gain unlikely if Xcessive food/carbs not eaten.

Good.