Grapefruit juice investigated as treatment for diabetes

DCUK NewsBot

A study conducted at the University of California, Berkeley, has investigated whether grapefruit juice could be used as an effective treatment for diabetes. The researchers fed different groups of mice a combination of liquids. These included grapefruit juice and water that contained meformin, a drug widely used to treat people with type 2 diabetes. Grapefruit juice effects The report showed that the mice fed a high-fat diet and drank grapefruit juice lost 18 per cent more weight than the group of mice that drank sweetened water. This corresponded with a 13-17 per cent drop in blood glucose levels which in turn saw an improvement in insulin sensitivity. The biggest finding was that the mice whose blood sugar was reduced after drinking grapefruit juice displayed glucose-lowering effects that were just as successful as the mice who sipped on metformin. Restrictions None of the mice involved in the study had diabetes, so these findings currently bear little relevance to diabetes in humans. However, the use of grapefruit juice as a treatment to reduce glucose levels is one that had Berkeley scientists excited for future trials. "It was very surprising," said Joseph Napoli PhD, co-author of the study and Professor and Chair of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology at the University of California, Berkeley. "When someone says a particular food has this magic quality of improving your health all by itself, we mostly take that kind of claim with a grain of salt". The Berkeley researchers are now focused on conducting further trials with humans as the next participants.

Continue reading...

Ann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A study conducted at the University of California, Berkeley, has investigated whether grapefruit juice could be used as an effective treatment for diabetes. The researchers fed different groups of mice a combination of liquids. These included grapefruit juice and water that contained meformin, a drug widely used to treat people with type 2 diabetes. Grapefruit juice effects The report showed that the mice fed a high-fat diet and drank grapefruit juice lost 18 per cent more weight than the group of mice that drank sweetened water. This corresponded with a 13-17 per cent drop in blood glucose levels which in turn saw an improvement in insulin sensitivity. The biggest finding was that the mice whose blood sugar was reduced after drinking grapefruit juice displayed glucose-lowering effects that were just as successful as the mice who sipped on metformin. Restrictions None of the mice involved in the study had diabetes, so these findings currently bear little relevance to diabetes in humans. However, the use of grapefruit juice as a treatment to reduce glucose levels is one that had Berkeley scientists excited for future trials. "It was very surprising," said Joseph Napoli PhD, co-author of the study and Professor and Chair of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology at the University of California, Berkeley. "When someone says a particular food has this magic quality of improving your health all by itself, we mostly take that kind of claim with a grain of salt". The Berkeley researchers are now focused on conducting further trials with humans as the next participants.

Continue reading...
Interesting one. I am led to believe that a lot of diabetics are also on statins.l. If they are they are not supposed to eat grapefruit. So if this does prove to be good for lowering blood sugars then may not be able to be used by many people.

K

Kat100

Statins and grapefruit came to mind ....they are a no
Unless other medications can be used if required ....
If it worked though ....goodness ...every type of this disease needs a good break through ...when ...

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I have a grape fruit couple times a week, i'm only on insulin and nothing else (I can't be put on any current cholesterol lowering medication on the market as nun of them are right for me, even the fall back nicine though workable has issues in its pill form, in food its not an issue). Can't say that I've noticed it helping with my own insulin needs, but that could be the difference between T1 n T2s

biggles36

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Continue reading...
Thank you for your interesting post. However, when I had two minor hear attacks some five years ago I was told that under no circumstances was I to have anything to do with grapefruit as it would negate the effects of some of the more common heart trouble medication. I would add that a tin of grapefruit straight out of the fridge for breakfast was to me one of life's greatest treats!